TONGO Reviews Everything

→ in
Tools    

I actually rather like simple black costume, even if it makes him look more like Iron Fist than Daredevil haha.

I definitely think the intensity D'onofrio brings to the role (particularly when he loses his temper) more than makes up for his size. Kingpin in the comics was just so ridiculously large that I don't think they would've been able to find a decent actor with a similar build anyway.

Does the ending deliver? Mmm, yeah, but fair warning, the last round of the fight is sooooo Hollywood. Thats what Grudge Match is though, a "Hollywood" movie. The Hollywood formula of 2 great known actors, a theme everyones enjoyed countless times, no creative ground broke whatsoever, and Grudge Match delivers. It was a good low-brow movie I was thoroughly entertained by.

I really liked Grudge Match too...I have to admit that I liked Stallone a lot more than you did, as a matter of fact I thought he was the best thing about this movie, but agreed he was better in Creed. But you're right about one thing, the movie definitely has star power. I have a review on my review thread if you care.

I really liked Grudge Match too...I have to admit that I liked Stallone a lot more than you did, as a matter of fact I thought he was the best thing about this movie, but agreed he was better in Creed. But you're right about one thing, the movie definitely has star power. I have a review on my review thread if you care.
What I like about big star b-rated movies is not just the star acting all relaxed and confident, but that all the actors surrounding him/them are working their asses off knowing they dont want to be shown up, and to be noticed. Even Kim Bassinger was doing a good job for them.

Back to DD. Im on the Episode where they introduce Stick - Scott Glenn. GREAT CHOICE! I do not exaggerate in the slightest when I say they need to use the casting agent for Daredevil on all these DC superhero movies. Im starting to lighten up to the guy playing Foggy now, but hes ....well he acts funny, but isnt, yknow? Doesnt really draw you to a character.

Oh man Scott Glenn is just killing it playing the part of Stick! He should have gotten a best supporting nod for this performance.

Im starting to lighten up to the guy playing Foggy now, but hes ....well he acts funny, but isnt, yknow? Doesnt really draw you to a character.
On his own I'm not a fan, but I do like his chemistry with Charlie Cox. I don't remember which episodes they're in, but the flashbacks to their university days really made me like him. I'd totally watch a show that was just Matt and Foggy being law student bros.

I just finished the "Kingpin Origin" 8th episode, season 1. This is such a storytellers series. Action is hardly the draw, and they dont force any if its not needed. Ive never seen a superhero tv series done with this much patience, and seemless flow, never.

Of course Im all hot to trot to see some classic villains, and btw, I am used to the black mask outfit too CR. I think now the red garb would come off campy. Meh, what can you do.

Liked the brief appearance of Potter, the tailor. He will pop in again Im sure. That could be a great episode.

I never needed any convincing because I rather love the show, but you're making me really want to rewatch season one of Daredevil right now haha. I agree that the story is definitely the main draw, but when it does have action scenes, those are done just as well as the character-driven sections and are equally as memorable. What I like most though, is that you don't need to be a fan of Daredevil to enjoy the show.

I didn't really care for the him in the comics I read, and the Affleck movie actively turned me against the whole concept of Daredevil, but I loved DeKnight's take on it and think the show is brilliant. My room mate, who is a huge fan of Daredevil as a character (and even rather likes the Director's Cut of the movie), also absolutely fell in love with the show. I think that appeal to both the fans and to general audiences is something all film makers and showrunners should take note of, regardless as to what medium they're adapting from: be it another comic, a novel, or a sequel or remake to an existing film or tv series.

Basically what I'm saying is that I wish more things were like Daredevil haha.

Finished the episode where he fights Nobu. They made up for little action in the last episode with this one. Love the fight choregraphy. When they do bring it, its definitely brought.

AGH! I only posted an hour ago......must post more!!

Charlie Cox is the lead in Daredevil. Im watching season 1 episode 9 where I see theyll be talking about Matt & Foggys backstory. Watching this it finally hit me where I saw Charlie Cox before - Boardwalk Empire! He played Owen.

I thought he was gold in Boardwalk, and being an englishman trained from the stage I can see now how he effortlessly talks with an american dialect. Us westerners, we must be pretty simple to duplicate.

When I first gave this 5 stars I was worried Id regret it as I watched on, but if Id given it 3.5 or 4 stars, by now I would have gone back and changed it to 5. Trust me MoFos, watch this show.

This is a picture of the true stars of Civil War.....

...directors Anthony & Joe Russo. These two told an intricate superhero tale which 99% of the time transfers into a jumbled mess onscreen (X-Men 3, all Fantastic Fours), and they made it look easy. This is not a Captain America movie as much an Avengers movie. Thats a good thing because they kept the story first, and the original Civil War storyline was told in multiple Marvel titles besides Caps. This storyline had more details than Winter Soldier which they also directed, but they did a better job in this one. These 2 will be directing the Infinity War movies, and now that fills me with confidence .

There was ....one glaring mistake made when reintroducing an established Marvel character....again....

