Gritty And Crime Brit Faves

Tools    

I really must be into this stuf if I'm doing it late Friday night, huh?
Anyone have anything that they would love to add to this gritty list?

The Bank Job
Cash
Charlie ( Luke Goss )
Circus
Crank ( 1 & 2 )
The Crew
Dead Man Running
Dead Man's Shoes
Essex Boys
Face
The Football Factory
Gangster No. 1
Get Carter ( Michael Caine )
Green Street Hooligans ( 1 & 2 )
Heavy
The Hit
I'll Sleep When I'm Dead ( Clive Owen )
The Krays
The Killing Kind
Harry Brown
Let Him Have It
The Limey
Lock Stock And Two Smoking Barrels
The Long Good Friday
Outlaw
Played
Revolver
Rise Of The Foot Soldier
Rock N Rolla
Sexy Beast
Shiner
Snatch
Stormy Monday
The Transporter ( 1, 2, 3 )

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Brighton Rock
Croupier
The Crying Game
44 Inch Chest
London to Brighton
Mona Lisa
Nil By Mouth
Quadrophenia
Shallow Grave
Trainspotting

Brighton Rock
Croupier
The Crying Game
44 Inch Chest
London to Brighton
Mona Lisa
Nil By Mouth
Quadrophenia
Shallow Grave
Trainspotting
Wasn't Quadrophonia kind of like a rock opera? All the rest of those movies I have but have them in different categories ( such as drama or dark ).
Shallow Grave I really liked. Brighton Rock I haven't seen, so I'll check it out.
Your monicker reminds me of a ( not British ) movie I loved: Thursday ( Thomas Jane ).
Have you seen it?

Great list; I just watched Essex Boys and really liked it. I don't see "Layer Cake" mentioned-really good.
Yes, with Daniel Craig. You are right. Saw it, just don't have it in my collection. Should get it.

Good additions, TN. I can't believe I didn't see that Mona Lisa was missing. A brilliant film.

Though I've not seen the remake, I'm assuming that TN means the 1947 version of Brighton Rock, with Richard Attenborough, and not the remake released last year. I think you'll like the early one, CA.

Good additions, TN. I can't believe I didn't see that Mona Lisa was missing. A brilliant film.

Though I've not seen the remake, I'm assuming that TN means the 1947 version of Brighton Rock, with Richard Attenborough, and not the remake released last year. I think you'll like the early one, CA.
Thanks, I'll have it within the next few days.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Wasn't Quadrophonia kind of like a rock opera?
No. Quadrophenia does have a soundtrack by The Who, but it is not to be confused with their rock opera Tommy. It's not really as gritty as others on the list, but definitely an interesting film.

Summary from imdb:
Director Franc Roddam has brought us an array of young British acting talents who bring back London's nineteen-sixties Mods and Rockers. Set against the soundtrack of The Who's 1973 mighty concept album "Quadrophenia", Phil Daniels plays working-class Jimmy, the drug-induced Mod, who hates his job and is misunderstood by his parents. But by night, he comes alive, with the all-nighters, his pills and his scooter-riding friends. Always on a high, life can't get any better. Then there's the Brighton scooter run, where both Mods and Rockers converge, ending in the battle of the cults on Brighton Beach. What goes up must come down, and with Jimmy's come-down, his life is turned around, and so begins his downward spiral into paranoia and isolation, and the four-faceted mindset: Quadrophenia. With its extremely realistic language, violent overtones and classic sixties soundtrack, this illness is bound to be contagious. Come along for the ride. Written by Cinema_Fan

And no, I haven't seen Thursday. Is it good?

No. Quadrophenia does have a soundtrack by The Who, but it is not to be confused with their rock opera Tommy. It's not really as gritty as others on the list, but definitely an interesting film.

Summary from imdb:
Director Franc Roddam has brought us an array of young British acting talents who bring back London's nineteen-sixties Mods and Rockers. Set against the soundtrack of The Who's 1973 mighty concept album "Quadrophenia", Phil Daniels plays working-class Jimmy, the drug-induced Mod, who hates his job and is misunderstood by his parents. But by night, he comes alive, with the all-nighters, his pills and his scooter-riding friends. Always on a high, life can't get any better. Then there's the Brighton scooter run, where both Mods and Rockers converge, ending in the battle of the cults on Brighton Beach. What goes up must come down, and with Jimmy's come-down, his life is turned around, and so begins his downward spiral into paranoia and isolation, and the four-faceted mindset: Quadrophenia. With its extremely realistic language, violent overtones and classic sixties soundtrack, this illness is bound to be contagious. Come along for the ride. Written by Cinema_Fan

And no, I haven't seen Thursday. Is it good?
Yes it's great. Thomas Jane ( Killshot, The Punisher) plays the lead. It's about a guy that all of a sudden start experiencing all kinds of extreme and unforceen events in the course of one Thursday ). It's a dark and quircky movie. I recommend the other two in parenthesis, especially Killshot, from a book by Elmore Leonard. Mickey Rourcke will blow you away.

there's a frog in my snake oil
This is England (& the TV follow ups)
Made in Britain
My Name is Joe
Scum

*EDIT* These are more on the 'gritty' end of the spectrum, but they've all got crime elements that are central to the plot.

Some I adore:

^ The original, Nick Love's was a decent attempt from a different point of view, but this was a lot better.

^ Didn't like Noel Clarke's other films before this, but enjoyed 4.3.2.1.

Fantastic directing debut from Paddy Considine, won the BAFTA last night for Outstanding Debut:

^ A fantastic opening.

Thanks for The Firm ( not in the US except for Tom Cruise movie of same name) Scum I've seen and liked.

Get Carter is one of the coolest, calmest, business like British crime films that I have seen. Yes, I mean the original one with Michael Caine. It is also the best modern day film noir. There isn't a whole lot of gratuitous violence, rough language, or overt threats in it. But that's one of the things I love about it. Caine and the other characters go about their business with professionalism. There is a lot of underlying tension here. Caine's adversaries prefer to be gentlemen gangsters at first, hoping they can persuade him to go away. But Carter coolly makes his rounds trying to get to the bottom of his brother's death. Caine's Carter is intimidating and can make a man quake in his boots without raising a hand. He just has a cold-blooded look about him. and you sense an undercurrent of violence which surfaces several times. Carter won't go away and eventually both sides react with final and swift justice. It has a really good ending.

Yeah, I also really liked Layer Cake.

You guys have mentioned all the ones I like that I can think of offhand. I need to watch more of these.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!