Hollywood Does Ancient History

Tools    

My life isn't written very well.
Someone, in another thread, said people don't like movies about history. Well get ready for a slew of movies with big-name stars that will make even your Encarta jealous. My resources tell me that Hollywood is about to enter another of it's trends, that is making a whole bunch of movies with something in common; this time the theme is ancient history. Here are a few pics either in production or scouting locations as we speak:

Russell Crowe will fight in the Napoleonic Wars in "Master and Commander" due in June 2003.

Leonardo DiCaprio is scheduled to star in Baz Luhrmann's planned "Alexander the Great" biopic.

Mel Gibson is behind the camera right now, directing Jim Caviezel as Jesus Christ in "Passion".

Wolfgang Peterson, working for Warner Brothers, will direct Brad Pitt as Achilles, in "Troy", a Trojan War epic. Shooting is scheduled to begin in early spring.

Keanu Reeves is looking over a script about Roman Emperor Constantine.

Vin Diesel has signed to do a biopic of Hannibal; the Carthaginian on an elephant. By the way, Denzel Washington also has a Hannibal film in the works.

Michael Mann's "Gates of Fire" is shooting now, about the 480 B.C. Battle of Thermopylae.

Maybe now I can get a few answers right on Jeapordy!

--source: "Entertainment Weekly"

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
I'm all for it, beats the hell out of the how many explosions and CGI effects we can put into 2 hours trend going on now.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

My life isn't written very well.
Well, unfortunately there is a side note 'viddy;

Garfield, the comic strip cat, created by Jim Davis will be getting his own live action movie, I just found out.

Hmm...Live action...human actors...how will they get that blasted cat to come to life?
You guessed it; he will be a CGI creation a la Scooby-Doo!

Ziggy just fired his agent

Michael Mann's "Gates of Fire" is shooting now, about the 480 B.C. Battle of Thermopylae
I’m all for some historical movies too… I just hope Hollywood doesn’t screw this one up… the Spartans were awesome warriors… their loyalty and bravery at the battle of Thermopylae was amazing…

Ugh!… are they determine to ruin every cartoon character… ... Ziggy's smart ...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally posted by r3port3r66
Michael Mann's "Gates of Fire" is shooting now, about the 480 B.C. Battle of Thermopylae.

There's potential there.

My "resources" told me these same movies were in production and trumpeted Hollywood's return to historical epics. However my one source was a USA Today cover story a couple weeks ago with Russell Crowe in his sailor getup. He looked ridiculous.

I'm looking forward to absolutely none of these movies!
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally posted by Holden Pike

Russell Crowe in his sailor getup. He looked ridiculous.

The picture I saw of Crowe was not the best but his British Naval uniform looked very authentic…

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Originally posted by r3port3r66
[b]
Keanu Reeves is looking over a script about Roman Emperor Constantine.
[b]
Actually, this isn't true. Keanu Reeves is looking at the lead part in the movie Constantine, which is based upon the comic book anti-hero John Constantine, star of the Vertigo title Hellblazer. Just lettin' ya know.

Also, The Rock is looking at a movie about the Hawaiian king, Kamehamaha. (I hope I spelled that right...) This is very true.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Back with a bang!
Russell Crowe will fight in the Napoleonic Wars in "Master and Commander" due in June 2003.
That doesn't sound very ancient to me

Anyway:
Altough I'm quite sure Hollywood will mess up history like they always do, I must say I rather look forward to some of those flicks. As long as a movie has some mighty battle scenes, it can be worth paying a few bucks to se it in the theatre, even if the rest of the movie sucks. For example, I actually enjoyed watching both Pearl Harbor and Enemy at the Gates. Well, when I say enjoyed, I mean that I thougth the battles made the films worth watching, while at the same time I couldn't stand the rest of the movies.