Movie Tab II

Tools    

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Not really. I found him being this really suave well spoken "gentlemen" and still doing his slapstick routine really off putting. It was also much more of a vanity movie than Limelight. At least in Limelight someone else had a role with depth - in Verdoux it was all about him.
I think what you didn't like is what I see as the purpose of the film

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Waxwork II: Lost in Time (Anthony Hickox, 1992)

Out-of-Sync (Debbie Allen, 1995)

Lucy (Luc Besson, 2014)

Driving Miss Daisy (Bruce Beresford, 1989)

Chauffeur Morgan Freeman knows how to handle the high-strung eccentricities and not-so-subtle racism of Miss Daisy (Jessica Tandy).
The Delicate Delinquent (Don McGuire, 1957)

Crisis (Richard Brooks, 1950)

The Great Jewel Robber (Peter Godfrey, 1950)

The Shawshank Redemption (Frank Darabont, 1994)

When he enters Shawshank Prison for being (wrongfully, he claims) convicted of murdering his wife and her lover, Tim Robbins looks up Morgan Freeman for a needed tool.
Show Me Love (Lukas Moodysson, 1998)
+
Hunt the Man Down (George Archainbaud, 1950)

Pest Control (David Barclay, 1950)

Gone Girl (David Fincher, 2014)
-

An entry in the diary of his missing wife Rosamund Pike may prove problematic for Ben Affleck.
The Tattooed Stranger (Edward J. Montagne, 1950)

Hamlet (Gregory Doran, 2009)

Paris, Texas (Wim Wenders, 1984)

A Night to Remember (Roy Baker, 1958)

While the RMS Titanic slowly sinks after striking an iceberg, and numerous ships in the area make mistakes in communication, the band plays on with dignity and grace.
The Ship That Wouldn't Die (No Director Listed, 1945)
+
Experiment Alcatraz (Edward L. Cahn, 1950)

Radio Unnameable (Paul Lovelace & Jessica Wolfson, 2012)

Interview with the Vampire (Neil Jordon, 1994)

The vampire Lestat (Tom Cruise) has seen better days, but he can still easily control most mortals.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Charulata

Friday the 13th

Halloween
REWATCH
The Uninvited

Hellboy

Mickeys Christmas Carol
REWATCH
Alice in Wonderland
REWATCH
There Will Be Blood

American Hustle
REWATCH
Gone Girl

Muppet Christmas Carol
+ REWATCH
Sleepless in Seattle

Lord of the Flies

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Interesting you watched Paris, Texas and A Night to Remember Back to back Mark. Those were two that I considered buying between, and went with Paris, Texas.

Beverly Hills Cop (Martin Brest, 1984): I realized recently that I haven't seen a single Eddie Murphy movie pre-Nutty Professor. Obviously I need to change that, and Beverly Hills Cop was a great place to start. Sure, the movie is predictable and formulaic, but it's also enormously entertaining. Murphy is a riot. With his energy as a performer, his comedic timing, his affable persona and his one-of-a-kind laugh, it's no wonder he was such a huge star in the 80's. He's a very likable leading man. Considering that this movie is now 30 years old and that it has been copied countless times, it's remarkable how modern and fresh it still feels. I watched some of the special features on the DVD and learned that Stallone was originally cast in the leading role. With Stallone, this would've felt like any other action movie starring a rebellious cop, but Murphy brings something different to the table. I can't help but wonder if he laid the blueprint for these type of characters. Judge Reinhold and John Ashton are also hilarious in the film as the mismatched couple tasked with trailing Murphy's Axle Foley. I'm excited to watch the sequels, even though I'm sure they're not as fresh or entertaining.

Raw Deal (John Irvin, 1986): As far as Schwarzenegger action films go, Raw Deal surely ranks near the bottom. It starts off well and ends well, but the middle of the film is a drag. Watching Arnold put on a suit and go undercover is much less fun than watching him bust out his biceps and singlehandedly wipe out the mafia. I needed more scenes like the one where he rides around in a convertible, assault rifle in tow, eliminating bad guy after bad guy while "Satisfaction" by the Rolling Stones blasts from the stereo. Instead I felt like I spent the whole movie watching him stand around in smoky nightclubs and back rooms while he chomped on a cigar and occasionally flirted with his insipid love interest. Raw Deal is a generic, forgettable, even somewhat boring action film that rarely plays to Schwarzenegger's strengths as an action hero.

