JayDee's Movie Musings

→ in
Tools    

Doesn't surprise me...you gave Deep Rising, Charlie's Angels, The Expendables 2 all higher ratings than the more impressive, on all levels, Mad Max.

No longer care to read essay reviews from someone with obviously bad taste.
Maybe the most ludicrous post I've ever read on this forum.

Who does this Wolfdouche think he is? All of his posts in here made me cringe. I've never even heard of him or seen him around here, and then he just jumps in here acting like the most superior human being on earth.

Get the f*ck outta here little whiner and go howl somewhere else. If this is the attitude you bring here you might as well leave this instance. What is the point in coming on a forum and become universally hated right off the bat? Lol seriously...

Wolfsbane and Mr. Sparkle. 2 alternate accounts of someone that I can't for the life of me figure out who.
Whoa, slow your roll. I agreed with him in the first post, but that's it.

Guys gone nutso.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I've still got to catch up on everything that went down over the last few pages but until then I've got a little offering for everyone I disappointed with my rating for Fury Road, particularly for my beloved Miss Vicky (can you ever forgive me?)

As I've done a few times before here are a bunch of alternate posters for the film. In fact this time there are so many I'm going to split them over a couple of posts. I actually had these sitting ready to post before I even saw the film. And I've still got a bunch of Age of Ultron posters that I forgot about

Oh come on! You take digs at films I love all the time and I've no problem with it. I need my darling Victoria back! Well here's the 2nd part of my little apology offering to you

Master of My Domain
You might want to cheer MV up by buying some of her nude pics. Or it could end of pissing her off more, but now that Wolfsbane is gone you have nothing to lose right?

Link to more info: http://www.movieforums.com/community...83#post1339283

Aw you got me all excited Gatsby. I've been trying to get a naked picture out of that woman for ages now!

Thanks Christine. I made them all myself.

How about I get this bad boy back up and running? Would anyone be interested in that?

For several reasons, my ongoing health issues being the predominant one, this thread has lain dormant for some seven months! And even prior to that it had been nowhere near as active in the preceeding year as it had been up until that point. While the actual output has been rather idle over the last year or two I have still been writing on occasion when possible. And even before I stopped regularly uploading the reviews I still had a bit of a backlog to work through. So there's quite a bit of material to reveal, as well as a host of reviews that will see the light of day at some point but which currently reside in a vault.

I've been scouring my computer as I have write-ups scattered across several different documents as well as on a USB stick I believe. A number of them however aren't completely ready; they're missing the plot, trivia or conclusion or were just left unfinished. So I'm going to look around, see what I can come up with and post them when possible. Get the old stuff out of the way, going back to early-mid 2014!!! , and then start fresh of a sort.

One thing I should point out though is that over the last year or two my ratings have become a bit more strict, and perhaps now reside somewhere close to Mark F. It wasn't a conscious decision I made, it just sort of happened. Although given my fanboy admiration for Mark perhaps it was a subconcscious decision to be more like him! A number of the reviews in the archives here would now be rated lower, usually at least half a popcorn bucket lower, sometimes more going back to the early stuff. So some of the really old reviews I'll be posting perhaps aren't on the same rating scale as stuff I've already posted but which is newer (keeping up? ) such as Birdman, Imitation Game and Fury Road. If a film now gets a score above a
then it may come into contention for a place on my top 100 films, certainly a top 150/200. To highlight this, of all the films I've seen that were released since the 1st of January 2014 only a very small handful have received a rating of or above a
. Remove my beloved Marvel films from that list and it's down to just about one I think - Nightcrawler.

Anyway that's enough waffle. I'll be off and see what I can scrape up. Although I do also have another little project I'm considering.

Let's start slowly. First up a little selection of micro musings from way, way back.

