Golden Globe Awards 2016, Film

Tools    

The nominees in the motion picture categories...

BEST PICTURE, DRAMA
Carol
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Revenant
Room
Spotlight

BEST PICTURE, MUSICAL/COMEDY
The Big Short
Joy
The Martian
Spy
Trainwreck

BEST DIRECTOR
Todd Haynes, Carol
Tom McCarthy, Spotlight
George Miller, Mad Max: Fury Road
Ridley Scott, The Martian
Alejandro González Iñárritu, The Revenant

BEST ACTOR, DRAMA
Bryan Cranston, Trumbo
Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs
Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl
Will Smith, Concussion

BEST ACTRESS, DRAMA
Cate Blanchett, Carol
Brie Larson, Room
Rooney Mara, Carol
Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn
Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl

BEST ACTOR, MUSICAL/COMEDY
Christian Bale, The Big Short
Steve Carell, The Big Short
Matt Damon, The Martian
Al Pacino, Danny Collins
Mark Ruffalo, Infinitely Polar Bear

BEST ACTRESS, MUSICAL/COMEDY
Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
Melissa McCarthy, Spy
Amy Schumer, Trainwreck
Maggie Smith, The Lady in the Van
Lily Tomlin, Grandma

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Paul Dano, Love & Mercy
Idris Elba, Beasts of No Nation
Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies
Michael Shannon, 99 Homes
Sylvester Stallone, Creed

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Jane Fonda, Youth
Jennifer Jason Leigh, The Hateful Eight
Helen Mirren, Trumbo
Alicia Vikander, Ex Machina
Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs

BEST SCREENPLAY
The Big Short
The Hateful Eight
Room
Spotlight
Steve Jobs

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
Anomalisa
The Good Dinosaur
Inside Out
The Peanuts Movie
Shaun the Sheep Movie

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FEATURE
The Brand New Testament (Belgium)
The Club (Chile)
The Fencer (Finland)
Mustang (France)
Son of Saul (Hungary)

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Carol
The Danish Girl
The Hateful Eight
Steve Jobs
The Revenant

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
"Love Me Like You Do", Fifty Shades of Grey
"One Kind of Love", Love & Mercy
"See You Again", Furious 7
"Simple Song #3", Youth
"Writing's On the Wall", Spectre
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

While I definitely laughed more during The Martian than say Vacation or Mortdecai, I didn't realize I was watching a Comedy. Or perhaps with all of the '70s Disco music on the soundtrack, it was considered a Musical?

Wait, why is Tommy Wiseau's The Room being nominated for Best Picture?

Oh my God. It would be SO COOL if Anomalisa got the upcoming Oscar for Animated Feature.

Sly got nominated! That's the highlight!

After many years of being bashed by critics for delivering terrible performances in terrible films, the Itslian Stallion is back in the ring!

The only challenge he faces in the Supporting Actor category is Mark Rylance, who was superb as the Russian spy in Bridge of Spies

The nominees in the motion picture categories...

BEST PICTURE, DRAMA
Carol
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Revenant
Room
Spotlight

BEST PICTURE, MUSICAL/COMEDY
The Big Short
Joy
The Martian
Spy
Trainwreck

BEST DIRECTOR
Todd Haynes, Carol
Tom McCarthy, Spotlight
George Miller, Mad Max: Fury Road
Ridley Scott, The Martian
Alejandro González Iñárritu, The Revenant

BEST ACTOR, DRAMA
Bryan Cranston, Trumbo
Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl
Will Smith, Concussion

BEST ACTRESS, DRAMA
Cate Blanchett, Carol
Brie Larson, Room
Rooney Mara, Carol
Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn
Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl

BEST ACTOR, MUSICAL/COMEDY
Christian Bale, The Big Short
Steve Carell, The Big Short
Matt Damon, The Martian
Al Pacino, Danny Collins
Mark Ruffalo, Infinitely Polar Bear

BEST ACTRESS, MUSICAL/COMEDY
Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
Melissa McCarthy, Spy
Amy Schumer, Trainwreck
Maggie Smith, The Lady in the Van
Lily Tomlin, Grandma

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Paul Dano, Love & Mercy
Idris Elba, Beasts of No Nation
Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies
Michael Shannon, 99 Homes
Sylvester Stallone, Creed

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Jane Fonda, Youth
Jennifer Jason Leigh, The Hateful Eight
Helen Mirren, Trumbo
Alicia Vikander, Ex Machina
Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs

BEST SCREENPLAY
The Big Short
The Hateful Eight
Room
Spotlight
Steve Jobs

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
Anomalisa
The Good Dinosaur
Inside Out
The Peanuts Movie
Shaun the Sheep Movie

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FEATURE
The Brand New Testament (Belgium)
The Club (Chile)
The Fencer (Finland)
Mustang (France)
Son of Saul (Hungary)

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Carol
The Danish Girl
The Hateful Eight
Steve Jobs
The Revenant

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
"Love Me Like You Do", Fifty Shades of Grey
"One Kind of Love", Love & Mercy
"See You Again", Furious 7
"Simple Song #3", Youth
"Writing's On the Wall", Spectre
My list of predicted winners (more like the ones I hope will win):

The Revenant
The Martian
Alejandro Inarritu
Leonardo DiCaprio
Rooney Mara
Steve Carell
Lily Tomlin
Sylvester Stallone
Jennifer Jason Leigh
The Hateful Eight (Quentin Tarantino, Screenplay)
Inside Out
The Revenant (Music Score)
See You Again (Song)

While I definitely laughed more during The Martian than say Vacation or Mortdecai, I didn't realize I was watching a Comedy. Or perhaps with all of the '70s Disco music on the soundtrack, it was considered a Musical?
Craziness. I still think it could have been nominated too.

