post-apocalytic with children as main actors

Tools    

I watched this long long ago on tv. In the 80s, I think...

From what little I remember, it featured a bunch of kids travelling in a post-apocalyptic world.

The scene I actually remember involved a very young girl using some kind of sound-activated metal ball that shot out spikes to escape a pedophile she had been given to somehow after being separated from the others after he picked it up. I believe the ball was in a lunch box.

I have scoured various lists to try to find this but can't seem to find anything that matches up.

This was live action.

Tall Man of the Phantasm series does not seem familiar at all. I seriously doubt this is the right movie altough I may just go watch it anyway.

Mostly looking for this because something had brought that scene to mind recently and am searching for the source.

Possibly the BBC series of the Tripod trilogy? When the Tripods Came/ the White Mountains/ the City of Gold and Lead/ the Pool of Fire

Possibly the BBC series of the Tripod trilogy? When the Tripods Came/ the White Mountains/ the City of Gold and Lead/ the Pool of Fire
That could be, although I remember what I watched as a movie, not a tv series. I was young and it was a long time ago though... Will have to try and find some clips to watch later when I get access to my computer and not stuck on mobile.

I for some reason am thinking it may be Australian in origin, but I really couldn't say why and could be completely off target with that.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
maybe Solarbabies (1986) , never seen this so I don't really know how well it matches but it does have a "Crystal" orb that can do stuff, that's all I really know, oh and it has kids and is post apocalyptic.

maybe Solarbabies (1986) , never seen this so I don't really know how well it matches but it does have a "Crystal" orb that can do stuff, that's all I really know, oh and it has kids and is post apocalyptic.
Nope. I found this in my searches and is certainly not it. The orb in question is, as I recall, mechanical device made of metal, not a mystical crystal. When activated it shot out spikes making it look like the head of a mace... seriously damaging the man's hand as it pierced it, allowing the girl to escape. I cannot recall how she ended up with this thing, however.

Tank girl