Burke and Hare

Tools    

"The UK trailer for John Landis’ Burke and Hare has gone online. The film stars Simon Pegg and Andy Serkis as real 19th century murderers William Burke and William Hare who began as modest grave robbers to earn a living but had to move on to killing when corpses weren’t readily available. I’ve got high hopes for this flick since I’m a fan of not only Pegg and Serkis, but co-stars Tom Wilkinson, Jessica Hynes, and Isla Fisher. Also, Landis did a little film you may have heard of called An American Werewolf in London."

[collider]

&feature=player_embedded

This one looks completely lough out loud (literally) funny to me. I think it opens pretty soon in the UK, not sure about the states, though.

Semper Fooey
I predict bomb. Landis is a burned out has-been and all the movies directly about those two lovable gents have been stinkers.

Black comedy requires a certain style. Animal House slapstick isn't doing to work here.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Im so looking forward to this, I read about it in last months Empire mag I think.

For those who didn't know: This is actually based on a true story. The same story that loosely inspired R.L. Stevenson's The Body Snatcher, and was the basis for The Flesh and the Fiends starring Peter Cushing.

I was looking forward to this when I heard the details about it, but the trailer has sorely disappointed. Given the content, I was hoping for something much darker, and even though I expected a comedy with Landis directing, I was hoping it wouldn't stoop to fart jokes.

For those who didn't know: This is actually based on a true story. The same story that loosely inspired R.L. Stevenson's The Body Snatcher, and was the basis for The Flesh and the Fiends starring Peter Cushing.
Yeah, their method of murder by suffocation and compressing the victim's chest became known as "Burking," like another Irish immigrant, Steve Brodie, had his name become synonyous for a deliberate jump after he leaped from the Brooklyn Bridge July 23, 1886, and survived, achieving instant fame. Among a few even today, making a jump or taking a fall or even throwing a boxing match is known as "doing a Brodie."

Don't think this Burke and Hare tale will be nearly as good as Boris Karloff in The Body Snatcher, one of Karloff's best roles.

Serkis and Pegg? I'd be stunned if this was any good. Shame though, as there's a good movie to be made here. I'll check out the trailer another time, but I'm not expecting much.

I have a rather morbid sense of humor once in a while (yes, I was one of the ones who laughed at the toilet scene in Trainspotting)... and several of the scenes in the trailer made me I laugh... it kinda reminds me of Plunkett and MacCleane a little bit...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Saw this last night and I'm afraid it's awful, I really wouldn't recommend it. I may write a proper review when I can put into words just how lame and unfunny it is.

Edit: here to avoid spoilers in the upcoming movie thread.