MoFo Turns 16, Gets a Job

Tools    

Yes, another year has come and gone.

This is a big one: not because 16 is a particularly round number, but because at some point between this anniversary and the last one (I haven't calculated exactly which day), I'd been running this site over half my life. More days running MoFo than not. Crazy, right?

I know this isn't literally the longest-running forum on the Internet, but when you exclude amorphous things like newsgroups and stick just to things that are in the same basic format they were from the beginning, the list of sites that have been around this long has got to be pretty short.

Anyway, I talked a bit about this exact topic, and the challenges and benefits of running a forum for such a long time, in a podcast about online communities a few weeks ago.

Thanks again to everyone for being a part of this: the biggest, most important part.

A system of cells interlinked
Amazing! I've not been on the site for its entire run, but I am just a few years short! What a long, always fun and thought provoking, this is still my home away from home on the web.

Thanks for all the fish!

I'm still but a temporary guest in terms of length of stay but I hope to stick around long enough to be able to one day say I've been here half as long as the site has existed

As always - thanks for keeping the show on the road!

You ready? You look ready.
So you're telling me Movie Forums is still a virgin and popping zits?!

"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

It's funny because there are tons of social media sites and yet most of them are anything but social. Especially if you're looking to have discussions with fellow film lovers. I may still be new to this forum but I'm just glad to see it still standing after all these years and thriving even. This forum reminds me of the days when the internet was just a babe and filled with in-depth discussions and actual sense of community. I appreciate what you've accomplished here, Yoda.

Congrats on the accomplishment Yoda! I may have only been here for a year and a half, but I'm glad that I was able to find such an awesome community to be a part of!

Thanks Chris. For so many people to visit and then stay for years is a testimony to your hard work. Not only do you keep the technical side of it updated but you (and the mods) make sure we all play nice. Good work, and may we all have many more years together!

Yoda, I know I've caused you a myriad of headaches since joining your site and I want to publicly apologize for that. What you do here involves detail-oriented work that I couldn't even begin to imagine, but you do it quietly and efficiently without fanfare so that the rest of us have a place to talk about what we love. Congratulations on 16 years and hope the second 16 is a lot easier.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Thank You for all of your hard work creating and maintaining Movie Forums. You do an amazing job.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Let's hope it's still around for another 16 years and many more after that! Thank you so very much, Yoda, and to all of the other mods for all of their dedication and effort! I've loved being here, and I know so so many more have to!

Damn, was that a year ago you let us ask those questions? Happy Anniversary MoFo you're a cool guy

And as i said in your sweet sixteen thread thanks for all the hard work, Yoda

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I think this place really took off on August 20th back in 2005.

Suspect's Reviews

The mix of self-deprecating, self-aggrandizing, and exceedingly kind posts in this thread is a perfect microcosm for the site as a whole. Thanks guys.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Glad I'm here to let everyone know it's ok to match shirt and pant.

Perfect blend of movie and miscellaneous swirled in a great group of people. Thanks Yogurt!

Great place to be in Yoda !! Gave me a chance to expose my movie reviews to the western world. Congratulations to the admin mod team for sixteen years of foruming !!

You better hope I don't make it back.
Congrats Chris and everyone who has helped make MoFo what it is.