Best Movie Soundtracks?

Tools    

I'm talking about movies where either the songs, or the score just fit the movie perfectly- but also work pretty well just to listen to as albums. I can't really decide on my #1, but some of my favs are:

Easy Rider
The Crow
Royal Tenenbaums
Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
STAR WARS (all of them really)
The Good the Bad and the Ugly
Snatch
Saturday Night Fever

There are at least four existing threads on favorite soundtracks, including...
THIS ONE
THIS ONE
THIS ONE
and
THIS ONE

The site's search function is easy to use and will lead to fewer duplicate threads on topics. Don't look at me like that; it's true!
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Yeah that's cool, I'll make use of that. It sucks being in the noob stage. Other forums I've been on at least- if you create a duplicate thread, you're invited to use the search function, if you resurrect threads that older members are tired of seeing over and over again, no one likes that either. It's a tough line to walk. Point taken though.

Having said all that, I totally forgot about "The Graduate," One of the earliest examples of a film soundtrack consisting mostly of popular music as opposed to a composed score. One of the best soundtracks around, and some of S&G's best tunes too for sure.

Oh, yeah, The Graduate is a great and very influential one, no doubt. "April, Come She Will" is one of my favroite Simon & Garfunkle tunes.

It's cool, there is always that fine line. But you can also figure with a topic as broad as favorite soundtracks, we've probably gotten around to discussing them over the years. The more specific a topic is, the less likely they'll be a whole thread (or mutliple threads) devoted to it. But it never hurts to check. The search funtion really is pretty easy to use.

Definitely add your favorites to one of those threads and get the discussion back up and running. That first link I have above is probably the best one with the most recent additions.

51st date. just love the tast of music by adam sandler

Pulp Fictions soundtrack is fantastic...

so: Matrix(from Reloaded only Dread Rock by Paul Oakenfold),Blade,Judgment Night,Pi,Requiem for e dream(Clint Mansel Rules),Password:Swordfish,Trainspoting,Boondock Saints,Pulp Fiction

I forgot to mention "Debbie Does Dallas," and "Deep Throat," the "films" themselves are only about mediocre IMO compared with others, but the MUSIC in them was fantastic.

Boogie Nights also has an awesome soundtrack... Nostalgia revisited with that film

theres to many hot soundtracks to films, i find at least one every year weather old or new, Judgment night was an awesome one,I even liked Godzilla's, but these are two examples where the soundtrack is better than the film itself, any one else think of some?

mine has to be,

1. the village - James Newton Howard
2. lady in the water - James Newton Howard
3. gladiator - Hans Zimmer
4. The last Samurai - Hans Zimmer
5. signs - James Newton Howard

I'd have to go for

Incase the pic's don't show, Human Traffic, Saturday Night Fever, The Blues Brothers and The Commitments.

Oh, And I'll add Highlander aswell.

Walk The Line By Joaquin Phoenix Played Back To Back For Months.

Fight Club
Kill Bill both Volumes
Legend (I'm a sucker for Tangerine Dream)

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
- Out Cold
- Unbreakable
- Fight Club
- High Fidelity
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

what about soundtracks with the odd song that dont suit the film, like spiderman 2 soundtrack i cant stand one song by The ataris on the album,'The night that the lights went out in NYC' its not that its just bad, its just that it dont suit and its out of place and your like what were they thinking?

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
Originally Posted by missmari98
Walk The Line By Joaquin Phoenix Played Back To Back For Months.
ah yeah definately

i went round singing the ring of fire for ages after seeing that

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Originally Posted by bueller
what about soundtracks with the odd song that dont suit the film, like spiderman 2 soundtrack i cant stand one song by The ataris on the album,'The night that the lights went out in NYC' its not that its just bad, its just that it dont suit and its out of place and your like what were they thinking?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this isn't so much as the CD Soundtrack, it's more the music that is played during the film. I can't think of one moment during Spider-Man 2 where that song was being played.

I do agree with you though, I liked almost all the songs on the CD, that was one that just didn't mix well.

My opinion, the best soundtracks I've heard are from Miami Vice, Garden State, Walk The Line, Kill Bill Vol. 2, Reservoir Dogs, The Aviator, and Road to Perdition.