They didn't do too bad. Mirren for Trumbo though.

Also surprised to see no acting noms for Spotlight. Looks like being such an ensemble piece is going to hurt the individual actors for awards.

Sly got nominated! That's the highlight!

After many years of being bashed by critics for delivering terrible performances in terrible films, the Itslian Stallion is back in the ring!

The only challenge he faces in the Supporting Actor category is Mark Rylance, who was superb as the Russian spy in Bridge of Spies
I could definitely see the Globes giving Supporting Actor to Idris Elba. He was also nominated this year for the latest "Luther" series, on the TV side of the Globe nods. Counting these two, he has six Golden Globe nominations so far, and a previous win for "Luther" in 2012. Oh, yeah, and of course he is excellent in Beasts of No Nation. He's excellent in everything.

Mad Max made it to the Best Picture category. Damn. Maybe it's going to be this years Gravity? Despite being opposite in the achievements of visuals, they're both "experience movies".

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Over the moon "Love Me Like You Do" got a nom! Because let's face it, the Oscars won't choose it

Also, is Rooney Mara going to be categorised as leading or supporting? Because it seems quite divided at the minute I hope it won't hurt her chances, but since she won in Cannes, I doubt it will.

Why has The Martian been classified as a comedy? Another The Tourist scandal perhaps?

Also, is Rooney Mara going to be categorised as leading or supporting? Because it seems quite divided at the minute I hope it won't hurt her chances, but since she won in Cannes, I doubt it will.
We'll know in January. It depends partially on how they campaign for Mara's role, but the actors branch of the Academy is free to vote for her on their nominating ballots as either lead or supporting. The Studio, I'm sure, would like to have her in the Supporting Actress category at the Oscars. Since Cate is a shoo-in to make the cut, they may figure Rooney's chances are better in the other category. Plus then they could potentially both win.

They could of course both be nominated as Best Actress. The two female leads have been nominated before: Geena Davis and Susan Sarandon for Thelma & Lousie, Debra Winger and Shirley MacLaine for Terms of Endearment, Anne Bancroft and Shirley MacLaine for The Turning Point, Elizabeth Taylor and Katharine Hepburn for Suddenly Last Summer, and Anne Baxter and Bette Davis for All About Eve. Of those five pairings, only once has one of the women won the Oscar: Shirley MacLaine for Terms of Endearment.

So strategically, it is probably better to separate them, like the Golden Globes has.

Nominating The Martian in the Comedy category is a comedy in and of itself. I checked Wikipedia, IMDB, and Rotten Tomatoes and none of them list "comedy" as a genre describing The Martian. If anything, the nomination is more of an insult than a commendation because they're basically telling Ridley Scott they didn't take his movie seriously.
I'm happy to see Mad Max and George Miller get love with their noms.

Nominating The Martian in the Comedy category is a comedy in and of itself. I checked Wikipedia, IMDB, and Rotten Tomatoes and none of them list "comedy" as a genre describing The Martian. If anything, the nomination is more of an insult than a commendation because they're basically telling Ridley Scott they didn't take his movie seriously.
I'm happy to see Mad Max and George Miller get love with their noms.
If I am not mistaken, the studio decidex what category to place it in. I agree it is not a comedy though. Lots of drama has comedic elements.

If I am not mistaken, the studio decidex what category to place it in. I agree it is not a comedy though. Lots of drama has comedic elements.
For the Globes the Studios or producers can lobby as to which category a film may fall in, but it is up to the Hollywood Foreign Press Association to make the final call. Apparently Harvey Weinstein tried to get them to classify The Hateful Eight as a comedy this year, and they said no thanks.

Golden Globes get to pick and choose what categorizations they agree with and what they don't. Martian, Joy, Trumbo, and H8fuk all tried to run for comedy. They said yes to the first two and no to the last two. Cool that Vikander got a double nom. Cool that they took their sticks out of their butts and supported an action movie.

Golden Globes get to pick and choose what categorizations they agree with and what they don't. Martian, Joy, Trumbo, and H8fuk all tried to run for comedy. They said yes to the first two and no to the last two. Cool that Vikander got a double nom. Cool that they took their sticks out of their butts and supported an action movie.
My bad. I thought Trumbo tried to be more comedic than Martian. I wouldn't classify either as straight comedy though.

Predictions subject to change.

Best Motion Picture -- Drama
Spotlight

Best Motion Picture -- Comedy/Musical
Joy

Best Actor -- Drama

Best Actor -- Comedy/Musical
Matt Damon, The Martian

Best Actress -- Drama
Cate Blanchett, Carol

Best Actress -- Comedy/Musical