Are Movie's Robots Racist?

Tools    

I happened to be on Yahoo! today and saw an odd article slapped on the front page. It was about the robots of Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen, and 2 racist robots featured in the film. Well, they're not really racist, they're just stereotypical suspicious towards black people. One who saw the movie, said it was "outrageous".

I have not seen the movie yet, but I will soon for I liked the first entry. For those who have seen it, what are your thoughts on this? For those who haven't seen it yet, will this make you avoid it or do you think its not meant to be stereotyped?

Heh, are the people calling the robots racist themselves instead of the creators if they were not supposed to be resembling the colored?

See the article.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I really cannot believe that there would be racists transformers in the movie, I havent seen the movie yet but I thought the first was awesome and this does look like its going to be great.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Heh, are the people calling the robots racist themselves instead of the creators if they were not supposed to be resembling the colored?
The title of the story needs to be changed, they're not racist, but rather their language and the way they talk in the movie has them sounding like a couple of thugs. Oddly enough, one of them is voiced by the Spongebob Squarepants voice actor, which is white, and the other is voiced by Reno Wilson, which is black. If I remember right, in one scene they call someone a b**** a**.

The movie would've been better off had they not even been in it, they served no purpose to the storyline.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Mig
They weren't racist, stereotypical yeah.

They were behaving like thugs, I suppose for comedy relief, but no way were they racist.

Had they acted like rednecks I doubt this would have been brought up.

Historically, white people have subjected blacks to racism more so than the other way around, because of this some see to racism where it's not and at times even overlook racism where it's present, all depending on which race is subjected to ridicule.

Watch The Kings Of Comedy for a perfect example of this, white people are targetted without much wit to justify this (comedy doesn't have to be a means to an end, I think the comedy it self can provide an end in it self).

A white person would not get away with so much criticism of blacks, not even if he managed to be funny about the thing.

Originally Posted by jokerboy1991
Those are some ugly looking robots.

If they're supposed to represent stereotypical black men, where are their big robot penises? I see some cords hanging down there, but they're pretty small. Perhaps they're growers, but I dunno. I always heard that once you go black robot, you don't go back.

Beware The Probe!
If those things are supposed to be stereotypes, where's their bling?
And I'm not seeing a sports team jersey there either.

I don't really see a big deal just because they talk a certain way.
People do talk that way both in real life and on TV.
These robots scan our TV and radiowaves and immitate what they see and hear.
Personally, I don't find it all that far fetched that aliens could think we sound like that if they picked up certain stations. Imagine what they'd sound like after a Jerry Springer marathon.

Also I'd LOVE to see some redneck sounding robots in this.

Mig
Well, they ARE stereotypical.

But that's not what's mistakenly being claimed, they're claimed to be racist, big difference there.

They're portraying a stereotype pertaining to some elements of black culture for comedic value, but that isn't racism, had they been stereotypically redneck I'd bet no one would scream racism.

Kinda, yeah. Racist is a strong word, and I doubt it was particularly concious or deliberate, but they are definitely stereotypical, and I certainly wouldn't really argue with someone who found them offensive.

As for their bling; one of them had a gold tooth.

Beware The Probe!
Kinda, yeah. Racist is a strong word, and I doubt it was particularly concious or deliberate, but they are definitely stereotypical, and I certainly wouldn't really argue with someone who found them offensive.

As for their bling; one of them had a gold tooth.
Don't you mean 'gold toof'?