Help with "The Witch"

Tools    

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
(and nobody's about to call anyone stupid for having a differing opinion here, so that's a very welcome change! )
You're pretty STUPendous.

I agree - with Se7en and 8mm, I would say colour palette and choice of filters added to that horror feeling, not just the subject matter and effectiveness of gore makeup. Jacob's Ladder is a horror Movie in my book - also an unconventional one. I haven't found anyone I've talked to in person yet who doesn't find that film horrifying in some way. I even call Funny Games (original) a horror film. Not straight-up horrors, but the ones where you use double-barrel classification.

(and nobody's about to call anyone stupid for having a differing opinion here, so that's a very welcome change! )
Jacobs Ladder is a very "special" kind of horror that ends up being much more than that. You can see it as either Horror, War movie, Political Thriller, Drama, you name it. The topics it takes and construes itself around are broad and well balanced. Visually the horror elements are all there. Thematically, goes beyond, That is also another movie I have a real difficult time stating it as a Horror movie per se
Thanks a lot Little Devil, your info was real helpful, btw i loved Jacob's Ladder, i heard that the creator of the horror video game Silent Hill got his ideas from that movie, don't know if it's legit but it would make sense to me

Thank you to everyone with all your useful info, it's gotten me really anxious to watch it, as soon as I'm free this weekend, I'll get around to watch it!

It's like a very disturbing period piece drama.

I just rewatched it, and we've all been wrong this entire time. It's actually a buddy cop comedy.

I didn't love The Witch because it doesn't suit my normal taste, but I did enjoy it. Trying to be objective, I think it's exceptionally well done. I just prefer the more violent horror movies. I don't think there's a set definition on what the horror genre is, but that's what I look at it being all the way.

A horror movie is supposed to produce horror in the viewer. Ex: The Exorcist. Also is recognizable as such with the structure forms a horros story. Because there are elements that may scare the audience it doesn't mean it's a horror story [the example of Se7ev was given as a movie with horrifying elements that doesn't make it fit in the horror genre].

I recognize Thriller elements all over the WItch however. The main one being the "did it happen/who did it/what happen to the X plot mcguffin"
That's all very subjective though. The Exorcist might come off as comical to someone who isn't religious and finds the idea of demonic possession laughable.

It could be argued that The VVitch is also a tale of possession... albeit a bit slower in progression and not nearly as 'in your face' with imagery.

Even if we examine your example, the truly interesting elements of The Exorcist have to do with the priest's internal battles, the mother child relationship and the idea of a sovereign body being invaded by something 'other'. Not all particularly horrific but do work in tandem to weave the tapestry of the tale (which has horrific elements interspersed into a lot of other stuff).

I just rewatched it, and we've all been wrong this entire time. It's actually a buddy cop comedy.
Does it star Kevin Hart?

MC for the Great Underground Circus
Thanks a lot Little Devil, your info was real helpful, btw i loved Jacob's Ladder, i heard that the creator of the horror video game Silent Hill got his ideas from that movie, don't know if it's legit but it would make sense to me
No probs man. Yes, Jacobs Ladder is responsible for some horror concepts in video games and other movies that followed. Silent Hill is just one among many others, specially in the survival genre.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
That's all very subjective though. The Exorcist might come off as comical to someone who isn't religious and finds the idea of demonic possession laughable.

It could be argued that The VVitch is also a tale of possession... albeit a bit slower in progression and not nearly as 'in your face' with imagery.

Even if we examine your example, the truly interesting elements of The Exorcist have to do with the priest's internal battles, the mother child relationship and the idea of a sovereign body being invaded by something 'other'. Not all particularly horrific but do work in tandem to weave the tapestry of the tale (which has horrific elements interspersed into a lot of other stuff).
Yes, the Exorcist has lots of stuff going on.

One of the things I found curious in that movie is that Father Karras is almost always depicted as climbing or walking up and In the end he falls down the staircase. There are some great stuff in terms of cinematography and imagery in that movie. Very well thought out.