Mean Girls (Mark Waters, 2004): I'm not exactly the target audience, but after all the good things I've heard about Mean Girls over the years I expected to enjoy it a lot more than I did. The movie does a decent job of highlighting all the negative aspects of high school, like the social cliques and the gossip and everyone's obsession about how they're perceived by their peers, but ultimately it felt like every other high school movie. I didn't find the script particularly smart or quotable, although others obviously disagree. At least the movie serves as proof that Lindsey Lohan was actually cute once upon a time.

Grumpy Old Men (Donald Petrie, 1993): I adore Jack Lemmon. He's one of my favorite actors and one of the most likable leading men in the history of Hollywood. However, I'm much more familiar with his work in the 50's and 60's than his later work, so it was kind of depressing to see him so old and craggy. Wrinkles or not, though, he maintains his likability and charm, as well as his excellent comedic timing. The movie is at its best when Lemmon and Matthau share the screen. They're so natural together and they play off one another incredibly well, whether it's in the way they bounce lines back and forth or just their general chemistry and well-timed mannerisms. The plot takes place over the holidays and features all the typical family schmaltz such films entail. Ann-Margret is decent as the milf next door, especially when the script tries to humanize her beyond just the bizarre antics she performs to gain attention from the Pervy Old Men (a more apt title for the film). The movie felt longer than it was, which is a never a good thing. I suspect I would've hated Grumpy Old Men if not for the leading men. As it stands, it was enjoyable and humorous enough for a one-time viewing, but I wouldn't willingly re-watch it.

A Million Ways to Die in the West (Seth MacFarlane, 2014): F*ck you and the horse you rode in on, Seth MacFarlane.

Friday the 13th Part III (Steve Miner, 1982): Earlier this year I watched the first two movies in the franchise and found both to be below average. This third installment isn't any better, but I guess I was just in the right mood for a slasher because I had a lot more fun watching it. The movie contains an abundance of everything that people typically complain about in slashers: terrible dialogue, bad acting, too many clichés, cardboard characters who only exist to make poor decisions and eventually be killed, a plot that lacks creativity, etc. None of those things bothered me, however, not even the Last Girl's ridiculously contrived back story. Maybe it's because the movie proudly wears every slasher cliché on its blood-stained sleeve. Or maybe it's because there's a heightened sense of fun due to the borderline campy approach-- like the choice to insert a random biker gang to increase the body count, for instance. The movie was filmed in gimmicky 3-D, so we get a lot random items jutting toward the screen or scenes of people playing with their yo-yos (not a euphemism). The movie is also notable for being the first in the franchise to introduce the iconic hockey mask. I know I've seen some of the sequels in my youth, but I don't remember which ones, so I plan on continuing with the franchise until I've seen every entry. I'd say the first two are more effective as horror films, but Part III, despite its lack of quality, has a heightened sense of fun and is more enjoyable as a result.

Duel (Steven Spielberg, 1971): In a way, Duel isn't all that different from Halloween or any other such film, except instead of a masked killer it's a rusted behemoth of a tanker truck. You'd never know that this feature was initially made for television, but that goes to show Spielberg's considerable talents as a director. The film is very thrilling and intense at times, but after awhile the thin premise begins to run out of gas. Perhaps a John Carpenter-like score would've upped the suspense. A leading man with more personality would've also increased my enjoyment since I found Weaver's character a bit too drab. I understand that he's supposed to be a pushover, but since we're stuck in the car with him the whole time and we have to listen to his internal thought process, I yearned for a character who didn't act and talk like a boring salesman. The real star of the movie is the giant tanker. I also love how we never see or learn anything about the driver, as if the tanker itself is an evil, demonic force haunting its own highway to hell.

