Overrated movies of 2002

Tools    

This year we probably have tons of overated films, such as Men in Black 2, which was very bad, XxX, also piece of crap. But....I'd have to say that the most overrated movie of 2002 is...

Star Wars Episode 2: attack of the Clones. Someone please hit George Lucas with a mallet.

Didn't see it.
Amen.

Outside their target audiences, (brainless consumers and computer dorks, respectively) nobody actually likes MIBII or Star Wars. And XXX is underrated, for me at least - Vin Diesel is the new Schwarzenegger, except Ahnuld never had a giant fur coat and a house with skateboard ramps in it.

Although I liked them, I find Adaptation, About Schmidt, and Talk to Her incredibly overrated. And I hated Auto-Focus, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, and The Hours, all so-called 'gems' that left me with an overwhelming desire to rewatch XXX and Monsoon Wedding.

I agree with most of the movies listed here, especially About Schmidt. I found that one to be pretty depressing and very boring. I'm going to add Minority Report to the list. When I first saw it, I liked it, but I happened to be drunk at the time. On the second viewing, I thought to myself. what the F*** was I thinking?? Filled with very stupid plot holes and one of the goofiest fight scenes I've ever seen, this thing is often painful to watch (when I am feeling pain, that is ).

My pick for the most overrated movie of 2002 is Signs. I have a bunch of problems with this flick. For one thing, I never got over the goofiness of using crop circles as a plot device. Sorry, but I know how these things are created and this movie trying to be serious about such a goofy subject just rubs me the wrong way. Also, I thought the acting was pretty bad for the most part. Gibson and Phoenix seemed like they were lost or something, and I thought the other performances were worse. Like Minority Report, there are plot holes you could fly a B-52 through. The whole faith thing means very little to me as an atheist; a movie about faith has to be pretty interesting for me to like it, and this one doesn't cut it.

Alright Firegod, I've never picked a fight with you before, but you're scratching your nails on my chalkboard. What plot holes??? I hate it when people say that and don't back up their statements. I've seen both these movies three times each, and I don't remember any plot holes from either. I believe I'm quite astute at discovering them if there are any. I will challenge you to point a plot hole in any of Speilberg's movies, the man didn't fall off a turnip truck yesterday you know. However, I don't want you to get sidetracked, just point out the, "Filled with very stupid plot holes" from Minority Report and the, "there are plot holes you could fly a B-52 through" for Signs. Grr...
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

My Big Fat Greek Wedding was the biggest, fattest overrated movie of 2002, definitely. I saw it twice, thanks to knowing a 20 yr old dip**** who kept himself from seeing anything R-rated because of his "religious views". One viewing was okay... but it's just not for me. And it played at my local theatre almost ALL YEAR -- it's still there, I believe!

Steve, I don't think Adaptation is overrated. Most people I know never heard of it! I absolutely loved the movie. I hope to see it again - and if it gets tiring then, I'll tell you. I do agree that XXX was underrated... I didn't have any personal desire to see it, but I'm glad I did.

I think these Lord of the Rings movies are also very overrated -- I haven't seen them, but I'm tired of hearing about them. I'd love to play "Ring Toss" and toss those rings away into space.

How can you possibly know if something is overrated without ever seeing them? TLotR's is the grandest scope of filmography in movie history. Don't take me the wrong way, I'm not a salavitating mess just thinking about those movies, I liked them a lot, but I don't worship them. Yet they are certainly deserving of all the hype and adoration.

Fighting out of the Lions Den
8 Legged Freaks~Came to the UK with big wraps and solid reviews.
CGI was repetitive and unimpressive and I found myself constantly looking at my watch...never a good sign.

Austin Powers 3 simply re-tread the same paths of years gone by.

The Royal Tenenbaums depressed me.

Black Hawk Down had lousy Home Cinema sound.

Blade 2 was an insult to Blade.

Originally posted by LordSlaytan
Alright Firegod......What plot holes??? I will challenge you to point a plot hole in any of Speilberg's movies..., the man didn't fall off a turnip truck yesterday you know. However, I don't want you to get sidetracked, just point out the, "Filled with very stupid plot holes" from Minority Report and the, "there are plot holes you could fly a B-52 through" for Signs. Grr...
we (the borg) second that challenge.....i am SO looking forward to ANY response

first of all royal tenenbaums wasn't made in 2002, and that was a great movie, i think its the happiest ending i've seen in a long time, everything comes together and works out in its own weird way. but its not a depressing movie.

i personally thought minority report was a decent movie, it didn't have giant plot holes, if it was bad for any reason is because there was way too much plot and a lot of insignificant additions to the plot which were minuscule additions to the overall plot.

black hawk down was also a great movie, i don't even remember people talking about how it was an amazing film, so how can it be over-rated? it got a lot of hype perhaps because it was the best of the war movies that came out at the same time, the other war movies appeared to shot over like 2 days in some random giant field with lots of explosions and extra's which had more camera time than the main actor (we were soldiers), black hawk down was a good movie.

i don't know about the movie signs, because i haven't seen it, but i would think it to be over-rated just because its what everyone ****ing talks about, if that movie was really as good as everyone says it is, it would win a bunch of awards.

i agree that lord of the rings:two towers was over-rated, it wasn't half as good as the first one in my opinion.

well i'm outta here, going to go watch true romance.

I didn't like The Royal Tenenbaums either, and I usually love dysfunctional family storylines. I think a problem I had with it was I couldn't believe the characters thanks to the actors -- it was like "Oh, that's just Gweneth Paltrow. Oh, that's just Ben Stiller. Oh, that's just Bill Murray. Oh, there's that guy with the funny nose - that Wilson guy, ya know who" I would have preferred seeing some unknowns for that tale. But that's just me.

Tenenbaums and Black Hawk Down were both films from 2001, not 2002. And both of them deserved all the praise they got. Tenenbaums especially. Beautiful, wonderful, expertly crafted film.

austin powers 3 and royal tenenbaums were the most overrated pieces of crap i have ever seen
AND EPISODE II ROCKED!!!!
nuf said

Not really.

If anything it says enough about you to render your opinion on decent films null and void.

I love, love, love The Royal Tenenbaums!!!

Easily on my Top Ten list. I don't think it got enough recognition. I felt that Hackman should've been nominated for best supporting actor, but nobody asked me.

It was my number two film of the year, second only to Amelie, and even then the gap between the two is too close to call. Loved them both very, very much.

Dwarf Tosser #1
Amelie was my top for 01, Tenenbaums close behind in second or third. I don't exactly compile a list at the end of the year, but those definitely stand out. Tenenbaums wasn't overrated, I thought it was absolutely brilliant, and lived up to everything it was built up to be.

Signs was not overrated, it got very little hype here in Australia, and the fact the crop circles were used as a plot device doesn't matter. The story is fiction. It's like saying "The Sixth Sense" was crap just because it had dead people in it.

Fighting out of the Lions Den
Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
Tenenbaums and Black Hawk Down were both films from 2001, not 2002.
I saw both in 2002.
That`s why they are there.

I am retarded.