Val Kilmer

Tools    

The Salton Sea (released this week) is supposedly his best work yet... so it's time time for a little retrospective on the career of Mr. Val Kimer.

Post what you think about his movies, because I haven't seen a lot of them.

Anyone seen his debut Top Secret! ?

Or Real Genius which Roger Ebert adored?

Top Gun was his big break, a film in which he was forced by contractual obligations to appear. He plays IceMan and was my favourite thing in it - which isn't saying much because I don't like the movie.

Next up came Willow , a huge hit in my youth which still entertains today. Has Warwick Davis ever starred in a bad movie? Kilmer is at his best here as the cocky hero played with his tongue lodged firmly in his cheek. He also managed to wed his very attractive co-star Ms. Whalley.

John Dahl directed his next effort Kill Me Again but I've missed seeing it again.

Then came Val Kilmer's most ambitious role. He took on Jim Morrison in The Doors and succeeded brilliantly. He looked perfect. He acted perfectly. And he even sang a little. This is the man's signature role. The role that suggested he could be more than the fun, commercial actor that we had seen before. The movie itself may not be perfect but there's no denying that Kilmer was the best thing in it.

Working with a quality director like Michael Apted, Kilmer was able to succeed again in the critically acclaimed Thunderheart . Unfortunately I haven't seen it. Anyone care to shed some light on this film.

Kilmer took on another dead rock star in True Romance . Kilmer's performance might not be the best supporting performance in the movie, that's shared between Mr. Hopper and Mr. Walken, but he's lots of fun.

Less said about The Real McCoy the better.

Thus onto his biggest commercial success to date and the setting for one of the movie's greatest conundrums... who is the best Batman? My vote is for Kilmer. He just looks more comfortable as Bruce Wayne. Anyone can play Batman. Its playing Bruce Wayne that makes or breaks the performance. Kilmer is good here, though obviously overshadowed by the maniacly brilliant Carrey. Batman Forever is my favourite Batman. Argue with me at your peril.

1993 was a good year for Val. His performance in Tombstone was the best thing in it. He played Doc Holliday and gave the movie a much needed source of energy.

And now the slide...

Next came Heat . A good movie, yes, but it also gave us a ridiculously awful Val Kilmer haircut, whose performance was almost as bad.

Wings of Courage is an IMAX movie that I haven't seen.

The Ghost and the Darkness may be the worst movie to win an Oscar ever. It won Sound Effects Editing. There's very little to recommend here.

The Island of Dr Moreau was even worse.

The Saint was further proof that the once great Kilmer had become a ham.

At First Sight should have been the final nail in the coffin. What was he thinking?

But the news is good. Word on the web tells me that the Salton Sea has got a great Val Kilmer performance. It's like having an old friend return. I can't wait to see it.

Originally posted by bigvalbowski
The Ghost and the Darkness may be the worst movie to win an Oscar ever. It won Sound Effects Editing. There's very little to recommend here.

The Island of Dr Moreau was even worse.
I don't understand why these two flicks get such a bad rap. I thought the latter was worth watching, and I loved the former. It was terrifying...it was real. Scared the crap outta me. Wonderful movie. Why does everyone hate it? Anyway, I'm no Kilmer fan, but I thought he was quite good in both of those...and I still think he made an adequate Bruce Wayne.

Flaming hog balls!

Top Secret was one of my favourite films when i was at school. Its still pretty funny and definitely stands the test of time.

Kilmer plays Nick Rivers, an Elvis-style singer who goes to perform in an Eastern bloc country, East Germany i believe, and gets involved in the resistance movement. There are some great scenes in tihs movie, notably the underwater fight scene and the attack on the French resistance HQ (Vive La France!). In fact Shrek borrowed heavily from this during the fight scene in the castle with the wrestling ring (Im not sure it originated here but this is where i associate it with) Character names are quite amusing also. I remember the resistance members, Deja Vu, Latrine and Chocolate Mousse!

Its a comedy right out of the Airplane/Naked Gun mould and coming from Zucker and Abrahams is hardly surprising. Rent this movie, you may be surprised.

I reckon Val Kilmer unfairly gets a bad rap from a lot of people. I agree Big Val, Batman Forever is my favourite Batman film and Kilmer was a great Bruce Wayne, although I do think George Clooney had the best chin for Batman.