The Wolf of Wall Street (Martin Scorsese, 2013): I don't necessarily think that The Wolf of Wall Street is the best movie of last year (although it's certainly in the discussion), but in terms of pure entertainment nothing else comes close. I never paid much attention to the controversy that the movie sparked since I had yet to watch it, but lately I've been reading some of the responses to the film, including the exhaustive back-and-forth discussion between SC and Cobpyth. I understand how Scorsese's approach to the material could rub many people the wrong way. Since this is based on a true story, many feel the need to stand up for the victims, but this isn't their story. The film is an adaptation of Belfort's memoir. He's our host and our narrator. Obviously he didn't care about the people he scammed to fuel his rock-star fantasy of drugs, sex and debauchery, so considering that the film is viewed through his eyes, it would have felt out of place for Scorsese to place some heavy-handed scenes focusing on the victims. Besides, I prefer my movies without a moral compass. Leave that to the viewer. Scorsese's job is to present the material, not to judge or condemn the man. The fact that this film has sparked so much discussion and controversy and angered and offended so many people is proof that Scorsese succeeded in his intention.

I'd like to revisit the film in a month or two and write a review, since I'm already struggling to keep this write-up to a minimum. The Wolf of Wall Street may not be a comedy in the traditional sense, but I laughed my ass off from beginning to end (and before putting my ass back on, I snorted some cocaine out of my own butt-hole). This film is hysterically funny. When the Lemmon kicks in and he starts mumbling before going into the cerebral palsy stage, I had tears coming out of my eyes from laughing so hard. In a way, that whole sequence symbolizes Belfort's character. At first it's funny and entertaining, but as Scorsese lingered on Belfort's slow attempt to get to his car, rolling down the steps and flinging his useless limbs as he makes his way across the ground, it stops being funny for awhile and just becomes sad and depressing. And the fact that he drove home, hitting every car and bush and mailbox along the way, is representative of his recklessness toward his own well-being, as well as his lack of concern, empathy or consideration for any other individual he could have potentially harmed along the way.

Leo's performance is brilliant. I still think McConaughey deserved his Oscar for Dallas Buyers Club, but it was a much tighter contest than I had initially expected. Leo is so vibrant in the role, so manic and energetic and captivating that it's almost exhausting to watch him. I think part of the reason people feel like the film glorifies Belfort is because they find themselves so caught up in Leo's boyish enthusiasm that they later feel scammed for laughing and enjoying the ride so much along the way. I never felt the movie's length. In fact, most 90-minute movies I watch feel longer than The Wolf of Wall Street. Scorsese has always been one of the best at choosing the perfect songs to complement the scenes, and that's no different here, since the soundtrack is notably excellent. The Wolf of Wall Street is a tour de force of filmmaking worthy of every superlative thrown its way.

Beverly Hills Cop (Martin Brest, 1984): I realized recently that I haven't seen a single Eddie Murphy movie pre-Nutty Professor. Obviously I need to change that, and Beverly Hills Cop was a great place to start. Sure, the movie is predictable and formulaic, but it's also enormously entertaining. Murphy is a riot. With his energy as a performer, his comedic timing, his affable persona and his one-of-a-kind laugh, it's no wonder he was such a huge star in the 80's. He's a very likable leading man. Considering that this movie is now 30 years old and that it has been copied countless times, it's remarkable how modern and fresh it still feels. I watched some of the special features on the DVD and learned that Stallone was originally cast in the leading role. With Stallone, this would've felt like any other action movie starring a rebellious cop, but Murphy brings something different to the table. I can't help but wonder if he laid the blueprint for these type of characters. Judge Reinhold and John Ashton are also hilarious in the film as the mismatched couple tasked with trailing Murphy's Axle Foley. I'm excited to watch the sequels, even though I'm sure they're not as fresh or entertaining.

