Movie Tab II

Tools    

I've not seen it since the early 90's, but I thought you'd like Honey, I Shrunk The Kids a little more than that, mark.

New favorite alert!!! This film is brilliant. It is character driven so immediately I am going to be an easier sell but this movie is also brilliantly written. I can't get enough of the dialogue. The themes are great and they just speak through the characters. I already want to see it again to be sure but I think the dinner scene where Cotten gives the speech about the automobile is my favorite in the film. This movie is very funny, in fact in the first half hour I probably would have called it a straight up comedy. Welles narration is very good and his direction is impeccable. Frame composition, camera angles, shadows, he uses it all and uses them wonderfully. I think the editing is great. A lot of time passes in this film and Welles handles it very well. Never having to tell us a year later, or ten years later. He handles it through the editing and I was never lost. I love this movie, delighted to have a new favorite. There haven't been as many this year as last.

What Tim did here is pretty astounding. The guy is beyond intelligent and extremely focused. I enjoyed watching it but not being a huge painting guy I probably didn't engage with it like some others would. I totally bought into what Tim is selling here but would have liked to see some opposing view points as well. Above average doc and at an hour twenty minutes well worth your time.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Turner & Hooch (Roger Spottiswoode, 1989)

The Reward (Serge Bourguignon, 1965)

Metro (Thomas Carter, 1997)

An Inconvenient Truth (Davis Guggenheim, 2006)

A breakthrough in an open discussion on man's effect on the environment helped Al Gore win the Nobel Peace Prize.
The Task (Alex Orwell, 2011)
+
Everybody Street (Cheryl Dunn, 2013)

Call Me Madam (Walter Lang, 1953)

The Bothersome Man (Jens Lien, 2006)

When Trond Fausa discovers the crack in the wall and enlarges it, the town decides to settle his hash.
Born on the Fourth of July (Oliver Stone, 1989)
-
A Bridge Too Far (Richard Attenborough, 1977)

Alone for Christmas (Joseph J. Lawson, 2013)

The Woodsman (Nicole Kassell, 2004)

Recently released from prison, pedophile Kevin Bacon gets a job but spends most of his time thinking about his obsession with little girls – here he’s talking with 11-year-old Hannah Pilkes.
Captain from Castile (Henry King, 1947)

Maidentrip (Jillian Schlesinger, 2014)

The Three Musketeers (Allan Dwan, 1939)

Nostalgia for the Light (Patricio Guzmán, 2010)

Poetic reflections on the profound connections of lost lives under the Pinochet Regime in Chile and the enormity of the universe as seen from that country's Atacama Desert.
Teen Wolf (Rod Daniel, 1985)
-
Speed 2: Cruise Control (Jan de Bont, 1997)

Kung Fury (David Sandberg, 2015)

Ruthless People (ZAZ, 1986)
-

Danny DeVito is a scumbag millionaire clothier who wants to get rid of his wife (Bette Midler) and is only too happy when a young couple (Judge Reinhold & Helen Slater) he stole ideas from kidnap her.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
The Death of Superman Lives: What Happened? - Awkwardly titled but fascinating documentary about the ill fated Tim Burton/Nic Cage film "Superman Lives." The film shows concept art, costume tests, and talks to all the major players in the debacle, and tries to find out why the man of steel never took flight back in 1998. There's a lot of funny stuff in this, from absolutely bonkers producer Jon Peters (who regularly abused his employees, physically) to some questionable design choices, and a whole staff of people who were familiar with Superman, but didn't actually like the character. $140 million was spent on a movie with not even a single frame of film to show for it. I wish the documentary were a bit longer and more in depth, Kevin Smith's memories of writing the initial script are a hoot (giant spiders, polar bears, gay robot sidekicks)...

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

New favorite alert!!! This film is brilliant. It is character driven so immediately I am going to be an easier sell but this movie is also brilliantly written. I can't get enough of the dialogue. The themes are great and they just speak through the characters. I already want to see it again to be sure but I think the dinner scene where Cotten gives the speech about the automobile is my favorite in the film. This movie is very funny, in fact in the first half hour I probably would have called it a straight up comedy. Welles narration is very good and his direction is impeccable. Frame composition, camera angles, shadows, he uses it all and uses them wonderfully. I think the editing is great. A lot of time passes in this film and Welles handles it very well. Never having to tell us a year later, or ten years later. He handles it through the editing and I was never lost. I love this movie, delighted to have a new favorite. There haven't been as many this year as last.
I've been avoiding this film for a long time now, because of the fact that the ending was changed by the studio, but as you seem to like it fine, I might finally give it a go this weekend. The end result is probably still great.

I've been avoiding this film for a long time now, because of the fact that the ending was changed by the studio, but as you seem to like it fine, I might finally give it a go this weekend. The end result is probably still great.
I never knew that. I am sure there is a more dour ending that could make it more tragic. I think the ending fits with the tone though. I will be surprised if it ruins the film for you , it is fantastic. Needs a blu ray transfer. The aspect ratio sucks but it is still beautiful to look at. Let me know if you watch it Cob. You and Citizen are the two MoFos I was hoping would weigh in after I watched it.

