Casey VS Ben- Battle of the Afflecks

Tools    

So I just want to know the Mofo's views on the Affleck brothers. Do you like them? One better than the other? Or do you not even curr?

Ben Affleck

Movies
Good Will Hunting (1997) Won Best Original Screenplay- Shared with Matt Damon
Dogma (1998)
Armageddon (1998)
Pearl Harbor (2001)
Daredevil (2003)
Hollywoodland (2006)
Smokin' Aces (2006)

Casey Affleck

Movies
Ocean's 11 Series
Commited (2000)
Gone Baby Gone (2007)

The Assassination of Jesse James (2007)

I think both of them can act and I was impressed with Casey in Gone Baby Gone, and I believe Casey will be getting a lot more work now because of it. I have yet to see The Assassination, anybody seen it?

I don't remember ever seeing Casey in anything... and poor 'ole Ben is still Fred O'Bannion to me...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I never thought much of Ben. Especially not blockbuster Ben when he was starring in things like Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, Daredevil and The Sum of All Fears, which also coincides with most of the off-screen time he was the front half of the overexposed Bennifer J-Lo thing. I mean when you look at those movies plus Gigli, Paycheck, Surviving Christmas, Reindeer Games...what's to like? And I'm no huge Kevin Smith fan, which I know is blasphemy to some, but the guy's movies just don't do it for me. However, I definitely like Ben in Chasing Amy and Dogma more than I like him in Armafrickingeddon. And while I don't think the movies themselves are particularly special, I think he's passably decent in things like Bounce, Boiler Room and Changing Lanes. And the first person to say "Affleck was da bomb in Phantoms, Yo!" gets coal in their stocking from me.

But having said all that, the last couple years have truly changed how I see Ben Affleck. I thought he was perfectly cast and did a superb job in Hollywoodland, and even better than that his debut behind the camera for Gone Baby Gone is quite good stuff. Based on the strength of those two projects alone, I find myself reevaluating and even liking the guy. Pretty shocking.

Now Casey, he's a different story.

As much as I've generally disliked Ben for most of his career, I have always found myself liking Casey Affleck on the screen. Ever since I saw him in Gus Van Sant's To Die For (1995) as the even dumber foil to Joaquin Phoenix's murderous teen, I've liked him. He did a slight variation on that but sweetening him in Drowning Mona and 200 Cigarettes (not good movies, but he's good in them), and did more complex and grown up version in the static Gerry then took it as far as it can go in Lonesome Jim, where he was terrific as a sad sack in a family of sad sacks. And while I found The Last Kiss to be insufferably and tediously average, one of the only bright spots in it was the minor subplot involving Casey's character, which I would have liked to see a whole movie about instead of Zach Braff's dull character. He's also very funny in Soderbergh's Ocean's movies, mostly playing off of Scott Caan as his on-screen bickering brother. The bit from Ocean's 13 where Casey dons a ridiculous mustache to infiltrate the Mexican factory and winds up leading them in their labor strike is maybe the funniest thing out of all three of those movies.

And as much as I already liked him, his work this year is catapulting him even higher. First was Ocean's 13, but then this autumn came the one-two punch of starring in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and Ben's Gone Baby Gone. He's very good in Jesse James, which is a very flawed movie but has elements that are fantastic, including Casey's performance. It's a performance I would have been even more impressed by if I hadn't seen Gone Baby Gone literally the day before. That's his greatest piece of work to date, and big brother Ben gave it to him.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Ben might be popular but I can see that Casey is a promising actor. It will not be a surprise if one day, he'll beat brother Ben.

Casey was in Good will hunting with his brother i cant see that anyone has put that yet, so i have lol.

good on Holden for mentioning Gerry, a movie I just love, for its simplicity and realness

as far as this debate goes, its Ben Assdick vs Casey Affleck...my vote should be self-explainatory

now, he would be Ben Asslick, but then he went and dropped one of my favourite scenes ever, in Boilder Room...

JIM YOUNG
"This is the deal. I am not here to waste your time and I can only hope you're not here to waste mine. So I'm gonna keep this short. You become an employee of this firm and you will make your first million within three years.
(pauses)
Okay? Let me repeat that. You will make a million dollars within three years of your first day of employment at JT Marlin. Everybody got that? There is no question as to whether you will be a millionaire working at this firm, the question is how many times
over.
You think I'm joking. I am not joking. I am a millionaire. It's a weird thing to hear, right? I'll tell you, it's a weird thing to say. I'm a ****ing millionaire. Now guess how old I am? Twenty-seven. You know what that makes me here? A ****ing senior citizen.
This firm is entirely comprised of people your age, not mine. Lucky for me, I am very ****ing good at my job or I'd be out of one. You guys are the new blood. You're gonna go home with the kesef. You're the future Big-Swinging-Dicks of this firm. Now you all look money hungry and that's good. Anybody who says money is the root of all evil, doesn't have it! Money can't buy happiness? Look at the ****ing smile on my face. Ear to ear, baby. You wanna hear details? I drive a Ferrari 355 cabriolet. (throws keys on desk) I have a ridiculous house on the South Fork. I've got every toy you can imagine. And best of all, kids, I am liquid.
Your friends are ****. You're gonna tell them you made twenty-five thousand last month and they're not going to believe you. **** them! Your parents don't like the life you lead? **** you Mom and Dad! As a trainee you will be building a foundation for yourself. Think of it as the foundation to a building. Right? Gotta build the foundation before you can put up your skyscraper. You know what I built? (takes out a model)
The ****ing twin towers. Now go home and think about whether this is for you. If you decide it isn't, nothing to be embarrassed about. It's not for everyone. But if you really want it, then give me a call on Monday and we'll talk. Just don't waste my time. Alright. That's it."

Horrorphiliac

Casey Affleck turns thirty-three today. After his career year in film last year, culminating in his first Oscar nomination, Casey hasn't even been attached to another project yet. I hope he's taking his time waiting for the best of the best scripts and directors rather than saying yes to the first producer with a dumbed-down piece of crap that backs the money truck up to his house. Judging by his career so far I wouldn't expect him to do any less.