The Wolf of Wall Street (Martin Scorsese, 2013): I don't necessarily think that The Wolf of Wall Street is the best movie of last year (although it's certainly in the discussion), but in terms of pure entertainment nothing else comes close. I never paid much attention to the controversy that the movie sparked since I had yet to watch it, but lately I've been reading some of the responses to the film, including the exhaustive back-and-forth discussion between SC and Cobpyth. I understand how Scorsese's approach to the material could rub many people the wrong way. Since this is based on a true story, many feel the need to stand up for the victims, but this isn't their story. The film is an adaptation of Belfort's memoir. He's our host and our narrator. Obviously he didn't care about the people he scammed to fuel his rock-star fantasy of drugs, sex and debauchery, so considering that the film is viewed through his eyes, it would have felt out of place for Scorsese to place some heavy-handed scenes focusing on the victims. Besides, I prefer my movies without a moral compass. Leave that to the viewer. Scorsese's job is to present the material, not to judge or condemn the man. The fact that this film has sparked so much discussion and controversy and angered and offended so many people is proof that Scorsese succeeded in his intention.

I'd like to revisit the film in a month or two and write a review, since I'm already struggling to keep this write-up to a minimum. The Wolf of Wall Street may not be a comedy in the traditional sense, but I laughed my ass off from beginning to end (and before putting my ass back on, I snorted some cocaine out of my own butt-hole). This film is hysterically funny. When the Lemmon kicks in and he starts mumbling before going into the cerebral palsy stage, I had tears coming out of my eyes from laughing so hard. In a way, that whole sequence symbolizes Belfort's character. At first it's funny and entertaining, but as Scorsese lingered on Belfort's slow attempt to get to his car, rolling down the steps and flinging his useless limbs as he makes his way across the ground, it stops being funny for awhile and just becomes sad and depressing. And the fact that he drove home, hitting every car and bush and mailbox along the way, is representative of his recklessness toward his own well-being, as well as his lack of concern, empathy or consideration for any other individual he could have potentially harmed along the way.

Leo's performance is brilliant. I still think McConaughey deserved his Oscar for Dallas Buyers Club, but it was a much tighter contest than I had initially expected. Leo is so vibrant in the role, so manic and energetic and captivating that it's almost exhausting to watch him. I think part of the reason people feel like the film glorifies Belfort is because they find themselves so caught up in Leo's boyish enthusiasm that they later feel scammed for laughing and enjoying the ride so much along the way. I never felt the movie's length. In fact, most 90-minute movies I watch feel longer than The Wolf of Wall Street. Scorsese has always been one of the best at choosing the perfect songs to complement the scenes, and that's no different here, since the soundtrack is notably excellent. The Wolf of Wall Street is a tour de force of filmmaking worthy of every superlative thrown its way.
SO glad you liked these movies! Especially The Wolf of Wall Street, which was my favorite film of last year. I even did a review of it on Christmas Day RIGHT after I saw it!

excellent write-ups Captain, agree with a lot of your Wolf of Wall St in-particular. People say that Scorsese and the movie is celebrating or glorifying Belfort, but i definitely disagree with that. The scene that drives that home for me is when Belfort singles out one lady who works for him and tells the story to everyone at Stratton-Oakmont how when before she started working at the firm she needed $5,000 or some small-ish amount to feed her kid and put a roof over his/her head. Belfort announces he gave her $25,000 and her job as a stockbroker. She responds to him and everyone 'i f*ing love you man.'

But the thing that was clear to me is it was hollow. Belfort was making more money than he knew how to spend. He's buying yachts and practically printing money. Sure he helped her out and that sounds good, but he's also announcing it to everyone bc he wants to be celebrated for it. I think that scene was really important bc everyone working there justified what they were doing bc it made them comfortable and got them rich. And they found ways to feel good about scamming people

Welcome to the human race...
Shadow of a Doubt (Alfred Hitchcock, 1944) -

Slick little thriller about Joseph Cotten's sociopathic serial killer evading the law by hiding out with relatives, one of whom eventually suspects that he's not all that he seems. While one could easily point out the kind of plot holes and inconsistent logic that would get a contemporary film pilloried (along with various slightly grating elements such as the protagonist's precocious younger sister or the clumsy handling of the improbable romance between the protagonist and the detective investigating her murderous uncle), it's a testament to Hitchcock's dedication that he still makes a very watchable film that doesn't need the high stakes and bombast of his most famous works in order to get under your skin.

