Movie Title Suggestions

Tools    

Aloha, MoFos.

As some of you may have already noticed, I've added a title suggestion feature to the Favorite Movies page. It detects common errors or misspellings and tries to guess what title you were thinking of. It's far from perfect, naturally, but it should catch the majority of mistakes.

This may seem pedantic, but it serves a very useful purpose. Your favorite movies are clickable, and when clicked a search is run on whatever text you enter. Thus, if someone searches on "The Usual Suspects" and you've entered only "Usual Suspects", then your result won't be returned. So, there's a genuine value in standardizing these things.

The system still has a ways to go, but already has over 500 possible errors spread out over more than 150 movies. It also cycles through every title, swapping every two letters to check for any transposition errors. These still only apply to the movies in the actual database, but should nevertheless cover most issues.

Once implemented, a script ran through any users with favorite movies listed and flagged them if there were any title suggestions for them, so you may see a yellow link on the forum home page where our hi-larious forum slogans usually are. If you do, just click on it to see the suggestions. Simply visiting your Edit Favorite Movies page will make the notice go away, as well.

Anyway, that's it. Hopefully the system will be reasonably helpful right off the bat, but of course I do hope to make it smarter and larger over time, as it has many applications.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Thanks,