RoboCop

Tools    

I didn't like the film that much. BUT you can't argue with it's box office and international figures...

Young Skywalker. Missed you, I have...
I am watching the movie as I am typing. It has been good so far and I am about half way through. So far I have given it a 4. Also, I knew Sam Jackson couldn't get through the whole movie without saying M*ther F*cker.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The "practice" fight scene was filmed behind my work.

Anyways, very forgettable with only one cool scene.

Suspect's Reviews

RoboCop (2014)

Ok... rather than doing a full on review or in Last Movie You Saw thread, I'll post in here...
Many interesting set pieces, highly flashy, very stylish.

Pros:
1. Some of the best CGI going.
2. Action scenes are impressive if a little OTT toward the end when Robo comes across a trio of ED-209 Units.
3. Broader range of characters in terms of writing (the US Senate/Government are brought into play) and a few surprises in character traits and fates. Alex's Partner Lewis was a complete waste of time though.
4. The broader angle the filmmakers have put toward the size of the world. The original was Detroit, OCP, the Cops, the Bad Guys and Robo. This one is broad range across the globe and manages to incorporate a pretty good satirical touch when it comes to the USA bringing "freedom" to other countries.
5. Definitely an Origins Story rather than what the original was. The original was an Origins, but was also tightly packed into the running time a Beginning, Middle and End. This one is the beginning and more adventures are bound to show up. Even the DVD Special Features have a 10 second long segment, in a kind of viral advertising form, with a look at the future.

Cons:
1. Unbelievable in terms of content. The way Omnicorp and its Top Dogs react when things start going iffy is especially bad when placed next to the build up and general aura of the rest of the film.
2. Feels like a Propaganda film for "USA USA USA!!". I get that was the satirical side of the writing, but it came off as an actual serious effort at Propaganda rather than the satire.
3. Contrived in the way Alex gets turned into RoboCop. The original had a brutal and random act of violence toward a Cop... this one is more clinical and has to have an explanation.
4. In terms of explanations, they've seen fit to have RoboCop broken down so the audience can see his inner workings. Again, more of the olde "we think the audience needs it laid out on a plate so it's simple for them" kinda writing.
5. Awful ending.
6. Didn't bring anything massively new to the table... Remake? No. Retweak? Absolutely.

All in all... I kinda enjoyed the ride and would say it's actually worth a watch, if even only once.
Kinda enjoyable as long as you switch the brain off (no pun intended) as they tend to give you everything without you having to think anyway.
Still, the Original film kicks its metal ass and throws it in a vat of toxic waste before jamming a Data Spike into its neck, though (pun definitely intended).

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I wanted to enjoy the original RoboCop movie. I really wanted to like it. However, when I watched it. I found myself reminded of some of the eighties science-fiction movies that I bought in a fifty-pack for five-dollars.

They are definitely entertaining, and every once in a while, you might even find one that's particularly good, but there's usually a lot of reason why the film is in a fifty pack for five dollars.

I didn't like the original.

I said it! I thought it was a boring movie with bad-acting and bad dialogue. I didn't find it to be the intelligent and clever movie that I was crossing my fingers for.

I enjoyed the remake a lot more though. It definitely was not the greatest movie that I have ever seen. However, it did make the expected improvements in special-effects, and I thought that Joel did very well in his role. Gary Oldman and Samuel L. Jackson were very enjoyable. The movie had some of the same problems that I thought the last one had, ... I agree, ... the ending was really bad.

However, in-terms of entertainment value, I preferred it.

^ I'm with you. Enjoyed the remake more than the original film.

Feels like a Propaganda film for "USA USA USA!!".

Really? I got the complete opposite, and felt they were taking a dig at it all. Especially with that character played by Samuel L Jackson.

I got that... which is why I said I know it was meant to be part of the satire toward the US Government's way of thinking... but the way they executed it, it didn't feel like satire or a p*ss take, it reads like actual propaganda.
It was just badly executed satire.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I havent seen this yet but I LOVE the original and I doubt this will be up there with the epicness of the original.

I think one thing I really didn't like was the way they used "Dead or alive, you are coming with me"

In the trailer it's shown as though it was going to be used as a catchphrase of sorts.

In the final cut, that iconic line which actually played an important role in the development of the main character remembering his past, was just a hollow and pointless throw away cameo-line at the very end of the film, that had absolutely no real basis for being there in the situation it was in. It was just treated as a random line thrown into the scene at the last minute. Just RoboCop saying it to *name removed to keep spoilers secret*and may as well not have actually been used.

Destruction of something the original fans of the original RoboCop loved so much. And destructed pointlessly.

I refuse to see the remake. Robocop was cool enough as it was. Then again I had a similar situation two years ago when they released the Red Dawn remake. I went into the theater with the intent on hating the movie. They turned out something decent. Not good... but passable and way better then it deserved to be. But a totally unnecessary movie.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
In a perfect world, I would have seen the remake before the original. There is no way I can be objective on the remake. It is not poorly made, I just didn't like. It just came across really sterile with caricature roles that weren't close to making any connection.

It's a shame that the opportunities this materials lends itself to, seem wasted. I can rattle off countless scenes/ images from the original that are still vivid in my mind. The only one I remember from the new one, was the "exposed and stripped" self awareness scene.

I mean, I still have nightmares of an ED-209 chasing me down a stairwell.