Politically Correct IDIOTS (Steve Martin/Carrie Fisher tweet)

Tools    

Well then, quality of life might just be determined by how many white folks remain in a given country or neighbourhood.
Sounding a little bitter there MM, like you hate paying for another races healthcare type bitter. Oh thats right, youre Canadian, I forgot.

This is not just exclusive to white people. Like I said in the OP, this is an American thing. You think a European would have been insulted by that tweet? I dont. Compared to the United States theres simply not enough distractions for a European compared to an American. We have so much available to us that we think it means we know more and can deal with more and life simply does not work that way.

Kinda like what Robin Williams character said to Will Hunting (Matt Damon) in Good Will Hunting. We might know about alot, but arent experienced in anything. We believe we are though. We have become softer emotionally and know just enough to get us in trouble, in regards to what is and isnt offensive.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Personally, I like the odds a simple correlation offers. For me, there is no need to look for that rare exception to the rule. Looks like PC whining and white shaming are here to punish our wealthy at every opportunity.

That's not what that means. Saying something is merely correlated doesn't mean "this is usually true, but there are exceptions." It means that the first thing does not cause the other.

This isn't a PC concept in the slightest: it's a statistical one, and failing to make this distinction leads to all sorts of hilariously nonsensical conclusions.

We might know about alot, but arent experienced in anything. We believe we are though. We have become softer emotionally and know just enough to get us in trouble, in regards to what is and isnt offensive.
I was with you until you started using 'we' as if being an American somehow makes one naive or soft.

Broad generalizations are bad (yes I see the irony in that statement).

How can you know what other individuals have experienced, and then decide that whatever it is, it's not the equivalent of something experienced in another country?

I would agree with your assessment if you applied it to a relatively small group of loud people (since you said 'we' you can include yourself, but exclude me).

I'm actually kinda proud of Steve Martin, I think this shows a lot of virtue.

It's possible I'm reading his intentions wrong, but I think he deleted the tweet because it was a proving a distraction from Carrie. I think that says a lot because he'd easily get more people to side with him on this one (other things he's said, not so much, but this one would have been easy).

But, he deleted the tweet. It didn't matter that he was right, that most people would think he was right, and that he's mourning a friend; he didn't want to distract from Carrie.

I honestly never really thought about Carrie much outside of Star Wars, I'm not going to claim that I was some sort of huge fan. But for some reason it's really bugging me that she's being used as a cudgel in the internet culture wars.

Anyway, good on Steve. At least I think so, there might be too much pressure on him to talk about it for him to keep bowing out as gracefully as he's done so far, we'll see.

Damn, you guys already made all the really good points! I have nothing left to say So I have to reiterate:

There's nothing wrong with the title of this thread when taken in the context that it was meant...The magazine and others who complained about Steve Martin's tweet are twits

I do feel sorry for Steve Martin, he's a real person who just had a well known magazine very publicly criticize him for his tweet. I'm sure this very moment he feels frustrated over the situation, I sure would.

Originally Posted by TONGO
We might know about alot, but arent experienced in anything. We believe we are though. We have become softer emotionally and know just enough to get us in trouble, in regards to what is and isnt offensive.
I was with you until you started using 'we' as if being an American somehow makes one naive or soft.

How can you know what other individuals have experienced, and then decide that whatever it is, it's not the equivalent of something experienced in another country?

I would agree with your assessment if you applied it to a relatively small group of loud people (since you said 'we' you can include yourself, but exclude me).
I can't speak for Tongo, but I bet anything that he used the word we in an attempt not to offend any one group. Call it a kind generalization.

That's not what that means. Saying something is merely correlated doesn't mean "this is usually true, but there are exceptions." It means that the first thing does not cause the other.

This isn't a PC concept in the slightest: it's a statistical one, and failing to make this distinction leads to all sorts of hilariously nonsensical conclusions.

What I said was short and straightforward, two things that are the polar opposite of "rambling."

But if you want to stick with your "simple correlation," go for it. Just understand that it also leads you to the conclusion that eating more cheese increases your odds of being strangled by your own sheets (not a joke, it's in the link I posted).

i don't want to be too pc, but movie max is literally making an argument for white supremacy itt.
criticker

Sounding a little bitter there MM, like you hate paying for another races healthcare type bitter. Oh thats right, youre Canadian, I forgot.
I'll be your Buttercup, if you'll be my Prince Humperdinck.

