no
35.71%
10 votes
maybe
7.14%
2 votes
not sure
28 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Pretty straight-forward poll. Don't be judgmental or hypocritical.

Would you date someone physically disabled?

...uh the post is up there...

You want to post like me?
Not so straight-forward, I think.
How disabled? Like Simple Jack, Rain Man, I am Sam, chick from Million Dollar Baby?
Are we talking prostetic leg or wheel chair?
Deaf, dumb or blind?
And etc. etc. etc.

Not so straight-forward, I think.
How disabled? Like Simple Jack, Rain Man, I am Sam, chick from Million Dollar Baby?
Are we talking prostetic leg or wheel chair?
Deaf, dumb or blind?
And etc. etc. etc.
Physically disabled.

You want to post like me?
So if a girl was missing her pinky would I date her? There's a huge leap from that to her being in a wheel chair.
Give us a solid example mate.

Would I? Yes. Have I? No.

The disability, depending on what it was, could affect the relationship greatly or in a relatively minor way. It's more likely that the disability wouldn't be the problem, in the event of a break-up, though how it was thought of could be i.e. issues with low self-esteem or lack of self-confidence, especially if both are young.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
FF, your question is pretty vague and non-specific. Disabilities aren't restricted to a wheelchair-bound person, or even one with a missing limb.

Would I? Depends on the situation. As they say, there is a person for everyone. Not to sound cold.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

It all depends on the severity of the disability. If they're so disabled that I'm going to have to assist them with personal stuff like using the bathroom, then no. If they're self-sufficient, sure. Provided, of course, that they meet all of my lifestyle and personality criteria.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Love is blind. If the person is the one you see, want to get to know and want to spend time with, why not? The complications may arise in the finding of said person, but if they go to school or go to work, you could find them. If they stay at home, I guess there's always internet dating as a means of introduction. I'm also not too picky about personal care. I mean, I'm not going to feel comfy wiping somebody's bottom the first time I've met them, but I've been incapacitated a few times myself and needed all the help I could get to do things we often take for granted, so that's not a big stumbling block for me, as long as it's clear I'm not being asked to do a "job" for free.

The King of Movies
Honestly i probably wouldn't.

I mean if the disability wasn't big or that obvious then i might but if the disability was big then i probably wouldn't.

When i say disability i don't mean illness, like i probably would date someone with like arthritis, but in all honesty i probably wouldn't go out with someone in a wheel chair or something like that.

I'm a fairly active person, so it probably just wouldn't work.

Pretty straight-forward poll. Don't be judgmental or hypocritical.

Would you date someone physically disabled?
My only judgment is that this is a rather foolish poll in this day and time. Makes it sound like the "disabled" are a different species.

My second wife had polio when she was just a toddler, a disease about which the under-30 bunch in this forum know nothing. When I met her, she still had to wear a metal brace on her right leg from foot to thigh. There was only one style of shoe she could wear. One foot was smaller than the other, so she always was forced to buy two pairs of shoes so she could have one size for one foot, another size for the other. The calfs of her legs were thin because the disease had wasted those muscles. But she had a beautiful face, a gentle manner, a cheerful outlook, and great breasts after years of using crutches. We were married more than 20 years, had two sons, and she also managed a fulltime job. Yeah, she was handicapped in some things. She couldn't run barefoot on the beach (or any other place) and she didn't dance very well. There were adjustments we had to make, but she was never disabled.

Sure, why not.
I'm Puerto Rican.
Therefore, when it comes to the opposite sex,
my pimp ass isn't picky.
Our motto:
"A piece of ass is still a piece of ass, no matter how many limbs or brain cells are missing."

Now, before any of you sensitive types out there start neg-repping me for this post, keep in mind that this motto sounds a hell of alot more poetic in spanish.
Naw, it sounds sexist and dumb in any language.

Honestly i probably wouldn't.

I mean if the disability wasn't big or that obvious then i might but if the disability was big then i probably wouldn't.