Marisa Tomei as Aunt May?! As Robin would say, "Holy Dumbass Batman!?" Hollywood pretentiousness trying to "glam-up" one of the few elderly characters in the Marvel universe. Idiots.

Anyway the movie introduced the new Spider-Man very well, and the Black Panther. Both were brilliant sells, and especially so re: Black Panther. Chadwick Boseman not only didnt drop the ball, he mightve invigorated interest in a flat character. RDJ did that with Iron Man. I never saw the Ant-Man movie, really enjoyed how they displayed him here, and Rudd was entertaining as always.

Daniel Bruhl did a fantastic job playing Baron Zemo (that purple mask was stupid anyway). In an interview, he said the budget for this movie was so huge that you could make twenty films from it. Heres some IMDb trivia and then an honest conclusion..

Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) remarks how attractive Aunt May (Marisa Tomei) is. Downey and Tomei actually had a relationship in the 1990s, and appeared in two other films together: Chaplin (1992) and Only You (1994).

The finalists for the Spider-Man role did separate screen tests with Chris Evans and Robert Downey Jr., with the intent of seeing whose chemistry fit the best with both Evans and Downey.

Chadwick Boseman underwent a vigorous training program to get in fighting shape for the character. While admittedly not a big reader of comics as a kid, Boseman read as many comics as possible for anything Black Panther-related. Boseman also visited South Africa to better incorporate cultural aspects of the country into his role.

Hope van Dyne was going to become The Wasp in an earlier draft of the script, but she was removed due to concerns that reducing her role to a cameo alongside the other characters would be a disservice to her as a character. The fact that Evangeline Lilly was pregnant at the time also probably influenced the decision.

Originally Iron Man was only going to have a small role in this movie. However, Robert Downey Jr. asked for more screentime and a higher paycheck. Marvel CEO Ike Perlmutter planned to have Iron Man written out of the film completely, in which case the Russos had backup plans to adapt another story in the event that happened. However, Kevin Feige persuaded Marvel Pictures/Disney that Robert was fundamental to the film and this in turn led to Ike Perlmutter no longer being involved in the feature film side of Marvel Pictures.

Tom Holland made audition tapes together with Jon Bernthal while filming Pilgrimage (2016), with Holland landing the role of Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Bernthal the role of Frank Castle/The Punisher in Daredevil (2015).

Should you see it?

If you dont like superhero movies, then no. Its a great superhero film, but imo would not transfer outside its already built-in fanbase. Daredevil could though, but thats why DD is 5 stars and Civil War is 4 1/2

I don't think sexing up a character can be called pretentious.
We could have got a Wrestler style scene with her and RDJ to make it less pretentious.

I cant believe they did that, Aunt May!? What?! Aw hell naw, and whats bad is Tomeis the 3rd Aunt May. Theyve gotten progressively younger, Marisa Tomei is in her fifties, Rosemary Harris was in her seventies in Spider-Man, and Sally Field in her sixties in The Amazing Spider-Man. Yet all 3 are oscar winners, go figure.

I cant believe they did that, Aunt May!? What?! Aw hell naw, and whats bad is Tomeis the 3rd Aunt May. Theyve gotten progressively younger, Marisa Tomei is in her fifties, Rosemary Harris was in her seventies in Spider-Man, and Sally Field in her sixties in The Amazing Spider-Man. Yet all 3 are oscar winners, go figure.
She did seem way too young. I am reserving judgement till the Spider-Man movie though. Probably mostly because I have always liked her as an actress.

Oh shes great, I like her too, but she was horribly miscast. The kid did a good job, but he comes off more as a kid than a high schooler. Nonetheless he will grow and is doing a good job. Im sure hes cheaper than Andrew Garfield too, who I thought was perfect.

Oh shes great, I like her too, but she was horribly miscast. The kid did a good job, but he comes off more as a kid than a high schooler. Nonetheless he will grown and is doing a good job. Sure hes cheaper than Andrew Garfield, who I thought was perfect.
I still like Maguire, but I always seem to be partial to the first thing I see concerning characters. Raimi's first Spider-Man movie is by far my favorite thing done with that character.

wait what,marisa tomei is in her fifties???
anyway i agree with you 100%

Season 2 Episode 3 Daredevil has the best fight scene in the series so far when hes fighting 30 bikers down a flight of steps...one floor at a time When they do have action, they deliver hardcore. The series was nominated for its choreography.

Aunt May is Peters Aunt not his mom so really an aunt can be any age. They just always did May being well elderly or that patten classic Spiderman Comic look. Its more natural too imagine may can be any age from Fourtys on since Peter is in high school.

Aunt May is Peters Aunt not his mom so really an aunt can be any age. They just always did May being well elderly or that patten classic Spiderman Comic look. Its more natural too imagine may can be any age from Fourtys on since Peter is in high school.
Yeah but get Kathy Bates or something. Marissa Tomei is hot. Aunt May shouldnt be hot! aw hell naw