Donniedarko reviews

→ in
Tools    

Review 1: Antichrist
What the **** did I just wacth?
In short you'll see in here to people having sex in front of corpses, a fetus hanging out of a deer, very weird masturbation seen, a handjob with the ejaculation of blood and so much more messed up things.
Reading the wiki synopsis can turn your stomach inside out. Wacthing it is practically unbearable. Yes Dahoe had a great performance but it's something you can miss. Every limit is pushed in this film and I think it stepped way over the line of what you should put in a film, by a couple miles. I've wacthed a lot of movies and this one is the most messed up.
2.5 stars

Review 2: 2001: A Space Odessy
I have high expectations for this film and they were met. The special effects were amazing and way ahead of there times. The score was awesome and blended in right into the movie. It was truly a pioneer movie, this 1968 film has been setting the tracks for many other films to follow. This is not just a cult classic, this is a classic that will be for ages. I think even in 200 years when films become something completely a different things this will once again be remastered and watched. I don't have a list of movies you must watch before you die but this would be in the top 10. I'm not saying this is in my 10 favorites but I understand what I was missing by not wacthing this film for so long. Kubrick is a master of film. I ranked this film below The Shining but not by much. If you're a movie fan you must watch this, because without this one movie, there be a countless amount of movies that were never made.
4.5 Stars

Review 3: grindhouse
Tarantino and Rodriguez come together for an awesome kick ass grindhouse double feature. The trailers were hilarious and inspired later films like Machete and Hobo with a Shotgun. The first feature was Planet Terror which I think was the better half of this film. It was as funny as it was action packed. It truly was a typical grindhouse. It was followed by deathproof. Which is a man with a deathproof car killing teenagers. It was a little slower moving but still a lot of fun. I watched this on a late Saturday night and I truly felt like I was in a drive in 70s theater. I highly recommend *this.
4 stars

AntiChrist isn't that bad in the violence/gore department... it's all relevant to how her mind is working in the film - one element is
WARNING: "AntiChrist" spoilers below
punishment for what happened at the start of the film(sex and the child's death), hence that most of the violence was directed at the genitals.

AntiChrist isn't that bad in the violence/gore department... it's all relevant to how her mind is working in the film - one element is
WARNING: "AntiChrist" spoilers below
punishment for what happened at the start of the film(sex and the child's death), hence that most of the violence was directed at the genitals.
It might be revelant I just dont think anyone needs to see it. I mean I respect movies that leave nothing out and are mindf**ks like Mullholland Drive. I just don't like it when I go get a snack from the refrigerator and I see a woman cutting off her clit. I just don't see why this had to be a movie, it was just kind of pointless. Maybe I just missed the artistic value in it.

It might just be me, but I didn't have a problem with that bit, I found the bit in Planet Terror(that you gave 4 stars to) where Tarantino's
WARNING: " Planet Terror [spoilers" spoilers below
penis melts/rots off or whatever happened to it
more disgusting.

I just don't like it when I go get a snack from the refrigerator and I see a woman cutting off her clit.
Well that's your fault for eating during such a film...

It might just be me, but I didn't have a problem with that bit, I found the bit in Planet Terror(that you gave 4 stars to) where Tarantino's
WARNING: " Planet Terror [spoilers" spoilers below
penis melts/rots off or whatever happened to it
more disgusting.

Well that's your fault for eating during such a film...
hahaha you got a point there.
But I didn't just give it a bad rating beCause it was disgusting I just thought it was kind of pointless. In Planet Terror I thought the penis part was funny more than anything
"I guess I'm going to have to make it quick then".
But in Antichrist I just thought it was pointless, Atleast to show it so graphically.
And one question how do you do the hide spoilers thing?

"Antichrist" is very violent, however I did see it as just a 'part' of the film, if you get what I mean. Not a masterpiece by any measure, but a pretty good movie.

Agree 2001 is epic.
What did you make of the ending?

Agree 2001 is epic.
What did you make of the ending?
I thought the end was awesome. It's not that it was scary but it sent chills down my spine, it really did feel like it was all leading up to that.

And no Tyler I haven't seen it but I've heard about that, it's lying in my Netflix queue somewhere I just haven't got to putting it to the top, I'll check it put though.

Review 4: Deliver us From Evil
The greater documentary ever made and I'll try to leave personal views out of this but it'll be hard to with the strong opinions I have on the catholic churches handling of child molestors. The statistics in this film were shocking. For example one of ten priests graduate from St Paul are registered pedophiles. The stories are chilling. A priest inserting his gentile inside 9 month old infants vagina among dozens of others and *bishops knowingly sending him to different parishes with children a shocking four times. The way Amy Berg flows through this movie leaving nothing out will hurl your stomach inside out. And at the end you still feel like justice wasn't served. This movie has solidified my idea that the high anarchy of the catholic church are just corrupt executives who will do anything to make there business look good.
4.5 stars

Review 5: Pi
I don't know why I couldn't really get into this movie, maybe it was because I'm not a math buff. Maybe its because the style is so familiar. All I really know was it was hard for me to get into the story.

