Skepsis' 100

→ in
Tools    

Skepsis' 100: 2013 Update

Hi!

I thought about doing another 50 but I decided I didn't want to be so picky and give a better, more rounded view of my tastes, so I'm using several criteria here. Some I love dearly and would call my absolute favourites – those are in the top 50. Those below are favourites, but above all are films that have, in some unique way, stuck in my mind – maybe it contains a performance I love, or I was blown away by the craft, or it's a childhood favourite that evokes a great deal of nostalgia for me. Whatever it is, I love a lot of movies in lots of different ways and I wanted them all to be included here.

Above all I think I want this to be a record of my tastes and cinematic experience up to this point. Comparing this list to the top 50 I did has revealed just how much I have experienced in the last two years or so and I want to be able to look back in another two years (or however long) and see how much progress I've made; how my tastes have changed. I figured that as long as I'm doing that, I might as well share it with you lot – so here it is.

Once again, I'm sure I don't need to remind you that I don’t profess this to be a list of the "best" films in any way, shape or form. I'm in no way qualified nor have I seen enough movies to be able to do that, and have many deficiencies in important films and filmmakers that I am in the continual process of rectifying. So expect to see some not-so-guilty pleasures, and don't be surprised to see some "lesser" films ranked above "important" ones. That said, I do think I have a good mix here and hope that everyone sees something that they like.

I hope you enjoy, and remember – don't take it too seriously!

The list:
100. MY DINNER WITH ANDRE
99. FINDING NEMO
98. HAPPY GILMORE
97. KICK-ASS
96. THAT THING YOU DO!
95. THE STRAIGHT STORY
94. FARGO
93. THE BREAKFAST CLUB
92. KINSEY
91. UP
90. THE ARTIST

89. PLEASANTVILLE
88. COOL RUNNINGS
87. PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE
86. CHINATOWN
85. HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS: PART 2
84. O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU?
83. THE DISCREET CHARM OF THE BOURGEOISIE
82. MONSTERS, INC.
81. DEAD POETS SOCIETY
80. BACK TO THE FUTURE PART III

79. CHILDREN OF MEN
78. THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD
77. ANNIE HALL
76. NORTH BY NORTHWEST
75. MYSTIC RIVER
74. THE GREEN MILE
73. RUN LOLA RUN
72. MULHOLLAND DRIVE
71. LET THE RIGHT ONE IN
70. LADY VENGEANCE

69. AN AMERICAN CRIME
68. BEING JOHN MALKOVICH
67. TOY STORY
66. MIDNIGHT IN PARIS
65. GROUNDHOG DAY
64. HARD CANDY
63. BLACK DYNAMITE
62. PSYCHO
61. PAN'S LABYRINTH
60. NETWORK

59. BELLFLOWER
58. PULP FICTION
57. ALMOST FAMOUS
56. TOOTSIE
55. TAXI DRIVER
54. 12 ANGRY MEN
53. HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON
52. LA JETÉE
51. THE MASTER
50. SE7EN

49. CAPOTE
48. SCHOOL OF ROCK
47. GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER
46. AMÉLIE
45. VERTIGO
44. THE LION KING
43. BRUCE ALMIGHTY
42. THE STATION AGENT
41. THE GRADUATE
40. BLACK SWAN

39. BATTLE ROYALE
38. THERE WILL BE BLOOD
37. WALL-E
36. KILL BILL: VOL. 1
35. JUNO
34. REQUIEM FOR A DREAM
33. LARS AND THE REAL GIRL
32. CARRIE
31. MAGNOLIA
30. FORREST GUMP

29. INTO THE WILD
28. THE SOCIAL NETWORK
27. ONCE
26. PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK
25. LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE
24. INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS
23. TARZAN
22. SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS
21. THE KING OF KONG
20. THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS

19. THE APARTMENT
18. HAPPINESS
17. THE TRUMAN SHOW
16. IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE
15. HAROLD AND MAUDE
14. GONE WITH THE WIND
13. CITY OF GOD
12. DONNIE DARKO
11. THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING

10. BACK TO THE FUTURE
9. SINGIN' IN THE RAIN
8. LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
7. BEFORE SUNRISE & BEFORE SUNSET
6. LOST IN TRANSLATION
5. AMERICAN BEAUTY
4. THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING
3. THE SAVAGES
2. SUPER
1. ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND

100. My Dinner with Andre
Louis Malle, 1981
Wallace Shawn & Andre Gregory

"Remember that moment when Marlon Brando sent the Indian woman to accept the Oscar, and everything went haywire? Things just very rarely go haywire now. If you're just operating by habit, then you're not really living."

99. Finding Nemo
Andrew Stanton & Lee Unkrich, 2003
Albert Brooks, Ellen DeGeneres & Alexander Gould

"If this is some kind of practical joke, it's not funny. And I know funny, I'm a clownfish."

98. Happy Gilmore
Dennis Dugan, 1996
Adam Sandler, Christopher McDonald & Julie Bowen

"Damn you people. This is golf, not a rock concert."