Animal Crackers (Victor Heerman, 1930) -

I'm willing to cut this a bit of slack for being one of the Marx Brothers' earliest ventures into filmmaking, but said slack only goes so far when it comes to this overlong and underweight caper flick revolving around a stolen painting. It hits a lot of familiar criteria - Groucho spits out rapid-fire barbs, Chico and Harpo get into all sorts of chaotic shenanigans, various musical numbers that just feel like padding more than anything else and the story's narrative arc seems to revolve around the actions of a relatively boring young couple.

Three Colours: White (Krzysztof Kieślowski, 1993) -

I didn't think all that much of Blue, but I figured it'd be worth my while to at least check out the other two installments in this trilogy. Ostensibly the lightest one due to the fact that it's a black comedy instead of a straight drama, the story of a Polish immigrant trying to rebuild his life after divorcing from his French wife has its fair share of comical and dramatic moments. While the broader comedy doesn't always work, the moments that blur the line between comedy and drama tend to hit the hardest, especially as the film builds towards a climax that does make a viewer question just where their sympathies lie (if they have any).

Three Colours: Red (Krzysztof Kieślowski, 1994) -

I think I'll have to revisit Blue at some point now, but even if I did I'm not sure it could top Red as the best film of the series. At its heart a story about the unusual friendship that develops between a young model and an old judge, the film still goes on to examine themes such as communication, loneliness, humanity's need to provide and receive compassion and so forth. Definitely helped by the vibrant photography that of course involves heavy use of the colour red. Also provides an ambiguous yet strangely satisfactory conclusion to the whole trilogy when it brings back the protagonists of the previous films.

Laputa: Castle in the Sky (Hayao Miyazaki, 1986) -

If you've seen enough of Miyazaki's other films then you might be like me and will get a little distracted by being able to pick out all the ideas that he reused and/or refined over the rest of his filmmaking career. Whether or not that'll impede your enjoyment of this film will obviously vary, but in my case I still managed to think the resulting film was a solid affair. The story of a pair of orphans trying to find the titular castle is full of memorable characters (including what might just be the vilest antagonist a Ghibli film has ever featured) and some impressively rendered artwork, especially when the film finally reaches the castle for its third act.

Paprika (Satoshi Kon, 2006) -

While it's superficially brighter than the other Kon works I've seen, that only serves to disguise the extremely dark heart that resides at the centre of one of his most impressive works. The plot seems to revolve around a new invention designed to record people's dreams, but things quickly spiral out of control as the lines between dream and reality blur not just for individual characters but for the world at large. Striking visual imagery abounds in just about every frame of this film, and while the story can get a little hard to follow at times, the colourful yet nightmarish designs of the film are more than enough to carry it through its more incomprehensible moments.

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Bryan Singer, 2014) -

Truth be told, my main motivation for watching this movie was just to see what the big deal was about the scene involving Quicksilver. Otherwise, like a lot of other superhero movies it's fun enough on the basis of a single viewing until you start questioning the various gaps in the internal logic (and seeing as I missed all the films between X2 and First Class, there's a good chance i could've had a lot more questions if I'd bothered to see those other films, but what can you do?) At least it's a nice and flashy way to spend two hours, I guess.

Red River (Howard Hawks, 1948) -

So this was basically described as Mutiny on the Bounty but taking place on a cattle drive through the Wild West, which is about as good a description as any. Plenty of emphasis on the rocky relationship between John Wayne's veteran driver and his surrogate son/subordinate (Montgomery Clift) serves to give this otherwise standard Western its heart, even if it does mean the film resolves itself in a somewhat unbelievabe manner. Even so, there's some nice monochromatic photography at work here.

