Best Fight Scene

Tools    

I will never forget the attack of the motel in Drive. Even better than the elevator fight imho.

Ok, let's bump it with another couple of picks.

Jack Reacher's bathroom fight.

Let it not be said that I only like fights in confined spaces. My last pick is the final shootout in True Grit

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Off the top of my head (and cheating a bit by scrolling through the thread for "oh yeah!" reminders):
1. The first shot in the final "fight" scene in Free Range.
2. The fight between Neo and Morpheous in the original Matrix---mostly because that was such a "wah-uuuuht!?" scene.
3. Croughing Tiger, Hidden Dragon. The. Entire. Movie.
4. The final sequence (what, 20 minutes or so?) of 13 Assassins.
5. Club scene from John Wick (agreed!). In that line, also most any fight in the Equalizer.

There are three more on the tip of my tongue, but I can't place them for some reason. They will return. Oh yes, they will ...return.

3. Croughing Tiger, Hidden Dragon. The. Entire. Movie.
I like the first big fight in that between Li Mu Bai and Jade Fox. I particularly remember the bit with the ribbon.

also most any fight in the Equalizer.
Nice to find another fan of The Equalizer. The fight in the restaurant is great and hopefully they can build on that kind of thing in the sequel.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I like the first big fight in that between Li Mu Bai and Jade Fox. I particularly remember the bit with the ribbon.

Nice to find another fan of The Equalizer. The fight in the restaurant is great and hopefully they can build on that kind of thing in the sequel.
I think it was the contrast in The Equalizer that really attracted me. McCall's deliberate and calculated (slow?) single-motion counters and attacks really stood out against the perceived speed of any given action shot. That contrast really helped to highlight his character's force.

I absolutely hate trying to watch an elaborately staged fight sequence only to have the shot so tight on the action that all the set-up and responses are more or less cropped out of awareness. Or what is worse, to be so close to the action and then throw in a machine gun sequence of cuts, zooms, and shakes without much in the way of directional continuity. Both Batman Begins and The Bourne Supremacy suffer from this (IMO) and are difficult for me to watch.

I think it was the contrast in The Equalizer that really attracted me. McCall's deliberate and calculated (slow?) single-motion counters and attacks really stood out against the perceived speed of any given action shot. That contrast really helped to highlight his character's force.
Yeah, the slowness and measured approach of McCall is emphasized, like when he's aiming the gun, which seems to take ages . It's a very odd thing, to see such a remote reaction to violence – actually reminds me of Lecter killing the guards in Silence of the Lambs, where they say his heartbeat stayed normal throughout. I like Denzel Washington's acting a lot during the scene as well. There's a lot going on in his face all the time, revealing the character.

I absolutely hate trying to watch an elaborately staged fight sequence only to have the shot so tight on the action that all the set-up and responses are more or less cropped out of awareness. Or what is worse, to be so close to the action and then throw in a machine gun sequence of cuts, zooms, and shakes without much in the way of directional continuity. Both Batman Begins and The Bourne Supremacy suffer from this (IMO) and are difficult for me to watch.
The best example of that cropping, too tightly framed problem I can remember is The Phantom Menace. That was really offputting.

The fight in the gym with Bud Spencer and Terence Hill in "Watch Out, We're Mad". The funniest thing you'll ever see.

And, "Wheels on Meals" between Jackie Chan and Benny Urquidez. Phenomenal!

The Turkish Bath scene from Eastern Promises is intense. As far as choreography goes, it's either any of various Asian martial arts flicks or John Wick which resembled actual combat better than almost anything I've seen. I watched Bloodsport about a million times when I was younger so the blind crescent kick stuff is pure poetry to me. Jackie Chan has a huge collection of impressive stuff where he plays with the environment and super precise execution.

Wes Anderson actually executes his physical conflicts in creative ways. Underrated aspect of his pictures imo.

There are many way a fight scene can be "best". Best choreography, best photography, or simply best skills.

I choose the 2 following fight scenes for its best cinematic:

- Asian fight: Jet Li vs. Donnie Yen - Chess Courtyard fight in Hero
youtube.com/watch?v=AeeoEpmyb2Y (I can't post link yet)
It's the fight of 2 real kungfu master actors, and they knew what they were doing. Every move is very kungfu-ish and artistic. Together with the ancient music, the sound of rain drops on sword and chessboard, It's almost zen.

- Western fight: Obi Wan & Qui Gon Ginn Vs Darth Maul
it's not the best choreography for a fight, but man the scene is badass!
The music of John Williams is nothing short of epic, and that scene just gives me goosebump every time. The only good thing in Phantom.

For best fun fight, agree with Drunken Master fight posted by Blix. Nothing beats drunken kungfu for fun watching.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Hmmm I'd have to wrack my brain for this one but off the top of my head, anything with my darling Bruce Lee
Mads Mikkelsen and Laurence Fishburn in Hannibal. The final fight scene in Hannibal.
I had one other but it's goneski.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
the ones on IP-Man movies and HERO. Gorgeous to look at.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Jean-Claude Van Damme vs. Ron Pohnel (a former protege of Chuck Norris turned pastor) in No Retreat, No Surrender

- Western fight: Obi Wan & Qui Gon Ginn Vs Darth Maul
it's not the best choreography for a fight, but man the scene is badass!
The music of John Williams is nothing short of epic, and that scene just gives me goosebump every time. The only good thing in Phantom.
I liked Qui-Gon Jinn vs Darth Maul in the desert. Shame there wasn't a bit more to it, but it's good and the music makes it very evocative of a Thirties serial.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
Taekwondo champion Zhang Lanxin vs. Xtreme Martial Arts champion Caitlin Dechelle in Chinese Zodiac

Donnie Yen vs. Mak Wai-Cheung in Legend of the Wolf aka New Big Boss

The late Darren Shahlavi vs. Ken Kensei in Bloodmoon