The first Arnofsky film reminded me a lot of later film Memento except a lot less entertaining. The biggest problem for me was that it had all this crazy stuff happening at the end that it felt like this was all leading to something, well it wasn't.

Yes it's a chilly dark film. The main performance was good. It was well directed. But the story and entertainment value weren't there.
2 stars

Review 6: My Week with Marilyn
Before anything let me say playing Marliyn Monroe is one of the hardest parts, and Michelle Williams did it flawlessly. She played all her personalities to the last detail. It was beautiful. The movie itself though wasn't all that great. It had a lack luster script and really it left me with a so what feeling. After the 1 and a half hours, when its all wrapped up, it kinda felt like so what. What now? I think Michelle Williams could've done so much more with the role an played in a more interesting part of Marilyn's life. The cast pulled this movie up as much as they could, but it just wasn't enough.
2 stars

Review 7: the negotiator
(May contain spoilers)
Samuel L Jackson and Kevin spacey did great in this mystery/suspense film. A lot of people complained that it was to long but I can't say I was ever bored in the 2 hours 20 mins it lasted. I loved all the twists and action. Now there was one large plot hole though. The wreckage caused and crimes committed in Omar's pursuit to prove his innocence there were more crimes committed then the one he was put up for. Vandilization, voluntary man slaughter, involuntary manslaughter, holding people hostage. No matter if he was innocent Or not it was still illegal. There were innocent people who he was hurting. But since he did it to disprove another crime it's alright. That's just not how it works. Despite this though most audience members will enjoy watching this movie.
3.5 stars

Review 8: Halloween (1978)
Can someone please explain what was scary about this movie? I mean I love the slasher genre the only horrors that scare me but this was just awful.
There were many plot holes
When Michael Myers was chasing people on the streets, really there was no one outside on Halloween night?
A grown man walks all day in mask in the open and know one suspects anything?

I mean despite that the movie just wasn't scary. But I didn't find a lot of main stream horrors scary e.g. The Excirsist and Nightmare on Elm Street. Maybe it's just not my film.
1.5 stars

Review 9: 50/50
Contains spoilers
Now coming into this film I expected like everyone said the best comedy/drama of 2011, coming out I know that would definebtly be The Decsendents. The formula just didn't work, the drama took away from the comedy and free comedy take away from the drama. I do admit though the last surgery scene was very sad. The therapist and GF looked to alike makin it hard to distinguish, and the romantic part of the film was incredibly predictable.
2.5 stars

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
The Negotiator is a good film, just not a big fan of the ending.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
And I'm also not a big fan of Halloween. I can appreciate what it did for the horror and slasher genre, but the film itself just isn't that scary (or engaging).

Review 10: Diary of a country priest
I was extremely dissapointed. The biggest problem was the voice over. I mean I'd she motions for you to sit, you don't have to tell me I can see it. I can when you're having a meal, it felt like an audio book. While yes it was entertaining and fairly sad that voice over just ruined the whole thing for me
3 stars

Review 11: Psycho
(contains spoilers)
Alfred Hitchcock has done it again, in not his best but his scariest movie. My heart was racing waiting for the infamous shower scene. The last zoom in to Anthony Perkins face will haunt me for nights to come.*

Perkins put up a great performance as the villan, the only one that compares is Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs. The only problem was there was no personal emotion when ms.crane died. For me it was she got what was coming to her, but still if a B&W moie can scare me i know it's a great film
4 stars

Review 12: Everything Must Go
Everything must go. Is a decent enough movies for you to sit there and enjoy but its not one that you will be laughing the whole time threw. Even though the story itself was pretty set the movie was feel good. It was the most serious roll of Ferrels career and he fit in well. There's really no twists and turns its just a calm peaceful movie, and that's enough for me to give it a positive rating.
3.5 stars

Got 3 Hitchcock reviews today

Review 13: The Birds
"I hope you all figure this thing out"
"it's the end of the world"

The Birds is one of the few Hitchcock's works I didn't have high expectations for despite the high rating. Just the plot of birds attacking humans didn't seem all the scary. I'm not saying it was one of his scariest works but it kept you on the edge and the later attack scenes were pretty frightening. It was also one of his more graphic films, though not at all graphic compared to movies today. With everything said and done this is a great movie
4 stars

