Golden Globe Winners

Tools    

Take a look, see what you think. Will the Oscars pan out in a similar fashion? I don't think [not with Best Actor, anyway...]

Best Motion Picture Drama: The Hours
Best Actress Drama: Nicole Kidman for The Hours
Best Actor Drama: Jack Nicholson for About Schmidt

Best Motion Picture Musical or Comedy: Chicago
Best Actress Musical or Comedy: Renee Zellweger for Chicago
Best Actor Musical or Comedy: Richard Gere for Chicago

Best Foreign Language Film: Talk to Her

Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Meryl Streep for Adaptation
Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Chris Cooper for Adaptation

Best Screenplay: Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor for About Schmidt
Best Score: Elliot Goldenthal for Frida
Best Original Song: The Hands That Built America by U2 for Gangs of New York

Best Director: Martin Scorsese for Gangs of New York

Ho hum.

It is sorta ho-hum, and I was shocked at a lot of the TV stuff that won. But who cares?

I am ecstactic for Meryl Streep, Chris Cooper, Jack Nicholson, Nicole Kidman, Martin Scorsese, and Renee Zellweger (in that order).

I am glad that Kidman and Scorsese won [although Scorsese was basically in the same situation as Altman last year. Almost being awarded for a body of work than the nominated film] and also Streep and Cooper, but I think Day Lewis will wind up with the Oscar. And so he should.

From what I've heard. And all.

Sigh.

Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
I am glad that Kidman and Scorsese won
yes..........amen......

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream.......I'm nothing in between.......You know you wouldn't want it any other way".........

"Listen, when I slap you, you'll take it and like it"..........Humphrey Bogart..........Maltese Falcon.......

Graze on my lips and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie...........William Shakespeare.......

Scorsese was definitely winning for his body of work. Gangs of New York was edited very poorly. It was a big ol' mess. Visually spectacular, no doubt, but no, I wouldn't say anything beyond the first 15 minutes or so was all that well-directed.

Originally posted by Yoda
Scorsese was definitely winning for his body of work. Gangs of New York was edited very poorly. It was a big ol' mess. Visually spectacular, no doubt, but no, I wouldn't say anything beyond the first 15 minutes or so was all that well-directed.
I think it'll be hard to really critique this movie until the full director's cut comes out on DVD. Once we're able to see the true vision Scorsese had for this film, and not the watered down version forced by the backers.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

every year, whether its the golden globes or the oscars, it is always only a small handful of movies that get ALL the nominations....there weren't ONLY 5 worthy movies this year!!!

i used to be glued to my TV on awards nights, but in the last few years i'm really getting over it - and last year's oscars was the icing on the cake....halle berry pleeeeeeeeeease

...it is always only a small handful of movies that get ALL the nominations...
Um. Do you even know who was nominated? A damn site more than five movies. This has been one of the most broad and ultimately hard to call years in a long while. Look at THIS THREAD for the full and varied list of nominees.

I hate the way that disliking the award season with a passion is supposed to be hip and cool and whatever. Get over it, already.

sorry dude...i didn't realise the fact that i'm new here rendered me incapable of having any opinions

Sorry dude. I didn't know that I was saying you couldn't.

There is a difference between opinion and fact, and the fact is, a wide variety of films were nominated for Golden Globes. More than five worthy movies, as you claimed.

And it is of my opinion that it is pathetic to hate the award season because it is the in thing. That is my opinion. Hey, you, get off of my cloud...

I personally love the Award Season....It's a good excuse to stay home evey night...

Although i wont say i wasnt disapointed with the selection of the winners, aka Richard gere (Nick Cage!), Jack Nicholson(Daniel Day!), and The Hours (LOTR: The Two Towers all the way!), but overall, i think it was a good show. The Oscars are gonna be great. Theres no real prediction who will win best picture, actor or actress, but director is obvious (Scorsese). Peter Jackson HAS to win at least next year. Imagine all that work he had to do, 3 huge films in 18 months, i personally think he should win once, at least.

Originally posted by Yoda
Ok, I'm not going to completely disagree with you here, but come on - that last half hour was masterful.

The Hours is the worst movie of the year, but it's the type of pretentious studio-backed faux-arthouse drama that wins useless awards like the Golden Globes or the Oscars. I can't say I'm surprised, but I reserve my right to object.

Silver: Yeah, there were more than 5 movies nominated, and I'm sure a lot of them are worthy. Problem is, film culture is a lot larger than what's being paid for by the studios. And let's face it, the studios run the Oscars at least to some degree.

Originally posted by Steve
The Hours is the worst movie of the year
I disagree with your opinion very much.

Originally posted by Steve:
Problem is, film culture is a lot larger than what's being paid for by the studios.
I never said it wasn't. If anything I'm exactly the sort of person to know that studios aren't the be all and end all. I was just pointing out the stupidity of saying that more than a small handful [I consider a small handful five pictures] were nominated. Quite a cross section was nominated, even if they were all studio films. The point is that in claiming that a small handful of films were nominated for awards, the postee was being arrogant and wrong.

Originally posted by Steve
Ok, I'm not going to completely disagree with you here, but come on - that last half hour was masterful.
It was? All I saw was a bunch of gangs, mobs, and street names. It was chaotic and felt utterly meaningless. The movie got worse as it went on, if you ask me.