LITW, the Critic

Tools    

It definitely appears that M. Night takes a shot at critics with the role of the Critic in the movie. I may be reading too much into it, but maybe the Critic just represents the rational mind that has a fixed interpretation of reality.

When Cleveland finds out that he has to find all these other people, the Healer, the Interpreter, the Guild, he goes to the Critic and trusts him as the voice of reason. When the alignment of the tenants tries to make it happen so Story gets taken away by the Eatlon, the alignment fails miserably and almost costs Story her life.

What happens after this is that Cleveland goes deep inside of himself and confesses his anguish in front of everyone, which he didn't want anyone to know. Mr. Leeds is almost desparate with his desire to belief. Soo Young (don't know the right name) exclaims "make the fairy tale real" when doubts are in the room.

This is a shifting point in everyone's lives as they dig down deep, express their deep, innermost feelings, desires, emotions, and beliefs which are not of the rational mind but of the heart and soul and this is when people truly align with their purpose.

The analytical mind is crucial to life, but it can't be the only mind. A lot of things appear to be irrational in life but they are not. Purpose is not really rational, but it takes rationality to find and remained aligned with Purpose.

I believe that the Critic serves two purposes. The first is for MNS to take a stab at them, but I believe it is also to show the limits of the rational/analytical mind.

Originally Posted by sifusco
It definitely appears that M. Night takes a shot at critics with the role of the Critic in the movie. I may be reading too much into it, but maybe the Critic just represents the rational mind that has a fixed interpretation of reality.

When Cleveland finds out that he has to find all these other people, the Healer, the Interpreter, the Guild, he goes to the Critic and trusts him as the voice of reason. When the alignment of the tenants tries to make it happen so Story gets taken away by the Eatlon, the alignment fails miserably and almost costs Story her life.

What happens after this is that Cleveland goes deep inside of himself and confesses his anguish in front of everyone, which he didn't want anyone to know. Mr. Leeds is almost desparate with his desire to belief. Soo Young (don't know the right name) exclaims "make the fairy tale real" when doubts are in the room.

This is a shifting point in everyone's lives as they dig down deep, express their deep, innermost feelings, desires, emotions, and beliefs which are not of the rational mind but of the heart and soul and this is when people truly align with their purpose.

The analytical mind is crucial to life, but it can't be the only mind. A lot of things appear to be irrational in life but they are not. Purpose is not really rational, but it takes rationality to find and remained aligned with Purpose.

I believe that the Critic serves two purposes. The first is for MNS to take a stab at them, but I believe it is also to show the limits of the rational/analytical mind.
I have to confirm if I am understanding this correctly.

Are you stating that, both the rational and analytical minds need eachother to work? They're like a team where one interprets the other differently so that it can function.

And, the critic in this story is supposed to represent these fields by what he says and how others are effected by him.

I hope I'm understanding that right. I'm probably analyzing it too greatly that I'm going off track. Sometimes you make me think too hard Haha.

Originally Posted by sifusco

I like your take on this.

WS,

Sorry, I wasn't totally explicit. There's the analytical mind (aka the rational mind) but then there is also the creative mind. The two have to go hand in hand.

An example would be the creative mind comes up with an idea. The analytical mind then takes over to take the necessary steps, the method, to get to the place the idea would be fulfilled. Rationality, though, can't take you all the way in all fields so when the analytical road ends, creativity has to take over again to come up with a new path to get to the end result.

I am always amazed that ideas start out as intangible objects in our minds and then have the possibility of becoming a tangible object or directly observable event.