Who is the most overrated director?

Tools    

The King of Movies
Tim Burton: People say his films are more "inteligant" and "better" because the way he films them are in that dark gothic style. Frankly when i want to watch a god dam movie i want to be able to see it properly and see what is going on. Who ever directed Sin City this also applyes to.

Kubrick: The Shinning was boring as the second half of Full Metal Jacket also was. I haven't seen 2001: A space oddesy but i'm guessing that is also boring.

Tarantino: I like him, lets get that straight. But he is not great or any thing. I mean any one can make a movie seem bad ass by throwing in some classic rock songs, refrences to other movies and cool fights scenes into it.

A system of cells interlinked
Tim Burton: People say his films are more ["intelligent"] and "better" because the way he films them are in that dark gothic style. Frankly when i want to watch a god dam movie i want to be able to see it properly and see what is going on. Who ever directed Sin City this also [applies] to.

Kubrick: The [Shining] was boring as the second half of Full Metal Jacket also was. I haven't seen 2001: A space [odyssey] ]but i'm guessing that is also boring.

Tarantino: I like him, lets get that straight. But he is not great or any thing. I mean any one can make a movie seem bad ass by throwing in some classic rock songs, [references] to other movies and cool fights scenes into it.
Yeah, why bother with stuff that makes you think, or that takes a little patience to understand. There is so much wrong with the above post, I would have to write a book to reply. I won't bother.

Quentin Tarantino - hasn't made a decent movie since Jackie Brown, and borrows too obviously and heavily from his influences.

Francis Ford Coppola - ok so I love Apocalypse Now and The Godfather films but he's seriously lost it since, Jack anyone?

John Woo - The Killer and Hard Boiled were ok, but he showed in Hollywood that to make a good movie, it takes more than diving through the air in slow motion with two guns blazing.

John Carpenter - He's made some of my favourite flicks and I love the guy, but for the last twenty years he's delivered nothing but crap.

Tarantino: I like him, lets get that straight. But he is not great or any thing. I mean any one can make a movie seem bad ass by throwing in some classic rock songs, refrences to other movies and cool fights scenes into it.
Well, for one thing that last part in your post is just Fail. Tarantino barely has any action in his movies (with the exception of the ending to Kill Bill Vol. 1).

The King of Movies
Well, for one thing that last part in your post is just Fail. Tarantino barely has any action in his movies (with the exception of the ending to Kill Bill Vol. 1).
Kill Bill 2 also had some cool fight scenes. Also Reservoir Dogs had some cool violent scenes in it.

The King of Movies
Yeah, why bother with stuff that makes you think, or that takes a little patience to understand. There is so much wrong with the above post, I would have to write a book to reply. I won't bother.

No i don't mind thinking in movies. But just because a movie looks "dark" it doesn't actualy mean it is intelligiant. All movies that are filmed that way do to me is make me want to punch Burton in his face because i can't see what the hell is going on.

Alot of intelligant movies have been filmed normall and i liked them.

How the hell does the Shining make you think???? It just is a crazy Jack Nichloson chacing his family around a house.

Registered Creature
Kubrick overrated? Now that's a first... o:

Steven Spielberg. Never won me over with any of his films, I can't understand his overwhelming popularity at all. Yeah, he's made a few great films here and there, (i.e. Saving Private Ryan, Raiders) but I hardly think he qualifies as 'one of the greatest directors cinema has to offer'.

I've never been a Tim Burton fan either, I'm not sure why. I guess I just don't like his films.

The King of Movies
Spielberg has been successful because "every one" likes his films. He isn't the type of director that would win awards every year. This is simply because he targets a large audience and not just people who understand good cinema.

A good example is No Country for Old Men. Sure it was a great film and people who understand the art of film making loved it. The Coens got their awards and every one went home happy. This movie might have been great in terms of film, BUT it could not attract a huge audience. Spielberg can just by making films the average man likes.

