Movie Tab II

Tools    

Last Temptation = The Passion?

movies I saw

the hustler
this was good, not sure what to say about it. i guess the acting is the main reason to see it. paul newman on his way to his great role in scorsese's pool hustler flick.

how to murder your wife
really funny for the most part - gloppita gloppita - however: i'm not sure why this ending didn't bother me in my fair lady, but it did here. i think the trial scene was too excessive but otherwise this is a great movie.

days of wine and roses
was hoping this would be as good as glengarry glen ross. i guess lemon had to stumble a bit before he could play a dramatic role that powerfully. i think the main problem here was more ordinary though, just the single-mindedness of moralizing bleaching out all the depth.

pirates of the carribean 3
i actually liked this. it's a lot more uneven than the earlier two films though.

the good shepherd
i had no idea deniro directed this until the credits. i can't really clarify my thoughts on this but by the end i was pretty happy it was over. i think it was trying to be sort of a godfather-esque saga but wound up more part 3 than part 1 or 2. not terrible but not terribly memorable either.

the good german
i've been waiting for soderbergh to do something as awesome as the limey since, well, the limey. this wasn't as good but it was his best recent movie that i've seen and one of the best-looking ones i've seen from the last few years.

infernal affairs
like this and the departed both.

body double
had some pretty funny twists but sometimes (and many times while watching this) I think De Palma likes deliberately making his characters detestable and poorly acted, just to torture the audience. i've got nothing against lame nobodies being the main characters of movies, but i actually found myself wanting to bully this guy.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Not really. I'd say M. Gibson played a larger role in my final thoughts on the film. I couldn't help but notice the parallels between Apocalypto and The Last Temptation. When I saw a little midget being carried on someone's back in Apocalypto I kind of laughed because it reminded me of the little pale guy in The Last Temptation, which then lead to me wonder what sort of fetish M. Gibson has with little people and whether he intentionally associates them with bad things. It's a slippery slope.
Gibson seems to have a thing for deformity and so called freaks as symbols of evil. I've thought about that too.

I was just asking because Gibson's use of original ancient languages in both The Passion of Christ and Apocalypto has been seen by many as indicators of authencity, and not only on the language level.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Bug -
A flat out piece of sh*t. One of the top F++ of all time.
And yet I still can't wait to go see it today!

TMNT-It's better than most animations that come out lately

Primeval-pfff what a crap Whatever you do don't watch it

Hostel Part II-this one wasn't that disgusting

Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny-so funny I even play some parts of the film over and over again and laugh

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
Pirates of the caribbean 3: At worlds end

liked it much better than the second one but i didnt like the ending. Special effects were reali good this time, i wasnt that impressed with the kracken and thankfully there was no kracken action sequences in this one. Storyline was a bit out of the blue in the second half with tia dalma. I loved barbossa in this movie, geoffery rush played him so well. Keith richards cameo was underplayed and too short. Elizabeths part was much more enjoyble to watch this time - she wasnt so anoying and had better fight scenes too.

The malestrom scene was amazing to watch and i started to wish that it was a smell-o-vision screen so i could smell the waves it looked that good. I felt the ending was too ridiculous and nothing ended as it should have - wills final situation came straight out of left field and i dont think it was that believable. I loved how elizabeths story played out, that she ended up so much enveloped in the pirate world.

Gibson seems to have a thing for deformity and so called freaks as symbols of evil. I've thought about that too.

I was just asking because Gibson's use of original ancient languages in both The Passion of Christ and Apocalypto has been seen by many as indicators of authencity, and not only on the language level.
I guess it could be an indicator of authenticity, but I wouldn't say it's a guarantee. There were some parts in Apocalypto where I asked myself, "Come on, would they really say/do something like that?" Some of it seemed pretty modern and western. If I remember correctly, The Passion did a much better job at rendering a time, place, and culture - but then again, I could be totally wrong about that.

Whoever corrected me, thanks. I was calling The Passion, The Last Temptation. OUCH!
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

I am having a nervous breakdance
I guess it could be an indicator of authenticity, but I wouldn't say it's a guarantee. There were some parts in Apocalypto where I asked myself, "Come on, would they really say/do something like that?" Some of it seemed pretty modern and western. If I remember correctly, The Passion did a much better job at rendering a time, place, and culture - but then again, I could be totally wrong about that.

Whoever corrected me, thanks. I was calling The Passion, The Last Temptation. OUCH!
and I said authencity instead of authenticity.

