Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone

Tools    

So, why aren't you geeks all a quiver with chat about how awesome this double-disc DVD is? Has the obvious superiority of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring and all-out comic book fun of Spider-Man put the Potter mania in perspective already?

I was underwhelmed by it in the theater. I thought it was good, but certainly not great even for a Kids movie, so I wasn't going to be rushing out for a DVD anyway. But what about the rest of yous?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

My only complaints with the DVD is that the deleted scenes are harder to find than they ought to be, and that some of the menu options are horribly undescriptive. Loved the film, and I love the disc set overall, however. I'll be buying it shortly, I'm sure.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Originally posted by Yoda
My only complaints with the DVD is that the deleted scenes are harder to find than they ought to be, and that some of the menu options are horribly undescriptive. Loved the film, and I love the disc set overall, however. I'll be buying it shortly, I'm sure.
I've heard this from another website that was reviewing the DVD. That's one reason why I haven't been in a rush to review it for the site. I have yet to mess with the second disc, but if it's like what I'm hearing I'd rather not get confused to find features.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I agree with the Jedi Master--making you work for the deleted scenes results in massive amounts of frustration. They might have at least alluded to the fact that you must play the game to find the Stone before you can access the scenes. Blech.

But, that being said, I did, I suppose, feel I truly earned those scenes once I got there. Although for the time I spent trying to get exactly the right combination of bricks to get into Diagon Alley, there should've been at least thirty extra scenes, and all of 'em should've been wearing a cape with an "S" on it.

A question for DVD-ROM people--I don't have it on my computer, so I was wondering what you all thought of the ROM stuff on the Harry Potter DVD.

Morbida
Originally posted by Yoda
I agree, I payed for the damn DVD I dont want to answer questions to be able to watch the delelted scenes!

The Gweat and Tewwible
Mary Lo, I didn't personally put in the DVD on the computer, but my mom did. It seemed mostly like some things to download for the computer like screensavers, backgrounds and such. You can download a remembrall, but I have no idea what it does. She also downloaded a demo game which looks really cute but its kind of senseless. In the beginning you put in your name and get sorted (my mom got Slytherin! ). It didn't look too special.

I went to the eegs.com site to find the hidden scenes. There should be more b/c the original movie was like 4 hrs. long. I hope they come out with a director's cut one of these days, that would be awesome. They should not have cut out the scene with Snape

Thanks, Oz. I didn't reckon I was missing out on too much.

And I agree about that scene--it wouldn't have been much longer than what was in the movie to begin with, and it was almost exactly what happened in the book. Insert shrugging Smilie here.

We rented it down this way, myself not having seen it and my brothers wanting to see it again (go figure) and while I was impressed by the film itself (then again I'm one of the childish geek readers of the series, once again go figure) I was disgusted by the menus (how revolting did they look, honestly?) and the amount of work that I was put through (so call me lazy).

Now, while sure, a nice little role playing game of sorts might be cute for a 'kids movie' DVD, no one wants to be put through the task of choosing one of seven bottles and being told that you've chosen poison and now you're dead six times straight before reaching what you really want to see.

And even then, I wasn't too impressed with the deleted scenes either. Perhaps this is why they were deleted, I don't know. I felt as though after having gone through the task of hearing about owls, sitting through repetitive wand 'effects' and a five minute pan/dolly through Hagrid's Hut I deserved not only more than the seven deleted scenes I received, but also deleted scenes of higher quality. That being said, the scene on the train was funny and I thought the extended Rickman scene was tremendous and shouldn't have been cut.

The interviews with the filmmakers was interesting enough. It was the same old 'he creates such a wonderful atmosphere on set' and 'it's been a great journey' hoo-hah that most spurt out everytime they opened their mouths, but it didn't bother me too much.

Overall, the film I enjoy, the disc set, I didn't.
Too fiddly, too messy. Too childish. It isn't just a kids film, and I for one, would have enjoyed, perhaps, a little more depth.