movie ratings - how do they work

Tools    

I am having some trouble understanding various movie ratings online, mostly imdb and rottentomatoes. I hope you will help me understand how ratings work so it will be easier for me to find movies i might enjoy. I will give some examples of movies from natural disaster genre that got me lately. I mostly ignore science as its sci-fi:

2012 (2009) - imdb 5.8, tomatometer 39%, audience score 47%
San Andreas (2015) - imdb 6.1, tomatometer 48%, audience score 52%
The Day After Tomorrow (2004) - imdb 6.4, tomatometer 45%, audience score 50%
Moonfall (2022) - imdb 5.1, tomatometer 35%, audience score 70%

How i ranked them (ignore this part if ur in a hurry):

WARNING: "My subjective view of the 4 movies, only my personal opinion" spoilers below
2012: Absolutely amazing. The carnage is out of this world. Was funny how they always got saved by inches on their plane or on their car, but its ok. Main guy character was likeable, sort of a "loser", humble, real anti hero guy. I loved the ex husbant vs current husbant dialogue, flying scenes were funny. The Russian guy was amazingly funny and his 2 children absolutely despicable. Even the crazy Woody Harrelson character was likable considering i usualy dont like those forced "comedy" guys in movies. 1 of my favourite movies.

San Andreas: I did like the destruction, im a sucker for natural disaster movies. I did like the story. Acting was incredibly bad in my opinion. Dwayne ruined the movie for me, its like they took someone directly from WWE, caricature of itself. Its a personal preference obviously and i know hes a very popular actor that sells theater tickets, but for me it ruined the whole experience. Wife was horrible and i didnt much like that daughter and british guy thing. I much preferred 2012 where movie didnt revolve around a single person. But it was still good watch due to sheer destruction, though obviously much smaller in scale compared to 2012 where it was basicaly extinction event.

The Day After Tomorrow: first 2 times i watched it it was absolutely amazing. Only after reading reviews, the 3rd time i watched it, i noticed lots of forced politics into it, which usualy i dont like, but here it didnt bother me. Main character was likeable, humble science guy. Not a big fan of his kid, he looks wierd, but i did like him and that girl and their thing. Obviously, after watching 2012 and San Andreas where buildings collapse like toys, special effects werent as special as they seemed the first and second time i watched it. Story is as good as you can expect from this kind of movies, im in it more for the destruction and like that actors are in the second row without anyone being such a strong character that the movie revolves around him.

Moonfall: after watching a bit over half the movie, this thing is horrible in every way possible. It feels like there are 30 second segments put together 1 after another with no point. The whole moon crashing into earth seems like no one really cares much, like, we will try to stop it but only after we have our afternoon tea. That comedy janitor is not very likeable. The main character is actualy likeable but halle berry's performance is horrible in my opinion. Movie didnt really make it feel like things are bad. In 2012, honestly i was on my toes the whole time even though it was the second time i watched the movie.

So how to properly understand the ranking. For me, 2012 is ways above other 3, moonfall is ways below other 3. Yet judging by imdb, 2012 is second worst, by tomato meter san andreas is best and by audience score, 2012 is worst and moonfall is by far the best. If i only picked 1 movie out of those 4, depending on which rating i read, i would choose to watch moonfall or san andreas, which in either case, would be a terrible choice since i ranked them 2012, day after tomorrow, san andreas and moonfall.

How do you guys pick a movie to watch using rating system? If you read reviews for all 4 movies, they are mostly negative, yet, i enjoyed 3 out of 4 movies very very much. Maybe it would be better to use some kind of system that would say, ok, if you liked 2012, u will probably also like day after tomorrow ? Does any such system exist that is good ?

Online movie ratings are just averages of the people who have rated them. IMDb scores are weighted averages of user ratings, RottenTomatoes critics ratings are an average based on critic reviews, and likewise the Audience Rating is an average of user ratings.

Ratings are generally not super useful when picking a movie, with a few extreme exceptions (ie if a film has a 2.4 average on IMDb, I take that as a red flag).

If you scroll down to the bottom of a film's IMDb page, you'll see a section called "More Like This" that will give you some recommendations. You can use a site like JustWatch or others where once you rate enough movies, their recommendations become decent.

I'd also recommend finding lists (on IMDb or elsewhere) made by people who share your taste. If you scroll down on a film's IMDb page, on the right side you get to a section called "User Lists". For example, on the page for 2012 there's a user list called "Best Fiction Movies". You might see if you like some of the movies on that list, maybe there are some on the list you haven't seen.

Tnx ! That list does indeed have most movies i like. Out of all the rating systems, i would supposed that checking viewers ratings would be better than critics ? At least so far, imdb score was better than rotten tomatoes for me. Then there is also google review but there almost all movies have like 60% of audience liked it. On justwatch, i just register and start browsing movies i liked and give them a like and then it will recommend me similar movies ?

Tnx ! That list does indeed have most movies i like. Out of all the rating systems, i would supposed that checking viewers ratings would be better than critics ? At least so far, imdb score was better than rotten tomatoes for me.
I would recommend using whatever seems to most align with your taste.

On justwatch, i just register and start browsing movies i liked and give them a like and then it will recommend me similar movies ?
Yes. And I found that I had to rate about 50 films before the recommendations got actually useful. But the more I rate, the better the recommendations get.

Is Imbd ratings or rotten tomatoes ratings more accurate?

When Siskel & Ebert were still alive, I agreed with Siskel most of the times (unless the plot of the movie involved Hollywood).

You or anyone else can join ROTTEN TOMATOES. It is a TINY group of very average people but for some reason Wikipedia uses it all the time as if the opinions of these nobodies somehow matter.

Define accurate? It's all subjective to everybody. You just have to understand how both work and how to approach them. Like Takoma said, IMDb ratings are weighted averages based on site user's ratings. So to take your sample of films, The Day After Tomorrow is the highest rated of them all at 6.4, versus Moonfall which is the lowest rated at 5.1 (For perspective, the two highest-ranking films in the IMDb Top 250 are at 9.2)

The Tomatometer is the trickiest to understand for most people, but it is a review aggregator. What that means is that they take the reviews from all their RT-approved critics and determine if they lean positive ("Fresh") or negative ("Rotten") and then produce a percentage of how many "Fresh" vs. "Rotten" reviews they are. To take your sample, San Andreas' 48% Tomatometer means that 48% of their RT-approved critics gave it a positive review (which could go from "it was great" to "meh, it was ok") versus 52% negative ones. What this means is that a film with a 90% Tomatometer isn't "nearly perfect", but rather that most RT-approved critics were positive to it.

At the end of the day, it should be a matter of reading the review and gauging if their feelings and thoughts about a certain film align with yours, as opposed to just looking at a number or grade.

You or anyone else can join ROTTEN TOMATOES. It is a TINY group of very average people but for some reason Wikipedia uses it all the time as if the opinions of these nobodies somehow matter.
Not true. To be an RT-approved critic, you have to fulfill certain criteria and submit an application (see here). That application is approved/denied by the site.

This is extremely person dependent. The best way to answer it is to check both for awhile and test it! See how often each "predicts" what you like accurately.

It's an average based on a sample (a small portion of a population) which invites us to make in inference to a population (everyone who watched it) which tempts us to make an inference to a universal audience .which would give us a film's objective quality. Also, don't forget to put a thumb on the scale for the film industry. In short, it's a lie.