When i say disability i don't mean illness, like i probably would date someone with like arthritis, but in all honesty i probably wouldn't go out with someone in a wheel chair or something like that.

I'm a fairly active person, so it probably just wouldn't work.
Obviously some of you children have never been around many people with physical handicaps. Like the ex-Navy pilot who lost both arms and whose face was burned off in a crash. He and his very lovely wife used to hang out with our bunch at our favorite honky tonk. He danced very well with his wife and other women in our group. He could anything with his artificial arms and engineered "hooks" that the rest of us guys did with our hands. Including shake hands with uninjured people. And hold down a good job.

There was another old boy who used to come into that club in a wheelchair. But I wouldn't say he was "confined" to it. He'd drive up in his own pickup, swing himself out of the cab and stand holding to the door with one hand while with the other he reached into the bed, picked up his wheelchair and put it on the ground, opened it up and sat down in it with no help at all. The skateboard crowd would have envied the way he'd manuver and twirl that wheel chair on the dance floor.

In college, a bunch of us journalists signed up for a computer class. Smartest one in our bunch was a very pretty girl whose legs were paralyzed. The original buildings at Texas Tech University don't have elevators, so some of us guys would wait at the bottom of the stairs each day to carry her up in her chair. She was the only one of our group to pass the course.

On my second meeting with my present wife, I was holding her hands and looking in her eyes and piling on the sweet talk. "You have lovely hands," I said, marveling at how soft and smooth they were in mine. She laughed and said, "Now I know you're feeding me a line." She held her hands, so misshapened from arthritis that all her fingers were bent to one side and her wrists were misshapened. I'd never even noticed her hands were crippled. I just knew she had soft hands, a great body, lovely face, beautiful smile--and a great sense of humor.

At one time in my journalism career, I spent some months at the Texas Rehab Center here in Houston watching moms work with their brain-damaged babies and young men and women in their teens and early 20s who were paraplegic and quadraplegic. All of those people had a better attitude toward life and us "normal" folks than many of those participating in this forum.

You want to see active people? Go watch The Men, one of Brando's first movies, filmed in the paraplegic ward of a real veterans' hospital. See if you could do what those actual veterans do in that movie.

I think the real poll should be, "Would a handcapped person want to go out with you." And I don't mean just King-of-the-movies.

My only judgment is that this is a rather foolish poll in this day and time. Makes it sound like the "disabled" are a different species.
Indeed. I've met some people with so called "disabilties." It turns out, when you've got to work harder for things in life, you are that much better of a person. I've had a friend that was deaf, which made phone calls a little odd, but a very nice person. I don't know if FF has someone in mind, which is why they're posing the question to the rest of us, but if you have to ask for approval, you're in the wrong mindset.

As for MightyCelestial's comment, Once a d*ck, always a d*ck.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Don't be judgmental or hypocritical.
The very existence of this poll seems to fail this criteria. Are people with disabilities a different species?

Well, ff is disabled, so I'm sure he has some personal reasons for setting up the poll.
Seeing as that is not common knowledge, he should've specified that. It wouldn't change a lot of the responses, but it would bring new light to the subject.

I would have answered I probably already have without realising it. But seeing as FF has specified physical disabilities then I would have to say I don't know because I've never fancied anyone who has any. That's not to say I never will though, and if I was in love with someone it certainly wouldn't stop me.

I am half agony, half hope.
I dated a lovely man that had cerebral palsy that affected his legs. He used walking sticks to help himself be mobile. He had his car modified so he could drive, and did everything the rest of us did within reason. He was easily one of the best people I knew when I was younger.

Johann von Goethe

A couple of months ago I saw a really hot guy in a wheelchair and I just wanted to take off my pants and jump in his lap and roll.

So, yes.

...polio...a disease about which the under-30 bunch in this forum know nothing..
So I just turned 30, am I old enough to know anything about polio?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."