Review 14: Number 17
This was one of Hitchcock's early works and was one of his worse. It was very hard to follow and despite the film being only slightly more than an hour it was boring. There was one thing I liked a lot though. The klutz humor that Ben brought to the table. Without that this would be one of my least favorite movies, which I would hate to say for any work of Hitch. This is defiantly the worse film I've seen of his but he was still a young director who had time to learn, and he certainly did.
1.5 stars

Review 15:Rear Window (one of the earliest reviews I wrote)
The first time I saw this, i really liked it gave it 4.5 and scracthed it off my list of classics I must see. The second time I wacthed it I really fully grasped how elgently beautiful this Hitchcock masterpeice is. Exploring the lives of a ballet dancer, a pianist, a lonely woman, and of course our antagonist Mr. Thorwold was so entertaining and suspensful that it rocked in to my top 15 films. It's a great movie from a great director.
4.5 stars

Antichrist is a brilliant horror film. It isn't nearly as violent as Planet Terror (which you highly praised) and Antichrist's violence is thematically sound, regardless of how shocking/disturbing it is. The very fact that you can applaud a semi-pointless gorefest like Planet Terror while in the very same post you also snub Antichrist for being too explicit just goes to show how much more effective and meaningful Antichrist's use of violence is.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Review 16: The Woman (2011)
(Contains spoilers)
In a film that raised a lot of controversy at Sundance we follow a family whos main man Mr. Cleek captures a woman who they are trying to civilize. As Mrs.Cleek questions this decision Mr.Cleek slaps her and casually goes back to bed. You'd think this would be a first warning sign, or maybe a second the first being that he captured a woman. Later in on the film the son of the family takes a peek at the woman inside the cellar to see his father raping her, the next day the son takes the same action while masturbating to himself torturing the women. The wife snaps after Mr.Cleek makes it seem like it's perfectly fine and "boys will be boys", after she announces shes leaving him he bets her and directs his oldest daughter Peg to get her a cold towel. When it gets really weird is when the teacher comes, and I'll let you watch that scene on your own. Lucky McKee takes risks and I respect that, it was controversial and well rightfully so. He wanted to shock us and he did.
3 stars

Review 17:I'm Still here
when I first saw the cover of this film I thought it was gonna be a Stand up comedy show of Zack Galifinikanes. Nope it's a documentary of the fall of the legendary Jauquin Pheonix. It's a hard documentary to wacth. Ecpecially with the things a formerly normal man would do. At times it was like watching a movie with the Jackass crew, with all the unnecessary male nudeness. Here's what you'll see in the film: Pheonix being unbelievingly abusive to his assistant, Pheonix getting shitted on (figuratively and literally), among other things like snorting of cocaine and oral sex. You couldn't stop to ask: why would Casey put his brother-in law out like that? Now it's hard to explain why I gave this 3.5. It's because of the risk they took and the little censorship. Publicity stunt or not, there's no way to not be shuddered up by this movie. Would I reccomend it? NO! Do I appreciate it for what it is? I do.
3.5 stars

Review 18: Girl with the dragon Tattoo (2011)
Wow, there's just so much to say about this film. Now when I heard they were remaking it I thought David Fincher is just remaking a movie that doesn't need a remake, but after much positive critical reception I thought "why not?".*

One of the shining points in this film is Roony Maras role as Lisbeth. It was one of the finest female performances of they year. She was casted so perfectly for the role. With out her it would be like a missing piece in a puzzle.

The adaption I can't really judge it as I was never able to finish the book. I just couldn't get into it. Based on the beginning though it moved much faster whicth is understandable as you can't make a 4 hour film. (Unless Fincher remakes Once Upon a Time in America).*

One controversial point in this film was the rape scene. While yes it did shake me up I must say after watching Good Neighbors I could call this one subtle. But then again it's not a competition.*

Another great part of this film was the film editing. With over 150 minutes of footage I was not once bored. It felt like you were swing through it while some long movies make you feel like you're dragging a boulder the whole way through.

When I give such a high review with no perfect rating the first question is, "why didn't you give it 5?". Well the music at the beginning was so loud I couldn't hear the dialogue. I even had to turn on subtitles. Would it get 5 stars if not because of that? Probably not since a perfect rating is very rare for me. Its like getting a piece of bread in 1840s Ireland, but if you want a reason there you go. And speaking of music the score it self was wonderful, If only they turned it down a level.

4.5 stars

So, after seeing it, liking it and giving it such a high score, would you still agree that it wasn't worth remaking?

So, after seeing it, liking it and giving it such a high score, would you still agree that it wasn't worth remaking?
I disagree with my original thought