Movie Tab II

Tools    

I only saw that once, but I remember really liking it in an awful way.

Virus
+ - As you may've noticed, I don't really tab anymore, usually because I can't be bothered to form any thoughts on what I watched. However, I've put down Virus before and after watching again I have to say I've changed my mind. I can see why I didn't like this much before, it's because I expected a proper film. A serious thriller about a virus and it's so far from that. This is hokum of the highest level and I don't know why I didn't see before, but I didn't. I don't think it's going to be a film I ever love, but I can see it going a box higher with subsequent viewings. Viewings I intend to make in the future. As for the film, think The Terminator meets Alien set on a ship.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Flowers of Darkness (William Templeton, 1972)

The Corvair in Action (No Director Listed, 1960)

Primrose Path (Gregory La Cava, 1940)

Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (Frank Capra, 1936)

Is Mr Deeds (Gary Cooper) really pixelated?
Some Came Running (Vincente Minnelli, 1958)

Bethlehem (Yuval Adler, 2013)

Critic’s Choice (Don Weis, 1963)

The Tree of Life (Terrence Malick, 2010)
-

Hunter McCracken learns things from his father Brad Pitt, but they mostly appear to be frustration and lack of respect and communication.
Dr. No (Terence Young, 1962)

Frozen (Chris Buck & Jennifer Lee, 2013)

Prince Valiant (Anthony Hickox, 1997)

The Nature of the Beast (Victor Silva, 1995)

Lance Hendrickson and Eric Roberts both seem to be up to no good in the American desert, but who’s responsible for all the violent deaths?
I Sell the Dead (Glenn McQuaid, 2009)

Twelve Hours to Kill (Edward L. Cahn, 1960)
-
Kung Pow: Enter the Fist (Steve Oedekerk, 2002)
-
Get Carter (Mike Hodges, 1971)
-

When his brother dies mysteriously, London gangster Carter (Michael Caine) travels north to Newcastle, carries out his own investigation and seeks a personal-kind of revenge.
Get Carter (Stephen Kay, 2000)

Lord of War (Alex Niccol, 2005)

Peep 'TV' Show (Yutaka Tsuchiya, 2002)

Romancing the Stone (Robert Zemeckis, 1984)

Romance novelist Kathleen Turner comes to Colombia to save her kidnapped sister’s life, and along the way, she and American adventurer Michael Douglas slide down a rainy hill.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Did you always rate Tree of Life
?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I originally gave it
, then saw it again and it seemed closer to
. Then, I saw To the Wonder, and this seemed better now. I guess I need to see Wonder again and his new ones ASAP.

Couple of notes:

I remember thinking Bronson was decent but I was underwhelmed as I expected to love it. As Mark said Hardy is great, but the whole movie is filled with padding to make it fit an hour and a half, they really struggled to get a compelling narrative that matched the larger than life character at the center of it.

Sane: You should watch the feature length Coffee and Cigarettes from Jarmusch. Great film. I watched it recently, some segments are better than others but some of them are really clever/hilarious.

Galaxy Quest

Tim Allen's finest hour and also the best Star Trek movie.

Playtime

I appreciate the concept more than the execution. I feel like this movie would be a lot more enjoyable with a shot for shot breakdown of all the gags and stuff going on, because there were many long stretches where I couldn't see much of anything happening. Things really kick into gear during the restaurant scene though, which is must see cinema.

Inherent Vice

PTA's Big Lebowski is very technically/visually adept,Josh Brolin's a scene stealer, Phoenix is still operating on that high level we saw in The Master, there's also a lot of brilliant cameos. Even still with all this good stuff Vice has going for it, the story is so cliche and worn out that I can barely recommend this even to big Paul Thomas Anderson fans like myself.

Paddington

Much better than the trailer implied. Brief, fresh, and witty.

Mr, Turner

Leigh takes few chances in a film about an artist who took bold ones. Another movie like Inherent Vice that can be appreciated for a lot of reasons, except for the one's that really count.

(watch with subtitles)

Top Five

The funniest thing about this movie is that all the characters talk like Chris Rock.

Cinderella

Cinderella with a surprising lack of any sort of twists or variations on the story. High production values and low creativity.

Jurassic Park

I'm conflicted on Jurassic Park. The movie until the dinosaurs get loose is virtually perfect, but then the non-stop action scenes with the dinos outstay their welcome by 25 minutes.

Playtime

I appreciate the concept more than the execution. I feel like this movie would be a lot more enjoyable with a shot for shot breakdown of all the gags and stuff going on, because there were many long stretches where I couldn't see much of anything happening. Things really kick into gear during the restaurant scene though, which is must see cinema.