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Mark Palansky

Starring
Christina Ricci
James McAvoy
Catherine O'Hara
Richard E. Grant
Peter Dinklage
Reese Witherspoon

Penelope

+

Irresistibly sweet. While there may not be anything particularly special or noteworthy about it, I think that only the coldest of hearts could not be taken in by the warmth of Penelope. Behind the film's narrative is the message of being comfortable in your own skin and how to be happy the only person you need to love you is yourself. The film's message, though one we've seen many a time before, is appealing and one that would be lovely for all of humanity to embrace. Instead of watching the latest episode of Keeping Up With the Kardashians, if more young girls watched this perhaps less of them would grow up to have self-esteem issues. And the eponymous character of Penelope makes for an admirably strong heroine of great pluck. The film certainly has a few wobbles in its narrative, most glaringly in the romance between Ricci and James McAvoy which never really convinces as this epic love story that it seems to think it is. And the introduction of Reese Witherspoon to proceedings doesn't really go anywhere. In terms of its setting there's something rather reminiscent of Amelie about it. Just like that French delight the world inhabited here is a quaint, whimsical, verging on the magical one that lies in a sort of limbo between being real and full-blown fantasy. The film's also got a series of nice and charming performances from the likes of James McAvoy and Peter Dinklage. However it is definitely the lovely Christina Ricci who leads the way with a delightful and sweet performance. The film's only problem for me was that even with her pig nose I thought she was just adorable, so I struggled to understand why anyone wouldn't want her!

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Kim Ji-woon

Starring
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Forest Whitaker
Johnny Knoxville
Jaimie Alexander
Luis Guzman
Peter Stormare

The Last Stand

+

Schwarzenegger is back and he can still kick some ass! He may be a bit older, he may be a bit slower, his one-liner delivery may be a little rusty and his grasp on the English language somehow seems to have gotten worse which I don't really understand; but he's still Arnie! And while it has perhaps faded a little there's still more than a trace of that considerable screen presence that he has always had. And while it may not take its place amongst his best-loved classics I found The Last Stand to still be a good deal of fun. And as long as you go in with the right expectations I imagine that a lot other people will as well. And any fears of it being a watered-down, family friendly action film are quickly dispelled. Following on from the likes of Stallone's Bullet to the Head, this is another pleasingly old-school actioner that spills buckets of blood, and occasionally in quite grisly fashion. Though the film does actually take its time getting going, so much so that I was becoming a little bewildered - “wait, you're trying to set the scene and build characters in a Schwarzenegger film?!!! Bring on the blood!”

Thankfully when the action does arrive it generally delivers in fine style. The last half hour in particular delivers a feverish cacophony of gunplay, vehicular carnage and smash-mouth hand-to-hand combat that results in some memorably trashy deaths. In addition to Arnie the film picked up some bonus points for a couple of its other cast members. The first was Johnny Knoxville. Now perhaps it's because I grew up watching him on Jackass but I've always enjoyed his work as an actor. He may always play a version of himself (Walking Tall, Grand Theft Parsons) but I like him. The other casting bonus is the chance to ogle the sexy as all hell Jaimie Alexander, known to most people as Lady Sif in the Thor films. No one's going to mistake this for high art but I think it was a great amount of fun.

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
James McTeigue

Starring
John Cusack
Alice Eve
Luke Evans
Brendan Gleeson
Oliver Jackson-Cohen

The Raven

Disappointingly drab and lifeless I felt. When I saw the trailers for this a couple of years back I thought it held some promise but just didn't really happen for me. There were a couple of directions the film could have gone in that would have resulted in an entertaining experience, but sadly didn't hit either in my eyes. I certainly didn't think it was good enough to just be enjoyed straight; but at the same time it wasn't rubbish or cheesy enough to move into the territory of camp. It ended up occupying an unsatisfactory middle ground, often taking itself a little too serious for its own good I felt. There was some good stuff here though. The gothic atmosphere I thought was quite well realised in a Tim Burton kind of way although at times I thought it was a bit too murky for its own good, making it tough to comprehend everything that was actually happening. And John Cusasck was able to make for quite a compelling lead in the role of Edgar Alan Poe, giving him quite tragic, haunted quality. No one else amongst the cast was really able to make much of an impact for me though with Alice Eve and Luke Evans both very bland and unengaging. The story struggled to ever really captivate me and the fake CGI blood was really shoddy and took me out of the film. It's just a shame that so much of this film is poor as it wastes a strong performance from Cusack at its heart.