Your opinion on new movies

Tools    

New movies are sometimes bad because they use CG and special effects to make them good rather than a good story and plot. Since the old movies didn't have much of that stuff they focused on the plot. For example... Seven Samurai was one of the best movies I have ever seen yet there was absolutely no computers involved. Live Free or Die Hard has now become a new favorite of mine but its not because of the story... although it was decent. So whats better? Depends... do you like seeing a car being plunged off into the air and destroying a helicopter or would you rather witness a poor farming society gather the guts to stand up against an enemy that has pillaged their lands too many times?

fbi
I'm not sure that's true. I've seen statistics (none that I actually quote at the moment) that indicated many more people regularly went to the movies in, say, the 1930s-1950s than do today. What's more, people would go to 2-4 different films per week. I remember in the 1950s that a film would play 2-3 days at a theater and then would be replaced by another film; now the same film plays for weeks at a time. Think about the numbers involved--there were more individual movie theaters back then--even the smallest towns would have at least one theater. And there was a whole element of movie theaters that are virtually non-existent today--the drive-in movies! So you have more theaters, each showing 3-4 different films per week, some of which were double features, which no longer exist, so that would jump the number of films up to 4-5 per week per theater. Plus the studio system back then had thousands of actors, writers, directors, photographers and others under contract and instantly available to crank out films within a matter of weeks or days, shot on existing back lots and sound stages at minimal costs. Plus there was virtually no competition from television in the 1930s-1940s and well into the 1950s. So the studio system could crank out a lot of films back then. Some were A Horn Blows at Midnight and some were Casablanca.

dont forget that today there are many more social activities for the public. Net cafes, more clubs and bars, restuarants, computer games, holidays (cheap flights) etc.

These naturally result in less people at the same time going to cinema. Movies are still popular but people see them at different times.

Also, people know they can see a movie anytime they wish now due to pirate dvds and downloading on the net so it wouldnt be such a big deal if they missed it at the cinema.

Ok, on new movies.......

there is the cliche that new movies suck and old ones rock.
I disagree. There are good ones old and new. And today, there are many great film makers who are better than the old.

I think m night shyamalan is great (i hated lady in water thoguh).

dont forget, today, films try to avoid cliches and defiance of logic that old ones made. This indicates we are improving storytelling in movies.

war and historical epics have improved a great deal too. realistic battle scenes that films today achieve simply cannot be made in the old days.

sometimes i dont understand it when people claim to hate remakes and love the original. Many hate the new war of worlds and love the old which makes me laugh.

The old one is very dated now (spaceships look ok though) and has nowhere near the intensity and brutality of the spielberg version.
In fact, the spielberg version had the same story as the old apart from minor changes.

So i prefer the new one due to the realistic invasion scenes.
So when they say they prefer the 50's version it baffles me.
Are they just following socities conventions by saying remakes suck
when it in fact was good?

and other classics such as ghost are a little corny now and if it was made today, would need a script rewrite. However, i still enjoy it due to nostalgia and is good for entertainment.

I'm definitely in favor of using technology to enhance a film. War of the worlds for example: I watched the latest spielberg one at the movies and then watched the original on tv and I laughed through the whole thing. I have noticed, however, the innovative stories are drying up and they're now reverting to remakes of old films just to keep the money bags coming in. That disappoints me a little.

What an interesting topic. I've been thinking for quite some time that the movie industry needs some serious changes. For example I rarely go to movie houses anymore it's expensive and I usually don't enjoy myself. I have a better system at home and am more comfortable there. So I'm the kind of person that would have no problem if all the movie houses shut down and everything went straight to video oops dated myself a little there, I meant DVD of course.

Anyway all I'm really trying to say is with the advent of these types of forums and the like I usually have a real good idea of what I'm buying before I get it. So I filter out a lot of the crap ahead of time. And really you should too. Because after all if we want Hollywood to stop churning out so much junk we have got to collectively stop paying for it! I realize this may never happen but then again ya never know.

I think Hollywood is what it is and as long as enough people are making their money we will continue to see a lot of bad films. But, as has already been stated very well there has been clinkers all throughout history so buyer beware I guess what else can ya do?

Movie Forums Critic
new movies, about sequels, it is like an ordinary TV series the diff is it is int the big screen and some of them not worth it to watch....

Lost in never never land
What I think is that there are a lot of new films that we see that are crap, but there are an equal number of old films like that, but we don't see them because you can't get your hands on them anymore because no one has them since they were crap. Basically, twenty years from now the movies that we have seen that are crap are going to be unknown to the next generation and they will be having the exact same discussion.
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

What I think is that there are a lot of new films that we see that are crap, but there are an equal number of old films like that, but we don't see them because you can't get your hands on them anymore because no one has them since they were crap. Basically, twenty years from now the movies that we have seen that are crap are going to be unknown to the next generation and they will be having the exact same discussion.
Agreed, we can look back to the 50s, 60s, 70s or whenever and only remember the great films, while the very bad ones are rarely seen.

I think there a lot of great, new films being made all over the world (America included) but Hollywood keeps constantly churning out remakes, sequels, prequels and combinations of the three plus all these summer blockbusters like Pirates of the Caribbean, Harry Potter, Spiderman and whatever Spielberg's making these days.

Overall the film industry is not really a lot worse than it's ever been, but it does seem there's a lack of originality and new ideas (especially in Hollywood)

I have to agree with you.
More and more films nowadays are focusing on the CG aspect of their film and giving lesser (or not enough) attention on the story, which is far more important.

I have to agree with you.
More and more films nowadays are focusing on the CG aspect of their film and giving lesser (or not enough) attention on the story, which is far more important.
Totally you wouldn't want a good story to get in the way of the money maker machine that is Hollywood would ya?