MoFo Fantasy Football 2016 - The Playoffs

Tools    

...and Montgomery adds another TD, right after Adams dropped an easy score, naturally. 28 points, after not even being in line to start, against a top 10 run defense.

Pretty nuts, and that'll probably do it.

Diggs and Watkins, consensus top 20 plays, are about to finish with fewer than 4 combined points. That sums it all up.

Since my last two players are probably the most important, I'll wait until they've played a bit to "concede," but barring a miracle, my sincere congratulations to Spaulding on his all-but-confirmed advancement to MoFo Bowl IX. Well played.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
...and Montgomery adds another TD, right after Adams dropped an easy score, naturally. 28 points, after not even being in line to start, against a top 10 run defense.

Pretty nuts, and that'll probably do it.
Montgomery was always in line to start for the Packers, unless you mean for Clowns?

Yeah, for the Clowns. He had him on the bench and slotted him in when Starks was ruled out. That, combined with the insanely frigid weather, turned him from a really iffy flex play into a low RB1-high RB 2, and one who happened to get all the scores, too (Rodgers 0 TDs, Montgomery 2). Just a brutal turn of events.

Between this week and last week, so many good players had inexplicably crappy games that I have to think there's been a ton of shake up in nearly every fantasy bracket this year.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Fantasy is as random as ever this year. Julio Jones and Melvin Gordon were studs all year and didn't even play. Stuff like that makes me think we should just toss coins to determine a winner every week.

Sorry to see you eliminated Yoda.

As a protest against correct thinking, I decided to go full-waiver and bench Fitz, Brees, Armani, and Delanie for all those players which outscored them on my bench last week. Funny thing is I was right, except for Brees who outscored Flacco for almost 20 points. I lost anyway. If I had stayed with my "normal starters" Brees wouldnt have been enough to overcome Fab this week as Fitz & the rest underperformed again.

Well, at least I made the playoffs.

Thanks, Tongs. I'm on the verge of losing in the money league, too, but it's close. But there's a good chance by tonight I'll have two teams, which went a combined 22-5 in the regular season and were both the #1 seed, go 0-2 in the playoffs. That's fantasy football in a nutshell.

Let the night air cool you off
Everything comes down to Monday Night Football for me, and in both leagues. I guess that's the way it should be, because stress is healthy.

I think I should win, based on my expert knowledge of the always predictable game of football, but I am not ready to pop the champagne just yet.

I think I should win, based on my expert knowledge of the always predictable game of football, but I am not ready to pop the champagne just yet.
Oh gosh man, those sound like famous last words, dont say that! Confidence and correct calculations have become omens for bad things man.

Seriously though JJ I am rooting for you. Id like to see another old timer win it for the first time.

Thanks, Tongs. I'm on the verge of losing in the money league, too, but it's close. But there's a good chance by tonight I'll have two teams, which went a combined 22-5 in the regular season and were both the #1 seed, go 0-2 in the playoffs. That's fantasy football in a nutshell.
Yeah you definitely are the fantasy sports measuring stick around here. Im gonna do some true bookwork to catch up with you, Tim, and Mark in Baseball this year. For me this is the first time Ive felt where I dont want a Ray (or Buc) on my team. I think Ive finally burnt out my inner-homer flame.

Barring any drastic stat changes, I've lost in the big league and won in the money league. I don't know how I am supposed to win the championship against a player who has Zeke, Le'Veon, and DeMarco though. I guess I'll trot out my pathetic wide receivers and tight ends and hope that Drew Brees and LeSean McCoy can carry me to an upset victory.

Congratulations to Pete and Spaulding for making it to MoFo Bowl IX! I'll try to have a quick write-up on here before too long, if holiday stuff doesn't get in the way.

A system of cells interlinked
Congrats Petey and Spaulding!

Few scattered record book details to illustrate just how bad the scoring's been across the league during the playoffs:
  • My score of 83.62 was the third-lowest in MoFo league playoff history
  • jiraffe's score was the fifth-lowest.
  • Pete's 98.76 points was the second-lowest WINNING playoff score...
  • ...with the lowest of all time being Spaulding's victory last week!
Also, whether the champion is Pete or Spaulding, this will be the first time in league history a champion did not have a single week as the top scoring team during the regular season. If Spaulding wins, he'll set a new mark for lowest scoring rank for a champion (7th), and if Pete wins, he'll tie the existing mark (5th, by LT in 2009). This'll be only the second time someone outside of the top four has won it all, and just the third time someone out of the top two has.

So: the big game.

MoFo Bowl IX

Beantown Champs
vs.
Censored Clowns

Season Recap: Pete started so-so, reeled off seven straight wins, and then limped into the playoffs, not only in terms of losses, but point totals. Turns out he was ahead of the curve, as the league as a whole has put up some pretty ugly numbers since then.

Pete was 5th in points, but distributed them well, ending up with the #2 seed and a Bye. He did this in part because Andrew Luck had a huge MNF game for Spaulding, which caused Fabulous to lose...which saved Pete because it turns out he would've put up a very low total in week 14. So Spaulding saved Pete's season. And now he faces him. Dramatic, no?

Pete returns to the playoffs after a three-year absence. But in that fourth year, he won his only MoFo title.

Spaulding's in his second season, and he's made the playoffs both times, though it was a lot smoother last year when he went 10-3 and had the 3rd highest point total. This year it was 7-6 and the 7th highest, thanks in large part to some early draft busts. But both years he's gotten lots of value off of the waiver wire. The end result has been a team not designed for shootouts, but to weather lean times by avoiding bottoming out, and that's exactly what's been called for the last couple of weeks.

The Matchup: If Pete wins, Tyrod Taylor won't have been the worst QB on a championship team, but he'll be up there. With Bryant having a ho-hum season, Pete doesn't really have anyone who can take over a game, but other than QB there really aren't any significant weaknesses. He might get Gordon back this week (and has a GREAT matchup), Kelley's been a decent bet for a score, and Michael Thomas has been pretty reliable. Taylor's matchup is pretty good, too, and that might be the most important thing: when you have an iffy QB, that matchup can matter a lot. It's very easy for a crappy QB in a great matchup to toss up 20 points and essentially nullify your disadvantage at the position.

On Spaulding's side, pretty much everyone has okay matchups: not great, not bad. The most significant player might be Ty Montgomery, who exploded last week by basically doubling his season high in Chicago, thanks to some frigid weather, an injured Aaron Rodgers, and a concussed James Stark. Might be too much to ask for all that to come together again this week, but most years you get some late season RB named the starter who rampages for a couple of games and wins lots of people their leagues (ala Jerome Harrison). Montgomery could be that guy.

If I'm Spaulding, I'm most worried about Evans, who's put up poor totals two weeks in a row. I'm not sure if that's survivable again without another guy suddenly stepping up in a big way, and you hate to bet on that.

The projections have these two really close. My inkling is:

Prediction: If Gordon plays, I'll take Pete by a hair. Otherwise, Spaulding.