Overrated movies of 2002

Tools    

I haven't seen Minority Report since it's release in the theatres, but I do remember one glaring hole in the movie (and I do believe I caught more while watching it). After Tom Cruise is known to be a criminal or "pre-criminal", why don't they turn off his access to the lab? He comes back days later with his eyes in the bag and gets in very easily. You would have thought that they'd go through some sort of safety measures to keep him out from messing with files and those guys by turning off his card access and whatnot. Even small bussinesses make sure to do this nowadays, you would think that in the future (and for a large government branch dealing with crime) they'd take such precautionary measures.

Royal Tenenbaums rocks! Wes Anderson rocks! I rock!

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Let's see.

XXX
Eight Legged Freaks
Episode 2
MiB2

Can't think of any more right now, but there's a good reason behind that, I've been a little busy with the fact that I'm in Japan instead of the states, and I don't get a chance to see new movies very often.

I dare someone to say that Spider-Man was overrated. Come on, someone go ahead and say it. I'll be at your door in no time.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Spiderman was overrated.

I would've made a sexy chick
Triple X or xXx or XXX or XxX, was a big pile of steaming regurgatated crap. Jeez i just I dont know it just pissed me off, vin disel is a bad actor somtimes, even though "man apart" does look decent. Anarcy is extreamly stupid. The plot just didnt do it for me. OMG dont get me on "Agent Cody Banks" " a new breed of agent!" LS whats your top ten list?

Ok, I know on MoFo everyone has the right to say whatever the hell they want, but when they insult SPIDER-MAN, ooooooooooooooooo i get angry! It lived up to everything, even more so! It was like reading the comic, i thought. Raimi did an excellent job.

Originally posted by spudracer
Let's see.

XXX
Eight Legged Freaks
Episode 2
MiB2

I dare someone to say that Spider-Man was overrated. Come on, someone go ahead and say it. I'll be at your door in no time.
come get me SPUD....i thought spiderman was crap, toby and kirsten acted like a couple of school kiddies, and the fight between spidey and the goblin was weak

on the other hand, i really liked 8 legged freaks ("they're comiiiing") and also enjoyed MIIB ("he's a ballchinian")

Originally posted by Brodie
LS whats your top ten list?
Why, thank you for asking Brodie! In no particular order:

1. Saving Private Ryan
2. The Blair Witch Project
3. Cool Hand Luke
4. The Great Escape
5. Braveheart
6. Glory
7. Mulholland Drive
8. The Royal Tennenbaums
9. Dead End
10. A Touch of Evil

Originally posted by n7of9
and also enjoyed MIIB ("he's a ballchinian")
And to think I was falling in love with the bald Greek girl. Yet now, my whole image of her is shattered.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally posted by LordSlaytan
And to think I was falling in love with the bald Greek girl. Yet now, my whole image of her is shattered.
pffft...that's a load of crapolas...you love me and you know it

Put me in your pocket...
That's our Slaytan...he loves all the girls and all the girls love him. Brian...you're such a sweet thing.

Now back on topic.....

I can see why Spiderman was so popular...the story, action, special effects....but I do agree with 7of9 about Toby and Kristen. To me they just didn't click. When Toby was looking at her, he seemed to have a blank stare instead of showing any real affection for her. And Kristen with her dyed hair seemed harder in image in constrast to Toby...and she wasn't believable at all at one point...very forced. (I won't mention in case anyone else hasn't seen it.)

I didn't mind Toby as Spiderman, I just wish they has cast someone else for Kristen's Role.

Sorry Spud...hope we didn't crush you.

Signs tops my list for the past year. I've liked M. Night's work so far, but this was just a bit tedious. Not a horrible movie, but not up to snuff either, so I'll throw it in the "overrated" category.

While I'm at it, let me throw Punch-Drunk Love into the overrated crowd as well. PT Anderson at his pretentious best.

I felt the same way after seeing SIGNS at the theater: disappointed. I was expecting the first great crop-circle movie, and it wasn't really a crop-circle movie at all, but rather a pscyhological suspense. I went ahead and bought the DVD anyway, watched it again, and LOVED it. Then watched it again and loved it even more. I recommend giving it another shot. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Chop

Originally posted by stiltman

While I'm at it, let me throw Punch-Drunk Love into the overrated crowd as well. PT Anderson at his pretentious best.
Maybe by "pretentious" you mean "awesome," in which case I'm willing to ignore this statement. If you mean it as you wrote it, then, well, we got business. I defy anyone to offer me a valid reason as to why Punch Drunk Love is not a wonderful, lovely movie. PT Anderson is generous and caring and loves his characters so much...he is a miracle-worker and in my book has officially set himself aside from being that bastard son of Scorsese everyone makes him out to be.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I feel badly that ChopOMatic didn't like Signs in the theater because I saw it ahead of him and whooped it up a lot but didn't give anything away. So I didn't dispel the myth that this was a crop circles movie when I had the chance! Oh well!

Chop, great to see you here! And I'm glad you finally liked it. The first time I saw it, they didn't center it properly and we saw the boom mics in every scene. (I think I posted about that in here somewhere, and I mentioned it to you before.) So, that was disappointing, but upon a second viewing (with no mics) it was even more amazing.

I was disappointed by Don't Say A Word. Thought it was going to be more of a psychological thriller full of mind games. But it was more of a regular ol' kidnapping thriller. Not enough of the girl and her psychosis, given how the trailers played it up.

Xan
Reign of Fire

Austin Powers 3

REIGN OF FIRE I can sure agree with as a disappointment. I was WAY fired up about this movie, but I thought it was gonna be a battle to stop the dragons from taking over. I had no clue it was to be a Mad Max environment in which the dragons had already won. Sorely disappointed.

Please! Is this what they call "Best Pic" materail now?

Michael Shanks is a God!!
I found Men in Black II to be a total disappointment I had my heart set on seeing it and when I did I felt cheated!!! Gee Whiz I was so glad that I rented a DVD and not wasted $$$$ seeing it on the big screen.