I can't even be mean to you, after the November and December you've had. You have my sympathies. Hope you find better fortunes on the horizon, soon.

Ok. I purposefully used "we", which would include myself too, and not focus on any group. Not single out anyone because that doesnt communicate well, moreso by being specific who or what group, I would just piss off the people I want to reach.

The "We" is figurative, and not literal. Im trying to be smoother after the 2016 presidential campaign. Its hard when youre outraged or disgusted though, but to be specific Ive always been talking about the Social Justice Warriors.

I can't speak for Tongo, but I bet anything that he used the word we in an attempt not to offend any one group. Call it a kind generalization.
Correct

regarding the steve martin thing, was the backlash against his tweet even that strong? it seems that many of these things start with a few people overreacting and calling it offensive on twitter and then people who love to complain about "political correctness gone mad" find those tweets and use them as proof, so then pretty soon it gets reported on and everybody knows about it, even though every take at that point is just "i don't see what's so bad about it," and the only people who still care just wanna rant about the SJWs. i think the tweet was obviously well-intentioned but just a bit clumsily-phrased so her intelligence became an afterthought. not a big deal at all, but i'm not convinced many people really cared in the first place. every person i know who is typically sympathetic to social justice causes didn't think it was a big deal. you're judging the social justice movement on its most radical and loony members, which makes every cause look bad.

i don't want to be too pc, but movie max is literally making an argument for white supremacy itt.
More like questioning why "white society" seems to be the flock to thing, when it is obviously so bad, so politically incorrect, so reprehensible, that it must be lectured at every petty opportunity? Maybe, us simple white folks could learn from a more accepting, tolerant, charitable, politically correct example of society? Please share one, especially if it is a non-white example.

I'll be your Buttercup, if you'll be my Prince Humperdinck.

I can't even be mean to you, after the November and December you've had. You have my sympathies. Hope you find better fortunes on the horizon, soon.
Uh....I dont want you as my Buttercup Sorry Max, thanks for the compliment, but Im straight.

Well come on Max! Youre a Canadian looking-in on the social turmoil which is the U.S., have "we" become a bunch of well intentioned, oversensitive, and easily misled bunch of Ninny's? Yes or No?

The thread title is raw intentionally. I post to be heard, not to be repped. Though thanks to everyone that did rep the o.p.. It may be my most repped post in like.....ever.

regarding the steve martin thing, was the backlash against his tweet even that strong?
New York Magazine criticized Steve Martin's tweet, and US Weekly did too. I'd say that's not just a couple of ****it was funny what I had wrote here!*** giving a celebrity a bad time.
social justice causes didn't think it was a big deal. you're judging the social justice movement on its most radical and loony members, which makes every cause look bad.
Interesting topic, what social causes do SJW fight for?

regarding the steve martin thing, was the backlash against his tweet even that strong? it seems that many of these things start with a few people overreacting and calling it offensive on twitter and then people who love to complain about "political correctness gone mad" find those tweets and use them as proof, so then pretty soon it gets reported on and everybody knows about it, even though every take at that point is just "i don't see what's so bad about it," and the only people who still care just wanna rant about the SJWs. i think the tweet was obviously well-intentioned but just a bit clumsily-phrased so her intelligence became an afterthought. not a big deal at all, but i'm not convinced many people really cared in the first place. every person i know who is typically sympathetic to social justice causes didn't think it was a big deal. you're judging the social justice movement on its most radical and loony members, which makes every cause look bad.
I'm actually more upset that the original post was removed. Though, I do see it as another example of how the picked on white guy is able to yield and pacify a non-situation.

No it got to be more than a small group of loonies as US Weekly, and New York Magazine helped stoke the flames. The news and media are as effected by this as normal citizens, there is now more "fake news", and theres enough of a ignorant public reaction to things that we are starting to look like rabble rather than a society.

Yes its specific groups or types, but theres enough of them to where I say we all got to chill out, and not be so judgemental. Yes Im being judgemental on the judgemental, but what can you do?