Yeah, everyone seems to still think it's a masterpiece. I actually watched about half an hour of it ages ago, I was enjoying it but had to switch it off for some unrelated reason and never got back to it even though I think it'll be great, I'll probably watch it soon.

Orson Welles was never happy with it, disheartened because they cut out an hour from his original cut. He was in Brazil trying to film his documentary that later became It's All True, so basically the studio recut and in some instances, refilmed scenes which went against Welles' specific wishes. It caused a huge rift between Welles and editor Robert Wise. Looking at it today, it's a good movie with a truncated story arc, but it was the beginning of all the problems Welles would have the rest of his life concerning control of his pictures.

Have you read this? The trailer at the bottom has some brief missing footage.
Thanks Mark. How do you feel about Ambersons? Nothing I have read makes me feel like it is less of a movie than the one I viewed.

Surprised I haven't seen this one long ago on TV somewhere. I like boxing docs and this is probably the best ever. All the footage is amazing. Whatever you think about Ali's politics, he is an entertaining character and makes a doc like this extremely watchable. I have always loved Foreman, but his personality at this point in his career would not have carried an hour and a half. However, probably the part of the doc that will stick with me the most is Foreman hitting the heavy bag. Man oh man was he a powerful specimen. I really enjoyed this. Will be surprised if it is not on my doc list.

Love Chronicles (Tyler Maddox-Simms, 2003)
+
A Time to Kill (Joel Schumacher, 1996)

Superstar (Bruce McCulloch, 1999)
+
Champagne for Caesar (Richard B. Whorf, 1950)

Happy Hogan (Art Linkletter) is the host of TV/radio game show “Masquerade for Money”, sponsored by wacko soap tycoon Burnbridge Waters (Vincent Price), whose bane of existence is super genius Beauregard Bottomley (Ronald Colman) who seems to be able to answer any question.
The Karate Dog (Bob Clark, 2005)

The Phantom Tollbooth (Chuck Jones, Abe Levitow & Dave Monahan, 1970)

Boy Meets Girl (Leos Carax, 1984)

Mask (Peter Bogdanovich, 1985)

Mom Rusty Dennis(Cher) enrolls her son Rocky (Eric Stoltz) into a new high school over objections from the principal who wrongly believes his deformity causes a learning disability; in truth, Rocky is smart and well-adjusted.
Desk Set (Walter Lang, 1957)
-
Amalfi Way (Richard Wright, 1955)

Croczilla (Li Sheng Lin, 2012)

Dick Tracy (Warren Beatty, 1990)

Police detective Dick Tracy (Warren Beatty) takes out a color-coordinated gang of crooks.
One Million Years B.C. (Don Chaffey, 1966)

The Big Gundown (Sergio Solima, 1966)

Ghost Rider (Mark Steven Johnson, 2007)

Sitting Pretty (Walter Lang, 1948)

Live-in babysitter Mr. Belvedere (Clifton Webb) gives his youngest charge an object lesson when he consistently plays with his food.
Grabbers (Jon Wright, 2012)

Another You (Maurice Phillips, 1991)

Brigham Young (Henry Hathaway, 1940)

The Secret of NIMH (Don Bluth, 1982)

Mrs. Brisby (voice of Elizabeth Hartman), a field mouse, goes through a fantastical adventure to save her son and other animals and learn the truth of what happened to her husband.

Terminator Genisys (Alan Taylor, 2015)
- Wasn't as bad as people claimed/thought it would be. The story line and premise was intriguing and there were a few memorable moments, but all in all it could have been just a wee bit better. The ending part where
WARNING: "Terminator: Genisys" spoilers below
Arnold's older T-800 character got an 'upgrade'
was kind of silly.

Home Alone
(Chris Columbus, 1990)
- Still one of the best holiday movies ever put out there. I watch this every holiday season and it gets more enjoyable. Even after a quarter of a century. It has a perfect mix of humor and the right touch of emotion...that I always seem to get teary eyed over. A must see holiday classic.

Planes, Trains & Automobiles (John Hughes, 1987)
+
The Night Before (Jonathan Levine, 2015)

The Nutcracker (Tony Charmoli, 1977)

Kate & Leopold (James Mangold, 2001)

Victor Frankenstein (Paul McGuigan, 2015)
-
I.Q. (Fred Schepisi, 1994)
+
I'll Be Home For Christmas (Arlene Sanford, 1998)

Top Gun (Tony Scott, 1986)

Holidaze (Jerry Ciccoritti, 2013)
(generous)

Cake (2014)

Desperate Living (1977)

Farewell, My Lovely (1975)

Orpheus (1950)

Alice's Restaurant (1969)
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...