I've been thinking that this semi trend of using the original language instead of having Maya people or Japanese people speaking English with an accent will be seen as a way of enabling the film industry to tell stories about other cultures without having to incorporate The White Hero. But, still, it's Hollywood's and mainstream cinema's point of view in the end anyway.

I'm actually about to write an article about this, and that's why I asked you.

Pirates of the Caribbean: At world’s End (2007) ~ 3½/5
The Others (2001) ~ 3½/5
Cold Mountain (2003) ~ 4/5
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) ~ 4/5

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Hope you don't have to pay then ....you'll be totally disappointed.
It couldn't have been farther from what I expected, but it still worked a number on me something fierce. I can see why you wouldn't like it and I can see why the vast majority of people will not like it.

Hell, to say I liked it would be less than accurate. That would be like saying I like being emotionally raped.

Bug is a devastating film. Powerful filmmaking with absolutely astonishing performances. Ashley Judd is phenomenal in it.

Its brazen exploitation of all too real characters made me sick to my stomach in a way only art can.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
ive been trying to cover old groundwork and see some films that i've never seen that i definitely should have:

the Evil Dead - i watched this last night and i laughed my ass off! i was more creeped out in the beginning, more than anything, but towards the end that kind of dwindled away. i didn't mind, though. i have the sequel, which ill try to watch tonight. 8/10

Dawn of the Dead (2003) - i was really disappointed with this. i saw the original for the first time about a year ago or something, and i really enjoyed it. i was told the remake was more scary and less comedy, but i was really bored through a good chunk. actually, i thought the first half hour was pretty decent, with plenty of potential, but once we got into the mall, i was really bored. i also don't really think fast zombies 'do' it for me. they just aren't as scary as the ones that shuffle! they kept killing off characters before you even got a chance to like them, too. actually, i didn't really care for any of the characters, even the ones that lived. i hated some of the action scenes. i found them a trifle confusing and obnoxious. 3/10

Pans Labyrinth - this drew me in from the very first moment. unfortunately, the DVD i rented skipped like a mother and i had to return and exchange it only to have that one skip too, so i wasn't able to enjoy this to the max. i may buy it anyway. i returned it before checking out any of the extras. someone else on here said they wished they could have seen more of the fantasy world, and if anything, i kind of have to agree with that, but i still really loved the plot, and the characters. the ending was really disturbing, and hella depressing. are you supposed to wonder if the whole thing was just in her head? if thats the case, it was the most depressing thing ever. i loved it. 9/10

Basic Instinct - no, i never saw this! it for the most part lived up to my expectations. great sex scenes, and i can't ask for more than that. i've not seen much of Sharon Stone, which im glad i fixed. Michael Douglas just aint sexy, though. 7.5/10

Deliver us from Evil - interviews with families and victims of Priest Oliver O'Grady child molester, and O'grady himself. was absolutely infuriating, and while i more often than not don't have the attention span for documentaries (seriously) its worth a watch if you're interested in how backwards the Catholic Church is (if you didn't already know). 7/10

and I said authencity instead of authenticity.

I've been thinking that this semi trend of using the original language instead of having Maya people or Japanese people speaking English with an accent will be seen as a way of enabling the film industry to tell stories about other cultures without having to incorporate The White Hero. But, still, it's Hollywood's and mainstream cinema's point of view in the end anyway.

I'm actually about to write an article about this, and that's why I asked you.
That's interesting. Does the "White Hero" depend on the race or culture. There's probably tons of examples of someone who isn't white that still appeals to the majority, western whites, by over coming temptations of other cultures. That'd make it more appealing because the majority could say, "See, even someone who isn't like us agrees that our way is right." On the flip side, a white hero beating the minority is also appealing. Coming from within the wrong to join the right or being of the right and defeating the wrong.

Has anyone ever had a "banana boat?" I was BBQ'n with some friends last night and someone mentioned the banana boat. You cut a banana down the middle and stuff it with marshmallows and chocolate then wrap it in tinfoil and put it on some coals of a fire. Open, let cool, and then eat. It was pretty delicious - I was kind of drunk though so I don't know how it would taste now.

Snakes on a Plane

Some funny parts. For example, "Get off my d_ck snake!" Someone says that after a snakes crawls out of an airplane toilet and grabs hold of his wiener. That's a sort of dumb funny I can enjoy at the moment, one time. The whole movie is filled with those jokes so it got kind of old. Sam Jackson... what the hell man? Seriously.