How much would ads bother you?

Tools    

On the new site, how much would advertisements bother you? I'm working with things now, and there's one basic place I could put some ads, but it would "push" the content a bit lower, and unfortunately, make the site a little less attractive. Please vote! I may be forced to do this anyway, but I want to see what you guys think.

Note: I'm not talking about popup ads or anything really annoying like that...hopefully I'll never use those!

As long as you don't use pop-up ads, seeing ads on the page wouldn't bother me at all.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I don't mind as long as there is like a low amount of ads on a page. Don't want one every other paragraph.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Yeah, definitely not. I'm thinking of at absolute most two banner ads, the size of the big blue one you see above you now...and one of them would be right at the bottom of the page. I will absolutely *not* let ads clutter up the entire site, unless I'm absolutely forced to choose between that, and shutting down the site, which is certainly not the case now...not even close.

Cizool...glad you guys aren't too mad about it or anything. I took a look at the layout with a banner ad there, and it doesn't look too bad...though I do hope I can still find a way to only keep banners at the bottom...though it may not be possible. Site looks even cooler without ads, of course.

Now With Moveable Parts
I voted so-so,because lately I've seen a lot of those moving adds...the car drives around the top of the screen...there's one with this plug wiggeling into an outlet.Those are really distracting,I'd do just about anything to change pages,just to get rid of them...do you know which ones I'm talking about?

I'm not sure...but if you're referring to ads that walk all around the screen and such, then you don't have to worry, because the only kinds of ads I have in mind are ones like the blue one above...same size, maybe animated...but nothing that gets in the way of the rest of the page.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by spdrcr
I meant the ones like between forums, the real tiny ones.

Like, this forum is brought to you by...Mr Sparkle.
Hee-Hee...

Originally posted by TWTCommish
Dunno what you mean...could you post a link or something?
All you have to do is go to http://www.sitepointforums.com

In between areas they have tiny ads.

Oh, you mean the "Proudly Sponsored By..." buttons on the categories? Actually, I kinda like those...they seem like a non-intrusive way of placing ads on the page...seeing as how they take up mostly unused space anyway, as opposed to most other ads, which leave less room for content...or "push it down" lower on the page, for example.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
yeah, i hate ads. a banner up top or on the bottom wouldn't kill me, seeing as how you've got one here already and i rarely ever scroll ALL the way to the bottom just to stare at an ad.

but too many - pushing content down or making it hard to find if placed all over - would drive me nuts and away. that's the truth.

but you sound like the first option, so, i'm koo wif dat.

Now With Moveable Parts
if you're wanna make money off the site TWT...do whatever man,it's not gonna keep me from playin' around here. Do what you want...it's nice you're asking and all...but it wouldn't really change anything...you know how to use them without bugging anyone I'm sure.

I've been looking into that...I'll see what I can do. Right now I could sell some simple stuff, but I want, above all, to find a place that can make high-quality t-shirts with our new logo on them. Unfortunately, it's just too detailed for most. I might start looking around local shops, because I *really* wanna offer MoFo t-shirts, though, so I'll keep looking around.

As it is now, I could probably offer some cheap stuff from CafePress, but I don't know how high in quality it would be, and most of it would be white...so to get the logo on there, I'd have to have a black square on the white, with the logo within. Might look dumb.

Now With Moveable Parts
It would be good advertising.People would see the shirt and ask,"What's that?"then we'd be forced to tell them.I'm always looking for an excuse to tell people about this site...

Well you could always make a seperate logo that would work on a white background.

Or just make the same logo with a white background.

Doesn't really work that way, I'm afraid: it's definitely a 100% black-background logo. I'll keep asking around...but rest assured, barring some complete breakdown of the site, there *WILL* be MoFo tshirts.