When it was released, Tati suffered financially as he refused to let cinemas show it unless they had the capabilities of supporting the 70mm version and had the proper sound system in place. There's so much going on in every frame that it's impossible to get everything, probably even half the gags. Watching it on a small screen doesn't do it justice, but it's still a fascinating experience, it also means I can't wait to watch the film again and again.

Salesman (Albert Maysles, David Maysles & Charlotte Zwerin, 1968)

Moonraker (Lewis Gilbert, 1979)
- (I know Sedai - way too high)
Silk Stockings (Rouben Mamoulian, 1957)
+
High Society (Charles Walters, 1956)

Tabloid photographer Celeste Holm and writer Frank Sinatra show up incognito at a society wedding in a musical remake of The Philadelphia Story.
Through the Devil’s Eyes (RJ Cusyk, 2014)
-
Six by Sondheim (James Lapine, Autumn DeWilde & Todd Haynes, 2013)

Du Barry Was a Lady (Roy Del Ruth, 1943)
+
Kiss Me Kate (George Sidney, 1953)

Ex-husband (Howard Keel) and wife (Kathryn Grayson) do a musical comedy version of The Taming of the Shrew, and he really likes this scene.
A Girl, a Guy, and a Gob (Richard Wallace, 1941)

Octopussy (John Glen, 1983)
+
Blood on the Moon (Robert Wise, 1948)
-
The In-Laws (Arthur Hiller, 1979)

”Serpentine! Serpentine!”
The Half-Breed (Stuart Gilmore, 1952)

Along the Great Divide (Raoul Walsh, 1951)
-
Best of the Badmen (William D. Russell, 1951)

Come and Get It (Howard Hawks, William Wyler & Richard Rosson, 1936)

Wisconsin lumbermen Walter Brennan and Edward Arnold take a shine to barroom singer Frances Farmer and join her in “Aura Lee”.
Hot Lead (Stuart Gilmore, 1951)

Silverado (Lawrence Kasdan, 1985)
+
Target (Stuart Gilmore, 1952)

Po zakonu aka By the Law (Lev Kuleshov, 1926)

Prospecting for gold in the Yukon, a man goes psycho and kills two fellow miners. A husband (Sergey Komerov) and wife (Aleksandra Kochlova) hold him prisoner in the remote ice fields but then decide to put him on trial after the ice melts.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Po zakonu aka By the Law (Lev Kuleshov, 1926)
Kuleshov's wife is overacting in silent cinema, in which acting is overacting by itself. Summing up, she double-overacts!!!

Shadow on the Wall (Pat Jackson, 1950)

Did'ja Know? (David Barclay, 1950)

Cry 'Havoc' (Richard Thorpe, 1943)

A Letter to Three Wives (Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1949)
-

Three wives are worried that the town socialite ran away with one of their husbands – radio playwright Ann Sothern who’s married to school teacher Kirk Douglas, working-girl Linda Darnell who married her boss Paul Douglas and ex-WAVE Jeanne Crain who feels she’ll never fit in with hubby Jeffrey Lynn’s social circle.
Dulcy (S. Sylvan Simon, 1940)

A Wife’s Life (David Barclay, 1950)
-
Chubasco (Allen H. Miner, 1967)
+
The Whales of August (Lindsay Anderson, 1987)

Cantankerous and blind Bette Davis and her kindly sister Lillian Gish have spent the last 50 years summering on the Maine coast, but this one is different in many ways.
Aeronutics (Francis Corby & S.B. Harrison, 1941)

Heat Wave aka The House Across the Lake (Ken Hughes, 1954)

The Judge Steps Out (Boris Ingster, 1947)

The Manitou (William Girdler, 1978)
+

Nonsensical but sorta-fun horror variation on The Exorcist has fake-psychic Tony Curtis mixed up with the rebirth of a Native American shaman (Felix Silla) who seeks revenge on the white man for basically killing off his people.
Phantoms, Inc. (Harold Young, 1945)

The Case of the Lucky Legs (Archie Mayo, 1935)

The Case of the Velvet Claws (William Clemens, 1936)
+
The Shelter (Fernand Melgar, 2015)

It’s pretty much luck which enables one to have a place to sleep, eat and bathe at a Swiss homeless shelter where people have to compete every night for the 50 or so available spaces.
The Case of the Black Cat (William McGann, 1936)
+
The Case of the Stuttering Bishop (William Clemens, 1937)
+
Strictly G.I. (No Director Listed, 1943)

The Blue Gardenia (Fritz Lang, 1953)

Telephone operator Anne Baxter got so plastered on her date with artist Raymond Burr she can't remember if she killed him or not.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
+

I started watching The Manitou earlier today because of Tony Curtis and Michael Ansara, but I turned it off after about a half hour. I didn't know if it was a bad movie, or just not my type of movie, but it looks like I made the right decision.