True Grit (Henry Hathaway, 1969) -

I think it's a testimony to the strength of the original film version of True Grit that I managed to keep the Coen brothers' remake out of my mind for the most part (aside from noting the occasional difference between the scripts). It's hard not to think of John Wayne as a relic at the best of times, but I was curious to see what kind of film resulted in him winning an Oscar - unfortunately, it seemed like the win might've been a sympathy vote as Wayne was Wayne, but it was still fairly charming as far as Wayne goes (still think The Shootist or The Searchers might've been his best performance personally). The film looks solid and the cast supporting Wayne is strong (I had no idea Robert Duvall played the nominal villain - he does a good job), but it does have some difficulty maintaining interest over the course of its runtime.

The Man Who Knew Too Much (Alfred Hitchcock, 1956) -

I guess if you could ever accuse Hitchcock of selling out, this would be one of the prime examples. A remake of his 1934 film of the same name, this film involves prime box-office draws James Stewart and Doris Day playing a married couple who end up being drawn into a world of political intrigue as they must somehow foil an assassination plot while managing to rescue their young son from his insidious captors. Though it is slickly made, the central plot doesn't feel particularly engaging - while it was probably fresh for its day, that doesn't translate in the same way that it does for Hitchcock films from the same era. It is that slickness that stops it from getting a lower rating, but it does feel middle-of-the-road as far as Hitchcock goes.

Bernie (Richard Linklater, 2011) -

A weird little true-story film about the titular funeral director (played with considerable aplomb by Jack Black of all people) who befriends Shirley Maclaine's wealthy but acerbic dowager before things take a turn for the worse. While the docudrama approach fits in with Linklater's experimental tendencies and actually feeds the film's themes in the process, the core story feels a bit underweight even at 90 minutes, even if does sport good performances from the film's main trio of Black, Maclaine and Matthew McConaughey (here playing a prosecuting attorny of debatable sympathy).

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Salut les Cubains (Agnès Varda, 1963)

Husk (Brett Simmons, 2011)

To the Devil a Daughter (Peter Sykes, 1976)

Tess (Roman Polanski, 1979)

Innocent Tess (Nastassja Kinski) is seduced by her wealthy "cousin" Leigh Lawson and wild strawberries.
A Legend or Was It? aka Legend of a Duel to the Death (Keisuke Kinoshita, 1963)

A Letter for Evie (Jules Dassin, 1946)

Phaedra (Jules Dassin, 1962)

Never on Sunday (Jules Dassin, 1960)
+

Greek streetwalker Melina Mercouri explains the benefits of her profession to American Jules Dassin who loves her and wants her to quit.
Beyond Tomorrow (A. Edward Sutherland, 1940)

Gone Girl (David Fincher, 2014)

Chilling Visions: 5 Senses of Fear (6 Directors, 2013)

Good Vibrations (Lisa Barros D’Sa & Glenn Leyburn, 2013)
-

While "the troubles" rip the city apart, Belfast record store owner Terry Hooley (Richard Dormer) discovers punk rock and does his best to expand its popularity. Here he listens to the Undertones' "Teenage Kicks" for the first time.
Speed Week (Howard Winner, 1957)

In the Mix (Ron Underwood, 2005)

The Kid (Charles Chaplin, 1921)
-
City Lights (Charles Chaplin, 1931)
+

The Tramp (Charles Chaplin) falls in love with blind flower seller Virginia Cherrill and determines to make her happy.
The Wackiest Ship in the Army (Richard Murphy, 1960)
+
Dark Frontier aka Lucky Frontier (Kriv Stenders, 2009)

Dear White People (Justin Simien, 2014)

Blue Ruin (Jeremy Saulnier, 2014)

Macon Blair is seeking revenge on the man who killed his parents, but things quickly escalate out of hand.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Jersey Boys - I loved this flick, but I have to wonder how it wasn't directed by Martin Scorsese? It's entirely in his wheelhouse. Italian Americans, period setting, mob themes...I mean really. But this was a great flick. Clint Eastwood did a good job directing, and the music is fantastic.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) - You know, I never imagined I'd actually watch this, but it's amazing what a week off from work and nothing to occupy yourself with will do to change your mind. Okay, the turtles are ugly as hell. They look reminiscent of the baby from Eraserhead with the nostrils and lips, and Megan Fox doesn't so much act as stand there and look pretty. But the film has a bit of fun humor, and some good action...it's not like a Ninja Turtle movie was ever gonna be a masterpiece, so by that admittedly lowered standard, this was a fun movie.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

The Professionnal

Extremely stylish cop movie. I LOVED it, Belmondo is badass, it's funny, it's a whole different universe. The score by Moricone is, as every one he ever did, fantastic. I know it's not a ''great movie'' in the sense that some scenes feel cheap and that it's not a very intelligent movie, but it's just everything I love about great action fun.

