Napolean Dynamite

→ in
Tools    

Yeah, people always used to tell me I was weird until my aunt explained to me I was simply unique

Queue the Fight Club quotes (You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake)

My Top 100 favorite movies.

Thanxs for the love in the room..........I will try and be by more often...

great movie

Originally Posted by Mose
...I'm like that annoying song that gets stuck in your head... You just can't get rid of me
Moeee...STANZA!!!

I liked Napolean Dynamite quite a bit...I ain't no hater.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

motivationally deficient
i for one loved ND. and kip is just hilarious. There seemed to be a pattern emerging whenever i watched this film. I watched a few times because my friends hadnt seen it and they all wanted to. But it seemed that those of my friends that have shorter attention spans really didnt last. while i and my other mates laughed our arses off.

The reason people who don't like Napoleon Dynamite don't like it is because subtlety has been destroyed for them entirely by a movie industry hell bent on feeding people a crack-cocaine form of filmmaking/product... they can't get "high" on anything subtle, they've burnt out their receptors for the subtle and sublime.

ND is the essence, if not a new manual, on subtle. Even though throughout the film one could argue that its rudaments are too exaggerated and blatant, that doesn't mean it wasn't subtle. ND had a collision of three factors at once -- lost culture, stagnant culture and no culture. Napoleon himself is like a life-seed of change (heck yes!) into a vaccuous Idaho hellhole of mediocrity and sameness. A lot of people thought this movie was set in the 80s. It's not. The opening DVD titles show Napoleons own school ID for the year 2004-5. Uncle Rico is "stuck" living in '82, psychologically. In fact, the whole town is stuck in the 80s. Napoleon represents the "Angus" (another good film) factor, the deformity in the midst of conformity that, if it fight back and refuses to be absorbed, can actually cause a super-culture to arise. All your wildest dreams will come true... if you vote for Pedro. Which is a vote for Napoleon, a vote for change, a vote for destroying mediocrity from within, by a germ process... however weak and unformed as it may be. However subtle it may be. Once Napoleon invokes the total black funk boogie dance into the bloodstream of this High School rotting away under the effects of "sameness" and status quo, the universe turns upside down and the wildest dreams come true (notice the difference in Deb's appearance at and post-dance). Pedro becomes president, and his eyes tell us his aspirations don't stop there. Uncle Rico gets is girl back. Tina finally gets fed by someone who loves her. Napoleon catches a delicious bass for Deb. Kip merges with LaFawnduh shattering all potential barriers.

I think ND is a lot deeper than people give it credit. People who don't want or like deep won't care anyway, both those who enjoy the analysis of film will see it, even if they aren't particularly enamoured with it as a movie. It's not a "great comedy," its not intended to be.

I doubt if the makers ever imagined people would be laughing to the point of tears over simple phrases like "Luckyyyyyy!" or "Eat your FOOD!" People are reacting to the tone in Napoleons voice more than what he's saying. That tone is something they can resonate with -- dissatisfaction.

Napoleon is utterly, tragically, painfully bored with everyday mundanity, and so are we. His sighs and moans of pain are quite real, and it's what we'd all do if we were as emotionally sound as Napoleon. I argue that ND is a superhero fantasy, where the super hero comes from out of nowhere to revolutionize life for himself and everyone else, with just a few simple modifications to the existing system. Just enough to where some of the happiness being horded by the status quo robots of the system gets more evenly spread around.

I think by and large the people that hate this movie are people who don't realize that what was missing in ND is what they've been spoonfed in every "alternative" film for the past 20 years and are now addicted to, and that's melancholy, defaming of a deity or corruption of innocence or purity, strings of profanity (profanity has its place, of course -- Glenn Gary Glenn Ross/ex), things exploding in 200 foot balls of fire, sick undercurrents of despair without resolution, maniacal vengence and maybe most of all, simple humanity.

There's a scene that sums it all up. Deb, Pedro and Napoleon are standing looking at the dance floor. They form a wall in pale blue light, totally still, against the contrast of the warm reds and yellows and movement of the people dancing. They are utterly cut off, in the darkness, though allowed, permissively, to participate. But they don't really belong there and they know it. And all that is about to change, with Napoleon Dynamite. He is dynamite that is set to go off and knock that wall down, and bring dynamic change.

ND is a masterpiece of filmmaking.
*PS: if you have a home theatre system for good sound, the DVD has excellent sound digitization. The musical parts just rip right out and your subwoofer will bounce like crazy, and yet, not at the expense of normal vocal sections like many DVD dolby implications. VERY impressive effect.

VOTE FOR PEDRO!

I'm getting the impression this film was so subtle it's allowed people to see what they want. Kind of like looking at a blank canvas which would allow you to see whatever you want. And calling the movie a masterpiece has got to be an overkill but to each his/her own.

