Kevin Smith (new age master or newest Disaster)

Tools    

I have only seen Chasing Amy and Dogma but I think Kevin Smith is on his way up with his outstandin writing and understanding of human emotion.

If you liked those you really need to see Clerks its probably the best or tied with Chasing Amy. He is certainly one of the best out there today.

I think Chasing Amy is his best, without a doubt. Clerks is a good film, Mallrats is a disaster with good writing, and Dogma's very good.

Chasing Amy is the best because alongside the wonderful dialogue and writing, real emotions and poignancy peek through. It's, in my opinion, one of the seminal movies of the 1990s.

I only saw one of this films: Dogma. I wasn't impressed. Very funny here and there, but not particularly clever or witty in my opinion. Perhaps it wasn't a good indictator of what he can do, but based on that ALONE, I'm not impressed with Smith.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I've seen Clerks(own it even), Dogma, Chasing Amy, and I'm not brave enough to sit through Mallrats, but Clerks is very funny in the fact that this is real. I mean a lot of movies anymore don't have a backbone and are afraid of offending someone. Smith just plain outright tells ya. Compare any of Smith's movies minus Mallrats to any 4 star movie and you'll see a lot of differences. People are more fake in a movie that paid its stars 10 million for a 15 minute part. Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe I'm not, but Smith is a good director and his last movie Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back will be the end of his directing, which sucks, but nobody caught on in time.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back won't be the last of his directing, it will just be the last of his writing and directing movies taking place is this VIew Askew Universe that he's created. He's set to write and direct the new Fletch movie next.

spdrcr what do you mean that nobody caught on in time? Everyone I know has seen all of Kevin's movies and loves them. In all reality he is big-time when it comes to popularity, he just doesn't have a big-time budget in his movies(except for Dogma which I'm sure cost a pretty penny).

Thanks. LOL!!!! I'm dying of laughter

Guy
I don't like him because he insulted the superior P.T.A!

Dogma was okay though.

He insulted P.T.?? I definitely like P.T. better, but Smith is definitely the pre-emminently witty writer of his generation. While I haven't seen MALLRATS, I enjoyed his other three immensely, CHASING AMY being the best film and DOGMA the best script. And on the contrary, TWT, DOGMA is full of insightfully clever witticisms about the Catholic faith and religious practices in general - but you must be pretty versed in the doctrine to begin with to get all the subtle jokes.

It's a satire, and as all satires tend to do, it was dissed and hissed at, and protested by blind Catholic followers everywhere (and I feel like I can speak candidly on this subject, being born and bred a Catholic myself....)

Smith is a fantastic writer - clever, insightful, and ultimately moving in his satire. As for his directing, it's very plain and straightforward - relying on the dialogue and the performances to carry the piece. While I generally tend to prefer films with a little more stylistic cinematography (like P.T.'s equally pleasing aesthestics and writing), I think that this style suits the films, and gives them a more realistic quality.

I feel that Kevin Smith is the better film maker. That is better than P.T. Anderson. I mean Boogie Nights was great, and Magnolia was very good. Really though how much crying and yelling do I need to see.

Kevin Smith is a good writer, and a decent director, but I think it was coded into P.T.'s DNA. Anderson's films are so damn, what's the word, cinematic. Smith, for me, is an excellent writer of dialogue, and certainly original, but the emotions in his films are nowhere near as raw and powerful as the ones in P.T.'s. I can only imagine what Anderson is going to accomplish when he gets older. Seriously, I think he's at the top out of the "new" 90's directors. Smith hasn't made a 'great' film yet, while Anderson's made two, Magnolia being his masterpiece.

Smith writes some wicked dialogue, but I think Tarantino's is the best of that "generation". So many movies only use words to move the plot forward, but Tarantino's are about something, and people don't get that. The dialogue in Pulp Fiction, for example, is brilliant because it provides the structure of the movie. Everything is circular, the time frames, the characters, and the coincidences all tie back to the dialogue, and around and around some more. All of the imitated just shows hitmen talking about pop culture, basically saying words that have nothing to do with anything.

I think Dogma's a terrific and sometimes brilliant movie, but knowledge of the Catholic faith is a must for some of the jokes.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Originally posted by Zweeedorf
I feel that Kevin Smith is the better film maker. That is better than P.T. Anderson. I mean Boogie Nights was great, and Magnolia was very good. Really though how much crying and yelling do I need to see.
Didn't Anderson also direct the epic Mortal Kombat!!

But anyways, I rather enjoy Smith's films. They are all very, very funny. I sometimes feel people don't really talk like they are scripted in the movie, but still, I've never disliked one of his movies! I'd love to head over to their store in N.J. at sometime.

P.T.'s only directed three movies, Hard Eight, Boogie Nights, and Magnolia.

Welcome back, Petey boy!

It really sucks that Kevin had to voice his opinions on P.T. Anderson and "Magnolia". I love both of these guys and their films, and I couldn't choose between them. Kevin blasted "Magnolia" in his new film "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back", and I hope Anderson responds and blasts Kevin in his next film. I understand that Kevin and Anderson are somewhat friends now, but Anderson should retaliate in his next movie, if only to make a statement.

I love both directors.
Well, I like Smith and love Anderson.
SOmebody said Anderson had two great movies?
I assume the second was Boogie Nights, but lets be honest Hard Eight was way better than Boogie Nights. Seriously.
PT Anderson is a filmmaker who will go down in history for making great movies.
Kevin Smith will be remembered by people like us, between the ages of 18-25ish for being pretty damn funny.
That's the difference.

How did Smith "blast" Magnolia in the film? By having one of the people who badmouths Jay and Silent Bob on the Internet go by the handle "Magnolia Fan"? If that's blasting, then he most certainly blasted his own movies far worse.

The thing is that Smith had an opinion (like everybody) on Magnolia. He was disappointed in it because he had higher hopes after liking "Boogie Nights" so much. And he expressed his opinion on the movie. Does that mean he hates PTA? No. Does that mean he even hates "Magnolia"? No. He's repeated said otherwise. He expressed an opinion on a movie that he didn't like as much as he wanted to. Then it gets blown out of proportion by fans of either of the two directors. I doubt PTA really cares (and I can't imagine that he'd be offended by the off-hand Magnolia fan comment in J&SBSB), especially not enough to "retaliate".