Jurassic Park wasn't that great in terms of film making and getting people to think, but it was entertaining, and the majority of the world go to see a movie not to think but to be entertained. IMO i don't mind the occasional "thinking" movie that might not make much money at the box office but still get good reviews but like most people i would rather watch Snakes On a Plane over No Country for Old Men.

Personally I love Quentin Tarantino, but I can see how people may consider him overrated even if I don't. Oliver Stone is a tough call, I haven't liked a lot of his films but he has made some damn good ones at the same time and good or bad they all seem to stir up conversation, which I think is a definite sign of a director that is not overrated.Basically tarantino simply rocks!!!

fbi
I think Oliver Stone is overrated.
Honestly? Alexander? Please.
And the way he "tweaked" Natural Born Killers."
I will admit if I hadn't know the script was written by Quentin Tarantino then I might have a lighter opinion of the movie.
I liked the way he directed the battle of guagemela in alexander. I thought that was awesome. Great sweeping long shots rather than the convetntional qucik cuts and edits most directors use to disguise poor stories.

The rest of alexander wasnt so great however.

I do agree oliver stones directing is overrated though. He seems quite clumsy and most of his films seem amateurish.

Michael bay i feel has gotten away with murder. He makes some major stinkers and still earns millions simply cos he aims for the mass youth audience.

Put in some sexy bade even though she cant act. Have her showing her ass for no reason cos hey...thats all it takes to please an audience these days. Put in some cocky young male lead who the general public looooves now cos these type of guys are supposed to be cool whereas in a society with decent people he would be slapped round the head and be told to behave himself.

Throw in some useless explosions and car chases which take up an hours worth and hey, these are the ingredients bay needs to ensure his own success.

i would rather watch Snakes On a Plane over No Country for Old Men.
Even though I actually liked Sankes On A Plane, that's just sad.

David Lynch... I say this out of spite of course because I could never understand his movies!

Registered Creature
I haven't seen No Country yet, so I'll bite back my tongue... for now.

How the hell does the Shining make you think???? It just is a crazy Jack Nichloson [chasing] his family around a house.
It's a hotel, not a house. The film has boatloads of subtext, concerning family, isolation, duality, and more. Constant allusions to duality are throughout the entire film. The twin girls, the mirrored feel to many of the sets, and Nicholson's Jeckyl and Hyde portrayal of his character. Kubrick explores the duality of man, as he does in many of his films.

How about to father/son schism that exists between Danny and Jack? Certainly some subtext there, as well.

And on and on...

There are levels and levels of social and psychological concepts throughout the film, which have been studied and written about many times over. Do a quick search to find a wealth of information on the subject.

David Lynch... I say this out of spite of course because I could never understand his movies!

It's surrealist film. Fans of a straightforward narrative need not apply. Many of his films require multiple viewings before meanings start to emerge. A lot of his stuff focuses on tone and visceral manipulation of his audience. I can't get enough of his work...

no comment

I'll say Quentin Tarantino. I liked "Reservoir Dogs". I loved "Pulp Fiction". But how many times can he make movies in a non-linear fashion with a soundtrack full of classic rock and funk hits with references to thirty year old tv shows? All I want is to see something new from him.

Want something new from him? Try Inglorious Bastards, the new WWII film. I think this movie will bring him a new level of respect.

Tim Burton: People say his films are more "inteligant" and "better" because the way he films them are in that dark gothic style. Frankly when i want to watch a god dam movie i want to be able to see it properly and see what is going on. Who ever directed Sin City this also applyes to.

Kubrick: The Shinning was boring as the second half of Full Metal Jacket also was. I haven't seen 2001: A space oddesy but i'm guessing that is also boring.

haha, yea. I always thought Burton was overrated too. He's like a big budget "independent" director. That's why people like him...

I still think Kubrick is awesome though. His movies have a lot of depth--re-watch that second half of Jacket....