I'll add that I really enjoyed this movie. Even more so when I smoke a big'ol'blunt wit' da' homies. Booya.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Originally Posted by PimpDaShizzle V2.0
I'm getting the impression this film was so subtle it's allowed people to see what they want.
Yo Pimp. PRECISELY. By no means am I suggesting the filmmakers are supergeniuses who masterminded an epic comedy. I think they just made a simple film about a simple idea and simple people, and most can't deal with that. But many times when artists set out to do something subtle they find they've inadvertently tapped into a very pure stream of subconscious truths, symbolisms and archetypes... it takes on a sort of "Fisher-Price Jungian dialect" we call can speak -- but can't explain.

Absolutely, you can see what you want in it because its a plumbable movie. Sometimes when things are spelled out in sheer rudaments, the higher math of the thing is easier to extract. This movie has NO distractions from that potential.

And yes, smokin' a big spliff helps, too Now go make yersef' a dang Quessa'dilla and feed Tina!

Originally Posted by zebulon1
But many times when artists set out to do something subtle they find they've inadvertently tapped into a very pure stream of subconscious truths, symbolisms and archetypes... it takes on a sort of "Fisher-Price Jungian dialect" we call can speak -- but can't explain.
I see what you're saying and I agree. I found myself filling in backstory and motivation when in fact there was no reason to. It's a movie that means something different to each individual that's willing to play along. To me it was all about friendship.
And yes, smokin' a big spliff helps, too Now go make yersef' a dang Quessa'dilla and feed Tina!
TINA come get your food!

I've watched this one three or four times now, mainly b/c friends haven't seen it yet and demand I put it in... It just keeps getting funnier every time I watch. It's amazing how often we quote this movie at work. Lately we've been using Kip's immortal "You're mom goes to college line"

yea the movie keeps suckin me back in, i saw it by myself first, then with parents, then with brother, then with friend, then wit hfriends parent. And i gets better every time

Messenger from Hades' Gate
The first time I ever saw this movie, I thought it was by far the dumbest, driest, least funny film I had seen in a long time. My room mate, who worships the movie (especially the opening credits), shoved it down my throat just after he moved into my dorm.

However, as he kept playing it over and over again, it got funnier and funnier each time (oddly, I had the same reaction to Oh, Brother Where Art Thou?). So, now I very much enjoy the flick, though I still have the same problem with it now that I did the very 1st time I watched it: I wanted to kill Napoleon!

Let me elaborate on that: Back in high school, I knew a guy who acted JUST LIKE NAPOLEON in that he was arrogant, he was always lashing out at people who made innocent comments to him, and was a social outcast. Now, most people wouldn't have anything to do with this kid, but, as I used to be something of a social outcast myself, had too much pity for the kid to kick him to the curve, and he proceeded to make HS a living hell. Watching Napoleon's behavior reminded me too much of my HS nemisis and made me wish I was meaner person.

film making extraordinaire
Yeah I disliked it initially, but with that scene where napolean dances, awesome, I am starting to warm up to this movie.

Has anyone noticed the intense Mormon imagery and influence in the film? Not only was it made by Mormons, Jon Heder (Napoleon) is a mormon. I missed this entirely in my first 12 or so viewings. But now its very evident. In addition to the spartan environment and super-clean living surrounding Napoleon in this town, and the total lack of dirty words or sex in this movie, you never see anyone drink coffee or cola... only fruit juice and milk. There's never any even slightly risque clothing worn by anyone, even characters where it might work (Lafawnduh, for example). The most 'sexual' part of the movie is Kip and LaFawnduh playing "footsie" under the park bench while sharing a strawberry shake. Napoleon and Deb dance with the required "one whole person between them" distance as required by the church. When Uncle Rico and Kip go out to sell the super-polymer tupperware, they are dressed just like Mormon door-to-door missionaries. At the end, when uncle Rico gets his girl back, she comes riding up on a bike (no less... lots and lots of bikes in this movie) dressed in Mormon missionary attire -- white top, black skirt... likewise, out of the blue, Uncle Rico is wearing a white shirt and black pants, no longer wearing the tacky blue slacks and Lost In Space-style pullover top. Napoleon wears a Tshirt featuring the name of one of the largest Mormon universities in Idaho. I don't know if it's true or not, but someone told me the book of Mormon mentions "ligers" -- a cross between a lion and a tiger. Pedro appears to be the one real outsider in every way; mexican and super-catholic, even suggesting in his speech that the hallways of the school needed 'holy santos' (idols of the saints) to protect them. It's curious that the song Canned Heat by Jamiroquai -- which Napoleon dances to -- is religiously off beat, about a person going to hell...

"I used to put my faith in worship,
I let my chance for heaven slip,
I used to worry about the future,
But then I throw my caution to the wind,
I had no reason to be care free,
No no no, until I took a trip to the other side of town...
I feel the thunder see the lightning,
I know this anger's heaven sent...
Stuck between hell and high water
I need a cure to make it through...
Hey- dancing nothing left for me to do but dance
Off these bad times I'm going through just dance..."