March 23rd: Cool Hand Luke (1967)

Why didn't you like it haha?

Why didn't you like it haha?

I didn't dislike Cool Hand Luke. I just don't think it's as great as its reviews. It just seemed to be a depressing movie about a guy who starts out getting along okay behind bars, but he eventually becomes a lost cause. I realize that it's supposed to be about a guy who won't conform, but the problem is that the character is too smart for that, so it didn't make a lot of sense.

It's not a question of conformism I think, it's more that he doesn't know what to do with his life, he's bored. He almost encapsules existentialism in the sens that his life doesn't makes any sense, he's just there living.

It's not a question of conformism I think, it's more that he doesn't know what to do with his life, he's bored. He almost encapsules existentialism in the sens that his life doesn't makes any sense, he's just there living.

One drunken night ruined his whole life. He just seemed to smart for that. Plus, it doesn't even make sense that he got a 2-year sentence for vandalizing some parking meters. That seems a bit harsh.

Moonraker (Lewis Gilbert, 1979)
Yes! Probably the most hated installment but ironically one of the most entertaining - at least to me. Love the hunting scene where Bond shoots a would be sniper instead.

Drax
You missed Mr. Bond

Bond
(with raised eyebrow)
Did I?

Couldn't have put it better myself Roger.

+
[size=1]Nonsensical but sorta-fun horror variation on The Exorcist has fake-psychic Tony Curtis mixed up with the rebirth of a Native American shaman (Felix Silla) who seeks revenge on the white man for basically killing off his people.
I have this in my collection and would give it the same score with a couple of extra pluses. Sorta-fun is an understatement. It's so ridiculously awful and dated especially the hospital computer exorcism and Curtis' introductory penchant for disco. I can't imagine how anyone couldn't find it at least mildly entertaining in a brain-dead-afternoon kinda' way.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

Grudge Match (2013)

Saw (2004)

Saw II (2005)

Blades Of Glory (2007)

Mannequin (1987)

Mindhunters (2004)

Wedlock (1991)

Speed (1994)

22 Jump Street (2014)

A Million Ways To Die In The West (2014)

Star Trek: Insurrection (1998)

Boyz N The Hood (1991)

Five Days aka Paid to Kill (Montgomery Tully, 1954)
+
The Camera Caught It (No Director Listed, 1954)

The Gambler and the Lady (Patrick Jenkins, 1952)

Nuts (Martin Ritt, 1987)

A hearing is called to determine if hooker Barbra Streisand is mentally-competent to stand trial for manslaughter. Her court-appointed attorney, Richard Dreyfuss, struggles to learn what’s behind her apparent anti-social behavior.
Life in the Andes (James A. FitzPatrick, 1952)
+
Andy Hardy Gets Spring Fever (W.S. Van Dyke II, 1939)

Wings of Danger aka Dead on Course (Terence Fisher, 1952)

Frost/Nixon (Ron Howard, 2008)

Former President Richard Nixon (Frank Langella) plays mind games with interviewer David Frost (Michael Sheen) beforehand to try to gain the upper hand and come across as Presidential and innocent of wrongdoing.
Operation Dirty Dozen (Ronald Saland, 1967)

Kingdom Come (Doug McHenry, 2001)

Early Spring (Yasujiro Ozu, 1956)

No Way Out (Roger Donaldson, 1987)

In this remake of The Big Clock, naval officer/hero Kevin Costner works at the Pentagon and is having an affair with Sean Young; later, he finds Secretary of Defense Gene Hackman is also her lover, and then when Hackman accidentally kills her, clues incriminating a Russian spy are planted, and Costner leads an investigation to find the killer with the help and interference of Hackman’s General Counsel Will Patton.
The Million Dollar Nickel (No Director Listed, 1952)
-
Spring Reunion (Robert Pirosh, 1957)

2 Days in New York (Juley Delpy, 2012)

Man of La Mancha (Arthur Hiller, 1972)

Knight-errant Don Quixote (Peter O’Toole) and his squire Sancho Panza (James Coco) fight the windmill and the Spanish Inquisition, or is it Quixote's creator, Don Miguel de Cervantes?
Carry on Screaming! (Gerald Thomas, 1966)
+
Finian’s Rainbow (Francis Ford Coppola, 1968)

Lost Horizon (Charles Jarrott, 1973)

Camelot (Joshua Logan, 1967)

The great and virtuous Lancelot (Franco Nero) bows down before King Arthur (Richard Harris) knights him while Queen Guinevere (Vanessa Redgrave) looks on.