I really liked Ghost & The Darkness and The Saint too. Granted theyre not great movies but they did a fairly good job in entertaining me. Maybe its just me but I still like the guy.

P.S. Iceman was the coolest thing about Top Gun!

The Salton Sea is coming out on DVD streets 9/10

Even Tweakers Havea sense of Loyalty

Val Kilmer plays Danny, a torured meth user living in the seeded underbelly of of LA's nastiest of the nasty neighborhoods. A trumpet player whose life spirals towards drug hell after his wifes murder. Of course he seeks revenge.

This movie will have great video success but will be soley based on word of mouth advertiseing. Though it gained critical acclaim during its short lived theatrical run, most folks didnt rush out to see it. Indie goers will enjoy it. And everyone who liked 8mm should definatley see this movie. IMO of course.

DVD Highlights:
featurette "Embracing Chaos: A conversation With the Cast of the Salton Sea"
featurette:"Meth and Method: Production Design for the Salton Sea"

Radioactive Spider Blood
You know, after just watching Batman Forever, am I the only person who thinks Val looks eerily (sp?) similar to Guy Pearce?

"Chances are, if your parents didn't have any kids, then you won't either."

Originally posted by jungerpants
am I the only person who thinks Val looks eerily (sp?) similar to Guy Pearce?

no.. I just dont see it.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	image4.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	392  

Fighting out of the Lions Den
Originally posted by bigvalbowski
The Ghost and the Darkness may be the worst movie to win an Oscar ever. It won Sound Effects Editing. There's very little to recommend here.[
`Ghost & the Darkness` is my favourite Kilmer movie by a mile-It`s vastly underated.
And it well deserved it`s Oscar-The Dolby Digital sound is simply superb!

I'm rating his performances only in the movies that I have seen. **** possible.

Red Planet (2000) **
Prince of Egypt, The (1998)
The Saint (1997) ***
Ghost and the Darkness, The (1996) ***
The Island of Dr. Moreau (1996) ***
Heat (1995) ***
Batman Forever (1995) **
Tombstone (1993) ****
True Romance (1993) ***
Thunderheart (1992) ****
Doors, The (1991) ****
Willow (1988) ****
Top Gun (1986) ***
Real Genius (1985) ***
Top Secret! (1984) ***

I guess that means I like him quite a bit. I think he's very talented and don't fully understand why his bankability has suffered. My favorite performance he's done is his portrayal of Jim Morrison.

BTW, theres only one, "I'm Batman!" that sounds right. Keaton Forever!
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I figured I'd bump this thread up because I want to know everyone's thoughts on Val Kilmer.

I recently saw him in a brief role in The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans and it got me thinking, where did he go wrong? Why didn't his career get the reboot? and why do I like him so much.

I was first introduced to him in Top Gun 1986 which is 2 years after his feature debut, which was Top Secret 1984 and I thought he was the best part of that otherwise boring film. For some reason his performance stuck with him and I started to look into his career and seek out his other films.

Since then he has been the best thing about a lot of films. (Tombstone, The Doors, The Saint)

His career seemed to have taken a huge down turn after his last so called big feature film Red Planet tanked at the box office. Since then he has had a so so career.

For every great film like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Wonderland there are others like Mindhunters or any of his direct to dvd films. KKBB seemed to have rejuvenated RDJ career and I'm wondering why Val Kilmer didn't get the same recognition, since he was funnier than RDJ.

His small role on Entourage was hilarious and the highlight of that season. He can do comedy and I wouldn't mind seeing him in more comedies now.

He seems to be doing more co-starring roles than leading. I'm fine with this, but I'm still waiting to see a film bring him back to the spotlight.

Top Gun

True Romance

Tombstone

Batman Forever

Heat

The Island of Dr. Moreau

The Ghost & The Darkness

The Prince of Egypt

Red Planet

The Salton Sea

Wonderland

Mindhunters

Alexander

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Deja Vu

The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans

Suspect's Reviews

I haven't seen all of Kilmer's films but Thunderheart is in my top ten and Willow was a childhood favorite so will always have a place in my heart... if I had to name my favorite performance by Kilmer though it would have to be as Jim Morrison in The Doors... he blew me away with that one...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Probably a mix of bad choices and being very difficult to work with. The second one probably makes people 'go another way' when casting, as they don't want to put up with him. That means he has to pick from those who will work with him. Actually, maybe it's not to do with bad choices, maybe he just picks the best of what's offered to him.