Has anyone noticed the intense Mormon imagery and influence in the film? Not only was it made by Mormons, Jon Heder (Napoleon) is a mormon. I missed this entirely in my first 12 or so viewings. But now its very evident. In addition to the spartan environment and super-clean living surrounding Napoleon in this town, and the total lack of dirty words or sex in this movie, you never see anyone drink coffee or cola... only fruit juice and milk. There's never any even slightly risque clothing worn by anyone, even characters where it might work (Lafawnduh, for example). The most 'sexual' part of the movie is Kip and LaFawnduh playing "footsie" under the park bench while sharing a strawberry shake. Napoleon and Deb dance with the required "one whole person between them" distance as required by the church. When Uncle Rico and Kip go out to sell the super-polymer tupperware, they are dressed just like Mormon door-to-door missionaries. At the end, when uncle Rico gets his girl back, she comes riding up on a bike (no less... lots and lots of bikes in this movie) dressed in Mormon missionary attire -- white top, black skirt... likewise, out of the blue, Uncle Rico is wearing a white shirt and black pants, no longer wearing the tacky blue slacks and Lost In Space-style pullover top. Napoleon wears a Tshirt featuring the name of one of the largest Mormon universities in Idaho. I don't know if it's true or not, but someone told me the book of Mormon mentions "ligers" -- a cross between a lion and a tiger. Pedro appears to be the one real outsider in every way; mexican and super-catholic, even suggesting in his speech that the hallways of the school needed 'holy santos' (idols of the saints) to protect them. It's curious that the song Canned Heat by Jamiroquai -- which Napoleon dances to -- is religiously off beat, about a person going to hell...

"I used to put my faith in worship,
I let my chance for heaven slip,
I used to worry about the future,
But then I throw my caution to the wind,
I had no reason to be care free,
No no no, until I took a trip to the other side of town...
I feel the thunder see the lightning,
I know this anger's heaven sent...
Stuck between hell and high water
I need a cure to make it through...
Hey- dancing nothing left for me to do but dance
Off these bad times I'm going through just dance..."
What about when Uncle Rico is selling breast enlargers? What about Napoleon's fascination with mystical powers? That's a big no-no for mormons. I think you're focusing on the similarities and not looking at the big picture.

Originally Posted by PimpDaShizzle V2.0
What about when Uncle Rico is selling breast enlargers? What about Napoleon's fascination with mystical powers? That's a big no-no for mormons. I think you're focusing on the similarities and not looking at the big picture.
Well, I may be really nuts, but I see Uncle Rico as a wayward sheep... he's 'backslidden'... and at the end, we see him dressed like a Mormon missionary with his girlfriend coming back to him. Mormons aren't perfect, they have a lot of strange holes in their religious culture -- and speaking of mysticism, Mormons are very involved in mysticisms. This is a bunch who believes they are all little 'Jehovah's' in the making and will someday create whole universes and rule over them. I just think there was ample mormon influence in the movie, and from the interviews I've now read with directors and Jon Heder, seems I'm right --- maybe not to the extent I'm speaking about, I might be seeing more than is there, but they say it definitely influenced the movie. This is their life/lifestyle and culture, there's bound to be a lot subsconsciously bleeding through and even they don't realize it.

Well, I may be really nuts, but I see Uncle Rico as a wayward sheep... he's 'backslidden'... and at the end, we see him dressed like a Mormon missionary with his girlfriend coming back to him. Mormons aren't perfect, they have a lot of strange holes in their religious culture -- and speaking of mysticism, Mormons are very involved in mysticisms. This is a bunch who believes they are all little 'Jehovah's' in the making and will someday create whole universes and rule over them. I just think there was ample mormon influence in the movie, and from the interviews I've now read with directors and Jon Heder, seems I'm right --- maybe not to the extent I'm speaking about, I might be seeing more than is there, but they say it definitely influenced the movie. This is their life/lifestyle and culture, there's bound to be a lot subsconsciously bleeding through and even they don't realize it.
I'll just say that you're right before your avatar sends me to hell.

Seriously though, if the creaters were mormon more than likely some of that would indeed come through in their content. Fo' Sho'.

I watched an hour of this movie today. It's funny in a weird way, which I like, but kinda pointless. I'll speak more once I've finished it.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Yesterday I saw I Heart Huckabees which I kind of liked but it got me thinking that there's almost this genre of "Rushmorefilms". I first thought so as well when I started to watch Napoleon Dynamite but I let that go pretty quickly because I don't think the film is trying to be smarter than it really is. And unlike Garden State, for instance, I actually laughed at many of the things that were supposed to be funny. I also liked the characters who, although they're caricatures, aren't that unrealistic. Napoleon actually reminds me a lot of a friend of mine, or to be more precise, he's a mix between a couple of friends of mine (but especially one). At the same time I can understand that people don't like it, just like I didn't care much for Garden State that lots of people just love. I know Holden called it "hollow". I wouldn't say that. Simple in a way, but in a good way, but not hollow.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

I paid 19 bucks for that movie and almost cried after viewing it. For my moula that is.