Movies that have been robbed at the Oscars

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Sometimes a movie wins at the Academy Awards, and years later, people wonder, "What were they thinking?"

Was "Rocky" really a better movie than "Network"? Was Spielberg robbed when "Gandhi" won instead of "E.T."? Should "Brokeback Mountain" have won the Oscar instead of "Crash"?

What do you think? What movies that didn't win the Oscar, should have won over the actual winner?

Feel free to mention any acting, directing or other runner-ups who you think should have won too.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'm in the minority, but I really preferred The Descendants over The Artist. And Shawshank over Pulp. Of course, the history of the oscar has always been fascinating to me, much unlike a majority of this forum.

I'm in the minority, but I really preferred The Descendants over The Artist. And Shawshank over Pulp. Of course, the history of the oscar has always been fascinating to me, much unlike a majority of this forum.
I really like both movie ! but yeah Shawshank is better than Pulp Fiction in my opinion too !

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

I love the movie "The Descendants". I think "The Artist" was a good movie, but it had an edge because it was unique, and sometimes that's enough to sway the voters.

This past year Inside Llewyn Davis got completely robbed at the oscars. Only one nomination and that was just for like, sound editing. Oscar Isaac was freaking amazing in that movie! He actually played the songs in the movie and was great at it, and he could convey pain and sadness without even saying a word! He showed so much emotion in his face alone. Not to mention, just a great movie. It's not the happiest story but, its got great performances, a haunting story, fantastic music, just alltogether a great movie. I was so mad when I saw how robbed it was.
Fire walk with me.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Whoops. Shawshank over Gump. And that's saying a lot people Gump is also top 20 for me.

Also, I think Zero Dark Thirty should have won over Argo.
I think The Master should've won over both of them.

A few others -

Taxi Driver over Rocky

Goodfellas over Dances with Wolves

There Will Be Blood over No Country for Old Men

Sense and Sensibility over Braveheart

My personal choices would be:

The Verdict over Gandhi
Up in the Air or Up over The Hurt Locker
The Fugitive over Schindler's List
American Hustle over 12 Years a Slave (I enjoyed 12 Years a Slave but American Hustle deserved it more)
The Pianist or Lord of the Rings 2 over Chicago
Jerry Maguire or Fargo over The English Patient
Frost/Nixon, The Dark Knight (which wasn't nominated), Revolutionary Road (which wasn't nominated), Gran Torino (which wasn't nominated), Doubt (which wasn't nominated), or Wall-E (which wasn't nominated) over Slumdog Millionaire

It's a Wonderful Life over The Best Year of our Lives

Sometimes a movie wins at the Academy Awards, and years later, people wonder, "What were they thinking?"

Was "Rocky" really a better movie than "Network"? Was Spielberg robbed when "Gandhi" won instead of "E.T."? Should "Brokeback Mountain" have won the Oscar instead of "Crash"?

What do you think? What movies that didn't win the Oscar, should have won over the actual winner?

Feel free to mention any acting, directing or other runner-ups who you think should have won too.
Personally I'm fine with Crash winning over Brokeback Mountain

I also think Network should have won over Rocky, but I also know there are a lot of people out there who think Taxi Driver should have won that year. I wouldn't have minded Brokeback Mountain winning Best Picture, but I'm OK with the Crash win. I would also mention that I have never gotten over Goodfellas losing Best Picture to Dances with Wolves and if you want to go old school on this subject, never was crazy about A Man for All Seasons winning over Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? or An American in Paris winning over A Streetcar Named Desire.

[quote=Scorsesefan;1112002]My personal choices would be:

American Hustle over 12 Years a Slave (I enjoyed 12 Years a Slave but American Hustle deserved it more)

i feel completely the opposite way. I didn't find 12 Years a Slave to be enjoyable at all, but damn it was a good movie. And American Hustle i felt was a really great movie and really enjoyable

My personal choices would be:

The Verdict over Gandhi
Up in the Air or Up over The Hurt Locker
The Fugitive over Schindler's List
The Pianist or Lord of the Rings 2 over Chicago
Jerry Maguire or Fargo over The English Patient
Frost/Nixon, The Dark Knight (which wasn't nominated), Revolutionary Road (which wasn't nominated), Gran Torino (which wasn't nominated), Doubt (which wasn't nominated), or Wall-E (which wasn't nominated) over Slumdog Millionaire

It's a Wonderful Life over The Best Year of our Lives
I don't know about The Verdict over Gandhi, but I definitely would have picked Paul Newman over Ben Kingsley...I think The Verdict is Paul Newman's best performance.

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
They're both great movies but I think Fellowship of the Ring should have beaten A Beautiful Mind for Best Picture. Crowe definitely should have won Best Actor for it though.

Thane of Glamis, Thane of Cawdor, & King Hereafter
Of course, the history of the oscar has always been fascinating to me, much unlike a majority of this forum.
So I'm not alone! The Oscars fascinate me as well!

Now, for my pick of snubs (my choice on left, actual winner on right):
-Citizen Kane/How Green Was My Valley (1941)
-The Ten Commandments/Around the World in Eighty Days (1956)
-Star Wars/Annie Hall (1977)
-E.T./Gandhi (1982)
-Shawshank Redemption/Forrest Gump (1994) (Though FG is a fantastic movie!)
-Saving Private Ryan/Shakespeare in Love (1998)
-The Green Mile/American Beauty (1999) (I know, I'm in the minority here.)
-LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring/A Beautiful Mind (2001)
-LOTR: The Two Towers/Chicago (2002)
-Good Night, and Good Luck./Crash (2005)
-The Dark Knight/Slumdog Millionaire (2008) (And the only case where my choice wasn't even a nominee!)
-Life of Pi/Argo (2012)

Thane of Glamis, Thane of Cawdor, & King Hereafter
Oh, oh! May I add one more?

Also one that wasn't nominated for the BP Oscar, but I think should have won (same rule from above post applies): Psycho/The Apartment (1960).