BTW, I really like Mindhunters. I'd certainly rather watch that again than KKBB or Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans. Though, tbf, that's got more to do with not wanting to see Nic Cage chew scenery maniacally, than anything else.

mok
If you speak to the majority of people Val has worked with, then the idea that he is difficult is scuppered. There are only a couple of directors who have said this, and they had their own motives. Val is a dedicated actor but works hard. Other actors and directors deny the difficult tag.
It depends on who is deciding what is a good choice or bad. Val would regard most of the films he has done as good choices, as he isn't interested in Box Office success. He openly says that the only reason to make a film now is if it is something he is passionate about or a great director or actor that he really wants to work with.
It has become fashionable to decry his films too, and many good ones have slipped the net because of it. In my opinion, apart from his initial two films which are hilarious, the best he has done are Salton Sea and Thunderheart. However, there are very few of his films I dislike (and I have seen all he has released so far - there are a lot in the pipeline at the moment) Two I do not like are The Island of Dr Moreau and Hardwired. In the former, even Val's performance is under par, but that is because it was so difficult to work with a co-star who was "phoning in" his performance and a director who couldn't control him. There were also personal reasons why Val perhaps wasn't his usual self. In the latter, Val is his usual thorough, quirky self, in what is a fairly small role. In my opinion it is just a bad script.
My ratings (out of 10) on his films:-
Top Secret - 8
Pure Genius - 8
Top Gun - 7
Murders In The Rue Morgue - 7
Chained - 9
Billy The Kid - 7
Willow - 8
Kill Me Again - 5
The Doors - 8 (Val's performance 10)
Thunderheart 10
The Real McCoy - 6
Tombstone 8 (again Val, 10)
Batman For Ever 6
Heat - 8.5
Ghost and The Darkness 7
Island Of Df Moreau 2
The Saint 7 (Val 9)
At First Sight 9
Red Planet - 8
Salton Sea - 10
Wonderland -9
Spartan -9
Felon -9
ColombusDay - 9.5
Deja Vu - 8
Streets of Blood - 7
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - 9.5
The Chaos Experiment - 5 (7 for what little of Val there is!)
Hard Wired 5 - (again more for the small part Val plays)
There are other films that reckon he is starring but there is so little of him in them, it's not even worth mentioning them.
However there are a lot of films in the pipeline this year and next that should quite exciting.

I haven't seen all of Kilmer's films but Thunderheart is in my top ten and Willow was a childhood favorite so will always have a place in my heart... if I had to name my favorite performance by Kilmer though it would have to be as Jim Morrison in The Doors... he blew me away with that one...

Your ratings are very kind, mok, though as a huge fan of a particular star I know how that goes. BTW, I don't see Mindhunters on that list. What did you think of that?

mok
Oh dear, how did I miss that? I guess possibly because I don't like seeing Val meeting such a grizzly demise. I also didn't think that much of the film. The plot was OK but I'm sure it could have been developed far more. Maybe with better actors in the major roles (which Val's wasn't!) it might have fared better. It will be interesting to see if Renny Harland uses Val more in the upcoming film about the war in Georgia, or if that will be a small cameo type role too.

The other film I definitely ignored was Dead Man's Bounty. How on earth anyone can list a film as starring Val Kilmer, when he is dead at the begining and remains that way throughout the film I will never know! Clever acting for very brief shots of his dead body!IMDb state Val worked for a significantly reduced salary in this film. I'm not surprised by that either. I'm sure his role must have been shot in less than a day!

Female Jungle Poster
Scared the crap outta me.
Actually, Marlon Brando's appearance in The Island of Dr. Moreau scared the crap outta me!

"Exit, pursued by a bear." ~

Must agree with The Honey Kid that you gave Val's films waaaay too much love. He's always been hit and miss with me. I think he has proven he is a good actor and I reckon that there is a bit more versatility to him than his filmography would suggest. He was an alrightish Bruce Wayne, but those films were so hammy and so light that Kilmer felt out of place. He was more suited to a darker type of Batman like in the Burton films, imo.

Yeah, he seems to be content with playing supporting roles here and there while taking a star turn in the odd straight-to-dvd film, but that doesn't make him unwatchable. He may not be very marketable nowadays, but I reckon he'll probably be the next big film actor-cum-television star a la Kiefer Sutherland if his comic timing is anything to go by..