Pineapple Express

→ in
Tools    

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
Revenge of the Nerds was kind of fun. The nerds were attractive people made to look nerdy for the most part though.

Are you referring to movies where the not so popular guy gets the girl? I haven't seen this yet, so I have no clue.

I take it you're not into Revenge of the Nerds either then?

I love this movie!

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
No, actually I do not hate large people at all. I do find some people to be unattractive that are large. Other large people are very attractive though. I was talking about a trend I'm seeing in movies.

The trend to using all sizes of people is a fine one overall but the trend toward using people that really look as unattractive as the guys in Superbad isn't a good one, IMO. That's why I didn't spend any money to see that movie. I won't even watch it for free.

Not all large people are cute or nerds for that matter.

Of course what attracts some may repel others and this is a very individual thing.

I prefer a good looking wardrobe, hair and makeup that looks decent but a little understated, and a face that I can enjoy looking at. Of course there must also be a projection of a personality to go along with all that and a good story well told.

Oh I also find Billy Bob Thorton to be very unattractive too. I will rarely watch a film he is in. It's not just a size thing see but that trend is irritating.

Damn bleach'..you hate large people much? What do you mean by "unattractive"?

OK, question. I don't usually watch Hollywood comedies. It's not an elitest thing (as I've been accused of) or pretentious (another accussation) it's just most of them don't appeal to me and, on the odd occassion when I do see one, it usually turns out that I was right and I don't enjoy it. However, for some reason Pineapple Express has started to appeal to me. I have no idea why, it just has, but I've not seen any of these films before. None. Not one of the following:

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
DodgeBall: A True Underdog Story
The 40-Year-Old Virgin
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
Knocked Up
Superbad
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story
Drillbit Taylor
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Step Brothers
Tropic Thunder
Pineapple Express (Of course)

Either they didn't look funny or the trailers actually annoyed me.

Now, I have promised a friend that I'll see Tropic Thunder, but that'll be a rental because it stars (and I use the term loosely) Ben Stiller and Jack Black. That's two very unfunny men for the price of one.

So, do I go with this feeling and take a look at Pineapple Express, even though previous experience tells me that it'll probably be a mistake? Or go with my head, which says don't waste your money. You know you won't like it and you've got to watch that bloody Stiller and Black film yet. Idiot.

i think that a few of the movies are alright but some i don't like

this movie was really really funny

Movie Forums Extra
Hey it was a nice movie. I had a lot of fun watching this movie, though some dialogues were inaudible.

Welcome to the human race...
OK, question. I don't usually watch Hollywood comedies. It's not an elitest thing (as I've been accused of) or pretentious (another accussation) it's just most of them don't appeal to me and, on the odd occassion when I do see one, it usually turns out that I was right and I don't enjoy it. However, for some reason Pineapple Express has started to appeal to me. I have no idea why, it just has, but I've not seen any of these films before. None. Not one of the following:

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
DodgeBall: A True Underdog Story
The 40-Year-Old Virgin
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
Knocked Up
Superbad
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story
Drillbit Taylor
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Step Brothers
Tropic Thunder
Pineapple Express (Of course)

Either they didn't look funny or the trailers actually annoyed me.

Now, I have promised a friend that I'll see Tropic Thunder, but that'll be a rental because it stars (and I use the term loosely) Ben Stiller and Jack Black. That's two very unfunny men for the price of one.

So, do I go with this feeling and take a look at Pineapple Express, even though previous experience tells me that it'll probably be a mistake? Or go with my head, which says don't waste your money. You know you won't like it and you've got to watch that bloody Stiller and Black film yet. Idiot.
I'm going to share one very unpopular opinion with you - I reckon Seth Rogen as an actor/writer is heavily overrated. Some people have probably heard how little I think of his "big" movies last year, Knocked Up and Superbad. In spite of that, I still went to see Pineapple Express because the premise of a "stoner action movie" seemed too great to ignore.

That's just me, and on further reflection I can't really remember anything particularly funny about the film. I mean, you take any popular comedy from the past few decades and you're bound to find at the very least one part that sticks in your brain. I don't get that feeling with Pineapple Express. The thing with me is that I have a very good memory and always remember the movies I laugh really hard at. The only thing I can think of that was really funny in Pineapple Express was the "foot-in-the-windshield" scene that was in the TV spots anyway.

I'm not entirely sure what you look for in comedy, though. If you can't think of any genuinely worthwhile alternative, you can always just bite the bullet and watch it. If you like it, fine. If not, well, that's 2 hours you're not going to get back. Big whoop. Move on. That being said, Pineapple Express didn't feel like a waste of time, although I wouldn't say it's classic.

So eh, it's all up to you.

Wow, I really liked this flick!

I've read some opinions (not necessarily on this website) that stated there were two main parts to this film, and that the first half was better than the second. I would say the opposite-- this movie got better as it went along. Overall, a very original film.

Danny McBride was great! He stole the movie, in my opinion, as the third amigo. I love Apatow's theme in many of his films (but certainly not all of his films) of that awkward male bonding and love that other macho writers are too afraid to tackle.

I have a sneaky hunch that Apatow might be a Libertarian. Pro-mary jane and pro-guns-- or at least that is how they were portrayed in the film.

Good stuff!

Employee of the Month
I`ve just read the script, but not watching the movie yet .

It seems to be a very simple and realistic Comedy. It nails the Stoner Style, by avoiding a nice Happy-End in Lala-Land. If two halfbaked douchebags would get in the way of some brutal gangsters, this is the way it would go down (if the douchebags were really lucky guys).
And the dialogs are quite funny ("It´s like killing a unicorn with a bomb!")

I heard that there would be a sequel combining 'Superbad' and 'Pineapple Express'.. That would be great. Superbad was super good and Pineapple Express was just brilliant. I'm loving these kinds of films.

I was one who got sucked in by all the hype on this one. With all of my friends telling me "it's a must see" and how good it is..., my expectations were raised however I feel it fell short but only due to the build up I experienced prior to seeing it.

I friggin' love this movie!

One of the best comedies ever made!

I place it with ease in my Top 10 Comedy Films list, if I ever make one.

This movie started out good and drug out in the middle. In my opinion. Not one of Seths better flicks.