Pulp Fiction (1994)

Comedy
Blazing Saddles (1974)
Young Frankenstein (1974)
Airplane! (1980)
Clerks. (1994)

The Wild Bunch (1969)

NOTE SPELLING: "redefined" and "redesigned" are actual words
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Godfather for sure...

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Star Wars (1977)
I would have said that to, but my only arguement there would be looks at 2001: A Space Odyssey that really changed the whole sci-fi/space genre I think.

Originally Posted by Maniac
I would have said that too, but my only arguement there would be looks at 2001: A Space Odyssey that really changed the whole sci-fi/space genre I think.
Yes, and then Star Wars redefined it as fast-paced action fare with mythological archetypes. 2001 made Sci-Fi adult and serious and absolutely changed the look of futurescapes on the big screen. Then Lucas shifted majorly towards popcorn entertainment.

So what're we arguing about?

the Good, the Bad and the Ugly for westerns.

I'll think of more that haven't been mentioned later.
And found he was eating his shoe.

Originally Posted by Sgt. Kabukiman NYPD
Horror
Psycho (1960)
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

War
Apocalypse Now (1979)
Platoon (1986)
Full Metal Jacket (1987)

Crime
The Godfather (1972)
Scarface (1983)
Reservoir Dogs (1992)
Pulp Fiction (1994)

Comedy
Blazing Saddles (1974)
Young Frankenstein (1974)
Airplane! (1980)
Clerks. (1994)
Excellent list! Not that I am disagreeing (sp?) but Reservoir Dogs was a defining moment in crime movie history? Like I said, I'm not disagreeing because it's my 5th favorite movie of all time.

I always thought alot of John Huston films redifined genre's. Like film noir and crime.

sorta like The Asphault Jungle, Treasure of the Sierra Madre and Maltese Falcon.

Stanley Kubrick always redefined films. No matter what genre he was doing.

There is alot to be said for films that changed the way we looked at things.

Originally Posted by led_zeppelin
Excellent list! Not that I am disagreeing (sp?) but Reservoir Dogs was a defining moment in crime movie history? Like I said, I'm not disagreeing because it's my 5th favorite movie of all time.

For me at least it redefined what a crime movie could be like. I think I screwed up on the list and should've put the original Scarface (1932) on there instead of Reservoir Dogs.

Originally Posted by Sgt. Kabukiman NYPD
For me at least it redefined what a crime movie could be like. I think I screwed up on the list and should've put the original Scarface (1932) on there instead of Reservoir Dogs.
No never, keep Reservoir Dogs. Bad rep points if you take it off. I'm kidding, but seriously, if a movie's in my top 5, I defend it to the death.

Is say

1. T2: Judgment Day redefined science fiction movie genre in a stunt capability and CGI fashion. When that terminator came through the windshield of that helicopter. . .wow. I remember at the time watching these exposes explaining how they had never been able to do some of those things on film action wise.

2. Matrix. Not to beat a dead horse, but the Wachowski brother(s? or siblings now that one is becoming a girl) really outdid themselves when they made that movie. Id out the Matrix on the same level of effect on the genre as Star Wars. Much the same as T2. Matrix redefined cinematography (hope I spelled that right). That whole snapshot animation is an idea that is largely used in movies now, and Id have to say that it "revolutionized" the way certain important scenes are shown. The ability to freeze a moment in time from all angles and to pan around the picture 360 degrees, is just. . .well. . .. awesome. It beats slow motion any day.

FRItz LAng's Metropolis, this movie more or less created the science fiction genre and was a master piece of the silver screen. It tookme forever to find the most complete virsion with the origanl orchestra score. it cost me $30 and it was worth every penny of it.

I am thinking that 28 Days Later probably really affected the "contagious disease" films, although....another groundbreaking one was Outbreak.

Id say that a groundbreaking movie for the "video game into movies" genre was Resident Evil. You had others prior (like: Streetfighter, Double Dragon, etc.), but none to quite the level of popularity are RE, and I must say, once RE came out and was successful, the industry has been followed with quite an influx of late 90s/early 2000 video game movies (like: Tomb Raider, upcoming Spyhunter, etc...).

Rustler's Rhapsody

for Horror definatley the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It's the very first slasher movie! I'm pretty sure it was anyway.

no, i think that F13 came b4 it