18 and Older Please.

Tools    

My life isn't written very well.
What is the harm in letting a child under 18 see a movie that is rated "R" by the MPAA? How does seeing such a movie with an adult help? It's not like you can explain what's going on in the picture as it's happening.

Afterall some "R" rated movies feature children in supporting, if not leading roles. I would think more "damage" would be inflicted on a child acting out a dramatic or violent scene, than would a child watching it.

Why do you think it's okay for a child actor to participate in an "R" rated movie, but not okay to let children under 18 view it? It's all "pretend" anyway.

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

It upholds people's parenting and religious traditions. We live in a "who's the boss?" society. The MPAA rates movies depending on variables given by outstanding adult citizens with kids and a big mouth.

but in that aspect then the mpaa rating should be there to tell us what kind of movie we are seeing not be there to tell us that our children cannot see the movie because they don't think that they should

i fully intend on doing what my parents did to me
i'm going to let my children watch horror movies early on...5 or so to start
my parents forced me to watch the exorcist when i was 3
that's my first memory...watching the exorcist
and i LAUGHED through the whole thing too

Good points, both of you. Yes the MPAA should be more specific about what you can expect from the film. But, "R" rated films can be seen by kids when they're accompanied by an adult.

I just don't understand why it's okay for the kid to see it with his/her parents, but not okay to see it alone. Yeah, an "R" rated movie isn't for younger children, say from 2-9 years old. But, from 10 on, it should be okay. I remember when I was 10, I saw some "R" rated movies(unbeknownst to my parents) and I wasn't affected by any scenes.

And what of the child actors in these films? Again, a child acting in a scene that is too violent or dramatic is far more hurtful than a child just watching it. Either way the kid is told it's only "pretend". Why is it okay for the actor, but not the viewer to be under 18.

I'm guessing that it's a lawsuit shield. If they let a kid into one of these movies alone, and they get affected by the imagery, then the theater is an easy target to blame/sue.

Yet if they let the kid go with a "LEGAL" adult, then any after effects are dropped on the adult. The cinema gets away scott free, without the lawsuit, and with an extra ticket purchase.

Plain old American capitalism. Sheesh, Bin Laden coulda told you that.

Ha you Americans.
Here in Canada, we're a little easier on the rating system, and most rated "R" movies are pushed down to what we like to call "14A". So that means anyone 14 and over can see this movie alone without a gaurdian. Only really intense movies get the 18A rating, like "Jackass: The movie" and "Original Sin" (those are the only 2 i can remember ever being of 18A rating).

But the rating system should just be a recommendation to parents. I mean, unless us kids can walk to the theatre, which is quite a ways for us, parents have to drive. So the parents aren't gonna take a kid to a movie that they think is bad for them. And if the kids are 16 and can drive, then they should be old enough to see R movies i think.

In the end the rating system does not work. Firstly, any 13 year old (or 12 if they're lucky) can say they're 14. Hey , they can't ask for ID. How many 14 year olds carry ID? None that I know. And whats with the whole parent has to come with you thing? A parent isn't gonna make a difference to what they see. I'll agree with Travis with the whole lawsuit shield thing. That's probably the reason they do this.

I have to agree with Travis to a degree… I think ratings are partly a safe-guard against lawsuits in the event a movie were to disturb a younger viewer and while I don’t always agree with the rating some movies are given, I’m glad they have them. Children are influenced by what they see and hear and parents need some kind of guide to determine if their child is mature enough not to be influenced in a negative way by an R rated movie. I also think the ratings are beneficial to mature movies goers not only to give them a guide as to what they want to see but to also allow them to see those movies with fewer disruptions. A teen/child’s age does not necessarily reflect their maturity level… can you imagine trying to watch a movie like Original Sin with a group of extremely immature 13 year olds…

And as far as child actors… I think it would be easier for them to understand it is “pretend”… they see the cameras, the director, etc. but a child viewer only sees the finished product making it a little harder for them to separate reality from fantasy…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Three cheers for the Canadian way.
Hurry up and cheer with me while we still can. After all, the words "Canada" and "The 51st State" will be common words to be used together in the same sentence, in the near future.

I can just picture the devil in his - I LUV NAFTA - baby tee.

More on the topic at hand. Television (the idiot box) is a far greater demoralizer than movies. The youth is being turned into an army of brainwashed zombies day by day. Pray for our future.

Travis, you wanna know what's so sad about your last post? It's true!

And it's not only the kids turning into zombies, heck, I think kids today are smarter than ever. It's the grown adults that are tuning in everyday to cable news programs and gorging themselves on what the media whor*s like to call journalism.

It's all slanted speculation fueled by ratings and fear. Where's NPR when you need it?

Er...what was the topic?

There is nothing wrong with a 10 year old seeing an "R" rated movie in my opinion.

Have you ever heard of the Illuminati?

I agree, the media these days is nothing but a freak show (without the tent).

I don't know where these guys get the info for their stories, I guess they just pull it out of their A**. All the stories these days are to make you pro Republican, and pro war.

In the end Bush gets his oil, and shares the profits with Colin Powell, and the brothers Bin laden. (Who all are partnered in the same oil company). Now, I'm sure you can guess why they can't catch Osama.

Off topic.

Hey, I saw dozens of Rated R films before I was 7... and look at me now.

Originally posted by r3port3r66
There is nothing wrong with a 10 year old seeing an "R" rated movie in my opinion.
What about hearing it?

That's where we draw the line SC.

Originally posted by Travis_Bickle
Hey, I saw dozens of Rated R films before I was 7... and look at me now.
I would, but where are you? *puts glasses on* Maybe I should contact a spiritualist/medium.

And what line are you talking about? Where would you draw it?

On Britney Spears Ass.

I'm sure I can tame it.

This is getting very Un-Christian.