2016 NFL Pick'em League

Tools    

Eh, I dunno if I have the energy to go through and audit everything, though it stands to reason there's probably a discrepancy or two in there somewhere. I'd say it's probably only worth doing if the people in the top few slots are within a couple of games of each other when the dust settles.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
Yeah. I'm not the most pays attention to details guy and have had multiple inconsistencies brought to light this year. I just wanted to give everyone a heads-up on when I officially stop caring.

Yeah, this ended up requiring a bit more time than I'd anticipated, which is probably why I almost borked the rules a couple of times (one time I noticed before the deadline, and the other time I picked the same team twice in the same week and only fixed it because cricket PM'd me). So I'm iffy on playing next year, but I'd like to, provided it doesn't involve a big time commitment.

Regardless, I'd suggest ditching the bonus point, since it's effectively random, yet still makes a huge difference. By my count I had seven (!) weeks where I fell one pick shy, for example.

Might be worth having a bonus point people can distribute to whatever game they feel most confident about, though you might have to allow it to be used just once per team per year. Though that makes the whole thing more involved, too. But I think anyone willing to play at the current level of complexity is probably willing to tolerate a bit more.

I am cool with playing again but would like the rules to be a bit more fine-tuned. Saying that, I had fun joining in and appreciate the game.

thanks for having it.

Yeah, that works out well. Honestly, it feels like the AFC as a whole has really opened up for the Pats this year. As you say, Pitt's the only team they probably need to worry about, and obviously they'd still be the favorites at home. I genuinely don't know what to expect from the Steelers on a week to week basis, though. Very good team with random lapses, at least earlier in the year.

I feel really bad for Oakland with the Carr injury. They finally got a good management team in there and made some good moves and seem to have a solid team. Such a bummer.

All that said, I think the NFC is really interesting, and which non-Patriot team is in the AFC Conference Championship Game still feels pretty up in the air. I've been at the point the last few years where I haven't had as many rooting interests, so other than the Steelers I'm just excited about the prospect of some good games.

I just read that this Miami game will be the first time Ben, Bell, and Brown have all been in a playoff game together. That's absurd. I didn't realize it'd been that bad. Feels like a lot of playoff wins got left on the table with the whack-a-mole injuries they've had to deal with the last few years. Really poorly timed.

Don't sleep on the Chiefs defense.
One thing we're reminded of every few years (and with a vengeance last year) is that great defenses can just steamroll everyone in the playoffs.

I think the NFL is pretty random from game to game, so I don't believe in too many overarching principles. But I am fond of trying to view playoff chances through the lens of "what does each team do better than anyone else?"

My hope for the Super Bowl
Kansas City vs. Green Bay

Reality:
New England vs. Seattle/New York
Obviously, I'd like to see the Steelers in there. Barring that, yeah, the Chiefs would be fun. Except for the next six months of wasted breath about whether or not Alex Smith is ELITE.

That said, obviously a NE-SEA rematch has some built-in drama that would help outweigh the Bowl fatigue you'd otherwise get from it.

PIT-DAL would be a fun revived rivalry!

Oh yeah, lots of mediocre QBs have won titles. And most of them get way too much credit for it. After the Ravens won in 2013 they gave Flacco a huge deal, and as a Steeler fan I was very, very pleased. Sure enough, it's been an albatross around their neck.

I think KC is a boring team. I'll rather see NE preferably, or Pitt, vs either Dallas, GB, Seattle, or Atlanta. If it's the Pat's, I'll also take the Vagiants for revenge.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
According to my rudimentary mathematicals, Cricket edged out 7thson by un point.

Good job.

Big cluster at the top, but I imagine we all expected that. That makes it hard to call any particular week pivotal, since they kind of all were, but week 16 would get my vote as the biggest one.