Je Suis Charlie ...

Tools    

I don't know if the events that took place in Paris yesterday made it to you all, but I take the opportunity to start a thread.

Tragic. It's a mad mad mad world.... killing each other for after all..... nothing

All the families of the dead have my sympathies and pray that it doesn't happen again

#CharlieHedbo #FreedomOfSpeech

I was going to post some of the reactiosn I saw yesterday. As a thread's been started, I'll put them here. The language might not quite fit the sites guidelines, but I think Yoda will forgive it just the once.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
To paraphrase something I heard several years ago: Some fundamentalists don't have faith; they have a mental illness.

More turmoil in Paris : two hostage situations, one with the two killers from the Charlie Hebdo massacre. Paris is a 4 hour drive away for me, so it does feel like really nearby.

Another picture I would like to share here:

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Looks like several more people killed in one or both of the hostage situations. World has gone mad.

To put things in perspective

No, they won't. And you tried to make this issue a proxy for all religious thought earlier in the thread, and others (wisely) refused to take the bait.

It's very big in the news here in Belgium (a Belgian woman and child were also part of the hostages today).

I think about 19 people have been killed in the last three days all combined and there are still a few in critical condition.

Heavy stuff.

Our western world will need a very thoroughly thought out plan to deal with the Islamic terrorism that's coming over from Syria and other parts from the Middle East. It's insane that this happened in the first place and it's even more insane that this went on for three whole days!

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
They won't in my lifetime, but I can't wait for the future generations to enjoy.

It's just a matter of time. Just look at history, and then consider we have the internet now.. It could be hundreds of years from now, or longer.. I'm not saying deism will die out, I have nothing against that. I'm hoping the ideas will remain. Thou shall not kill is a good one, but then so many "religious" people are for the death penalty. I don't consider those cowards who killed great people who did good work religious. They were nuts. Maybe motivated by religion, which was their cancer.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
What I don't know is how we can solve this problem. I don't want a more fearful civilization, more security, because in some ways, they have won... Just go on an airplane.

I think there's no way to prevent this from happening. I think most of these assassins might have done something crazy anyway, and with all the attention they see on the news, internet, they capitalize on it, and become more extreme by following whatever group... I don't mind having lax security and understanding things like this will happen from time to time.

It's very big in the news here in Belgium (a Belgian woman and child were also part of the hostages today).

I think about 19 people have been killed in the last three days all combined and there are still a few in critical condition.

Heavy stuff.

Our western world will need a very thoroughly thought out plan to deal with the Islamic terrorism that's coming over from Syria and other parts from the Middle East. It's insane that this happened in the first place and it's even more insane that this went on for three whole days!

They won't in my lifetime, but I can't wait for the future generations to enjoy.

It's just a matter of time. Just look at history, and then consider we have the internet now.. It could be hundreds of years from now, or longer..
Yeah, looking at history is precisely how I know this is wrong (and a terrible thing to hope for, given its track record).

If you want to wishcast about religion dying, start a thread, please. I'll participate. It's a force-fit in this topic, though.

There's only one way religion will die and that's to prove it completely wrong.

The only way to do that is finding life on another planet/moon.

Sounds radical, but it's the only way I can see it happening.

As for these terrorists... all they seem to be doing is driving us all closer together.