Mulholland Drive

I can't belive I hadn't see this movie yet and it's probably because I had some premade false ideas about Lynch. This movie was completely amazing, a piece of art that is understandable, but can have different meanings every time you watch it. It's not impossible to understand, you just need to watch it and it will make you feel emotions and then you make your whole interpretation of the film.
+++

The Lion in Winter

I had a hard time getting into the film, but after 20,30 minutes I was sucked in. The funny quirkiness in the exchanges between Peter O'Toole and Katharine Hepburn are captivating. I was skeptical abot whether or not I'd understand what is going on in the film because my knowledge on middle age is very limited, but it wasn't very hard to get into. So overall fantastic movie with anwesome actors, particularly the 2 leads.

Brotherhood of the Wolf

An other badass french movie and an other one that had its action based in the middle age. This one is a fantasy movie, an hardcore french knight with it's iroquois (native american tribe from Québec) try to chase a dangerous beast that hunts the people that lives near it. In the process there are fights, love scenes, suspense, humor. Overall great film

L'ordre et la morale

That is an underseen french movie made by the great Mathieu Kassovitz who made the 1995 film La Haine. It is the story of a tribe in new caledonia (a french territory) that asked for their independance, but in the process take in hostage some french policemen. The main character of the film is sent there to negociate, but the army is also there and they have different visions of how to solve the problem. Also, these events happened during the french 1988 election between Chirac and Mitterrand and Kassovitz shows how the New Caledonia tragedy served as a political issue for the campaign, but they didn't actually care about what really happenned. They did intervene millitarily to get votes not to do justice.

A Simple Life

A simple, touching story about a man who takes care of the cleaning lady who works for him. Simple, beautiful, calm great film.

The Wave

This movie has some flaws, sometimes the reaction of the characters are not very realistic. Also, it shows pretty well what a dictatorship looks like, but sometime it's exagerated, it goes to far to fast. Nonetheless, I love movies that has a message and that tries to say something meaningfull and that one is that kind of film. Also, it shows, even if it has flaws, how fascism/dictatorship systems can rapidly lead to something like the shoah.

Seconds

Pretty good stylish sci fi movie. I wouldn't say it's a new personnal favorite, but the camera movement was very interesting and the idea also is. I wouldn't say it's a very entertaining film and the middle of the film doesn't have a point imo. The whole scene in the party was long and boring to my liking. Still, a very good film.

Three Colours: White (Krzysztof Kieślowski, 1993) -

Three Colours: Red (Krzysztof Kieślowski, 1994) -
I blind bought the Three Colors trilogy on DVD several months ago and still haven't gotten around to watching them. I really need to fix that.

Brotherhood of the Wolf

An other badass french movie and an other one that had its action based in the middle age. This one is a fantasy movie, an hardcore french knight with it's iroquois (native american tribe from Québec) try to chase a dangerous beast that hunts the people that lives near it. In the process there are fights, love scenes, suspense, humor. Overall great film
Brotherhood of the Wolf used to be in my top ten. It's slipped a bit in the last few years but it's still a really entertaining movie. Glad you enjoyed it.

Offret (Sacrifice) 1986

First Tarkovskij film and I'm not impressed yet. Slightly fascinated but we'll have to see when I get around more of his filmography...

Open Grave 2014

Some good actors in here, but they really doesn't get to shine at all from the VERY poorly written script. The dialogue is embarrassing, the story is messy and incoherent, and overall the movie is just so unsure of itself. It doesn't really have a plan for where it is going, and mysteries are nice as long as you get some clues throughout or at least things kind of make sense. Here it doesn't.