97. Kick-Ass
Matthew Vaughn, 2010
Aaron Taylor Johnson, Nicolas Cage & Chloe Grace Moretz

"Like every serial killer already knew, eventually fantasizing just doesn't do it for you anymore."

96. That Thing You Do!
Tom Hanks, 1996
Tom Hanks, Liv Tyler & Tom Everett Scott

"I've found that a hit record is like a stew. All the ingredients have to
come together just right. Otherwise, it's just soup."

for Happy Gilmore - even though I haven't seen it. It's still Adam Sandler.

for Happy Gilmore - even though I haven't seen it. It's still Adam Sandler.
That and Punch-Drunk Love are the only movies of his that I really like. I don't find him as offensively bad as most others do, but then again I haven't seen any of his most recent movies - Click or Bedtime Stories might have been the last one, and I didn't like either of those.

You should check out Happy Gilmore though - I think you'd like it.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Happy Gilmore is possibly my favorite Sandler comedy vehicle.

"Just tap it in, tap, tap, tap it in, do a little tappy."

Finding Nemo and Kick Ass are pretty good films, I want to see My Dinner with Andre

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Man are you guys just screwing with me?! I take all the time to work on the top 100 lists of the board to the point where it is completely up to date, and within minutes Sexy Celebrity has a new list. And now you!!!

Anyway great to see you starting a new list. Curious to see what you come up with. So far I love Finding Nemo and really enjoy both Happy Gilmore and Kick-Ass. Not seen the other two although been curious to see Tom Hanks' directorial debut, That Thing You Do, for a while..

Happy Gilmore is on of my five fave comedies for sure. Really like That Thing You Do, but haven't thought about it in years, might be time for a revisit.

Man are you guys just screwing with me?! I take all the time to work on the top 100 lists of the board to the point where it is completely up to date, and within minutes Sexy Celebrity has a new list. And now you!!!

Haha! I didn't plan it that way, honest...

Anyway great to see you starting a new list. Curious to see what you come up with. So far I love Finding Nemo and really enjoy both Happy Gilmore and Kick-Ass. Not seen the other two although been curious to see Tom Hanks' directorial debut, That Thing You Do, for a while..
Thanks, mate. I think you'd like That Thing You Do, it's very silly and a hell of a lot of fun. And if you're ever in a philosophical mood, Andre is the perfect film for that situation.

Happy Gilmore is on of my five fave comedies for sure. Really like That Thing You Do, but haven't thought about it in years, might be time for a revisit.
Sandler is at his peak in Happy Gilmore, a favorite of mine as well.
Happy Gilmore is possibly my favorite Sandler comedy vehicle.

"Just tap it in, tap, tap, tap it in, do a little tappy."
I must admit I was expecting to be lambasted for Happy Gilmore... good to see it getting some love.

Shall we continue?

95. The Straight Story
David Lynch, 1999
Richard Farnsworth, Sissy Spacek & Harry Dean Stanton

"Anger, vanity, you mix that together with liquor, you've got two brothers that haven't spoken in ten years. Ah, whatever it was that made me and Lyle so mad... don't matter anymore. I want to make peace, I want to sit with him, look up at the stars... like we used to do, so long ago."

94. Fargo
Joel & Ethan Coen, 1996
William H. Macy, Frances McDormand & Steve Buscemi

"Just keep it still back there, lady, or we're going to have to, you know, shoot you."

93. The Breakfast Club
John Hughes, 1985
Emilio Estevez, Judd Nelson & Molly Ringwald

"We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all."

92. Kinsey
Bill Condon, 2004
Liam Neeson, Laura Linney & Peter Sarsgaard

"Everybody's sin is nobody's sin, and everybody's crime is no crime at all."

91. Up
Pete Docter & Bob Peterson, 2009
Ed Asner, Jordan Nagai & John Ratzenberger

"Hey, let's play a game. It's called 'See Who Can Be Quiet the Longest'".
"Cool! My mom loves that game!"

Fargo is a good pick, and while it's good, I think it's one of Coen Brothers weaker films. I'll be watching Straight Story before the 90s MoFo list.

I really want to see this list.I was planning to see Network for ages but when you gave a 4.5 in Move Tab thread I finally got myself to watch it and ended up loving it. I also finally watched Star Wars which,I believe, you also mentioned somewhere.So,I'll be looking forward to the list.

I'm not a huge fan of animation so Finding Nemo and Up left me emotionless.
I like Fargo,Happy Gilmore and Kick-Ass.
Haven't seen the others but they don't look very interesting,except for Breakfast Club.

Well this is a somewhat disappointing list so far. Props for Breakfast Club and maybe Kickass. I've still yet to see The Straight Story, but the rest an unimpressive.

Also, even though i'm glad you're not just listing random stuff, you need to do better than putting a quote from the film underneath a random pic. Think about your list better, man. We'll respect you more for it. See myself, Brodinski, Honeykid, Pyro and mark F's lists for reference.