2013 MoFo Fantasy Football - The Playoffs

Tools    

Everytime Ryan Fitzpatrick & Justin Hunter are in the redzone, on my bench, Im just cringing. You all just dont know how close I came to playing them over Brees & Larry Fitz.

Not a great start, but you've got more going after the 1:00 games than he does. And Brees has done this bad-first-half-leads-to-chucking-the-ball-a-ton thing before. Heck, I think he last did it just two weeks ago.

Apparently it's more or less a monsoon in Carolina now, which makes a comeback tough for Brees.

It also means I probably should've started the CAR defense. D'oh.

Sorry for the bad advice. Im getting smothered over here, and will be shocked if Brees or Peterson can put up their Yahoo projected totals.

I dont think it will really matter who I slotted this week when its all said and done, but Im fighting myself on doing a 180 and slotting in Crabtree over Fitz. Why Im keeping Fitz in there is simply he averages alot more catches than Crabtree i.e. gets more targets.

Don't sweat it, I was leaning Lions anyway, and they might still put up a good total. But yeah, really impressive showing from Carolina, even in a monsoon.

I had plenty of evidence to make the call either way; they're a better D, even if the matchup is tough. And while the Saints put them into negative points a couple weeks ago, that was at home. The Saints are *much* worse against opposing Ds on the road, and the Panthers significantly better at home. On the other hand, the Giants have been horrendous on offense and now they're without Victor Cruz, too. So it really could've gone either way.

Anyway, yeah, you'll need some pretty crazy stuff to come back, but stranger things have happened.

Manning goes nuts late in the game (I'm playing him, naturally) and reaches 51 TD passes for the season, breaking Tom Brady's record with a game to spare. The Broncos also need just 17 points to become the highest scoring team in history.

Brady, in turn, had broken Manning's record of 49 in 2004. And that's actually still the most impressive mark even though it's now the third-highest, because it was done in an era with a lot less passing. That season saw the highest attempt-to-TD ratio of the three, so in terms of pure value it's still probably the best, at least outside of Marino's 48 back in the day.

Factoring in all circumstances, though, I think Manning's 51 (plus whatever else he gets next week) at 37 and after two neck surgeries is probably the most incredible QB season in modern history.

^^^ 100% agree.

Im gonna be rooting for Dennis Pitta like he was the lovechild of Gronk & Graham.

^^^^ Ha ha! 8:11 left in 2nd quarter and Joe Flaccos thrown 2 passes. 2! Neither were to Pitta. They need Tim Tebow.

Wait a minute thats 3 passes now. Just threw a 17 yard pass to Ed Dickson. The other tight end.

Good win Justin. It looks like you may win both leagues this year too.

I wish my team showed up to play. Even with Optimal Lineup I couldnt come near what is a very average total of 109ish points. Disgusting.

Now I gotta get 60 points from Anquan Boldin and the San Fran Kicker (too disgusted to look up his name again). If the SF WRs blow down the doors, and me not slotting in Crabtree over Fitz cost me the final, Ill be sick AND disgusted.

So the next 24 hours will be Schrodinger's FFB Final. I can take solace in having no hope of winning, or/and know I screwed myself out of winning the final. Im ready for some baseball.

Congrats Justin - great season. Sry Tongs rough finish, but good season overall.

You both do know I would have won it all but for those lousy 4 points. sighness.

Hey it is all I got. Now lets watch the Broncs in the playoffs

Hmm... having never lived in North America, I'm not familiar with this Fantasy Football, and I had in fact never heard of it before stumbling across it here. (Funnily enough, the first Google item on "fantasy football" is in fact an association football game, but I presume you're talking about the ESPN game?) As far as I can tell, it seems like a fairly common club manager game (like a different-sport Soccer Manager - an online game I am in fact familiar with);but, in contrast to most such games (including Soccer Manager), the result is not determined by the game's scripts, but by splicing together real match results somehow?

Congratulations Justin. Don't let winning your first time out fool ya': it's a pretty tough league.

Now, I believe we have the matter of a trophy to discuss. PM on the way.

A system of cells interlinked
Hmm... having never lived in North America, I'm not familiar with this Fantasy Football, and I had in fact never heard of it before stumbling across it here. (Funnily enough, the first Google item on "fantasy football" is in fact an association football game, but I presume you're talking about the ESPN game?) As far as I can tell, it seems like a fairly common club manager game (like a different-sport Soccer Manager - an online game I am in fact familiar with);but, in contrast to most such games (including Soccer Manager), the result is not determined by the game's scripts, but by splicing together real match results somehow?
Fantasy Football is extremely popular, and has nothing to do with ESPN, except that they too host leagues at this point. People played it before the internet became popular, and they would just sit in a room and live-draft before the season started, then using newspapers to collate stats as the season wore on. It wasn't as popular back then, but it was around. Pretty much all the major sports sites have a league hosting service, such as Yahoo (where we play), ESPN, NFL.com, Roto...there are many!

Our cable television providers have channels specifically devoted to Fantasy sports, which is nice, as many of them run all the stats for all the games so you can keep up with your players as the games are played.

There are fantasy leagues for all sports at this point, and we play Football and Baseball here on Mofo.

Oh and...Congrats Justin!

Yeah, the primary virtue is that since it's not simulation the level of realism, so to speak, is built-in. And rather than watch real games and simulated results, they're actually one and the same. One of end results is that people who play fantasy become much more knowledgable about the league as a whole, too.

Just saw a picture from Seattle. I had no idea you guys had such a cool, football-shaped (that is the idea, yeah?) opening on the one end:

Yeah, it's got kind of a cool Clock on the outside of it too. They were following a similar design from Husky Stadium that has an open end by Lake Washington. Not sure if they purposely designed it to look like a football. They probably did.