Oscars

Tools    

I guarantee two things this year: Gangs of New York will get nominated for picture and Scorsese for director, and Planet of the Apes will win Best Makeup. Everything else is fair game.

I think A.I. should be up for everything, but alas. It opened too early.

Hey Brodie, why do you respect the opinion of the academy? It's a corrupt system. The only reason it's tolerable is because it's so damn fun to argue over what SHOULD win.

Originally posted by Steve N.
I guarantee two things this year: Gangs of New York will get nominated for picture and Scorsese for director, and Planet of the Apes will win Best Makeup.
I can understand the second prediction, but c'mon, you haven't even seen Gangs of New York. The Academy may be a bit biased when it comes to that film, but it could end up completely sucking. It HAS happened before.

Anyway, I think LOTR, when it does come out, will win for best Adapted Screenplay (with heavy competition from Harry Potter). I think the LA Times had it at 18:1 odds for a Best Picture nomination, too. It wouldn't surprise me...it looks to be an amazing movie.

Rock God
i respect the opinion of the academy because they sometimes get it right. i don't respect them as much as most people do, though, trust me. i know what you're talking about, and for the record, my earlier post says i don't take the oscars as bible.

Now With Moveable Parts
I think the Golden Globes are a more accurate representation of whats out there.Also the SAG(screen actors guild)awards are more enjoyable to watch because the stars aren't so stressed.Did you see Julia Robert's acceptance speach last year at the Oscars? A good example of stress.I don't think she thought she would win and rightly so.That speech was hard to watch,it was so goopy.