The Upgrade Bug Report Thread

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I rarely use my cell phone for this site, but I was using it today and I noticed a few issues on some pages. (Keep in mind that this phone is a ZTE Maven, so it's a very cheap phone, and I wasn't logged in at the time, so you may want to verify these issues with some regular mobile users before changing anything.)

1) The words "Looking for an IMDB replacement?" aren't in the box. They're under it.

2) When looking at the list of threads, the last post time has the word "Ago" twice.

3) In the "Movie Reviews" section, any threads that are in the "Member Reviews' Threads" section don't show up on the list, and there doesn't seem to be a way to get to them.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-02-22-15-56-43.png
Views:	244
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	29041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-02-22-15-57-13.png
Views:	249
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	29042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-02-22-15-57-57.png
Views:	248
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	29043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-02-22-15-58-21.png
Views:	235
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	29044  

Okay, the big stuff should be fixed. IMDB thing might be wonky on the rare screen size, but it's super temporary anyway. Thanks for the reports.

This is weird. I checked the IMDB thing on four different cell phones, and I got four different results. (As I said earlier, I rarely use my cell phones for this site, so don't worry about fixing it just for me. I just wanted to let you know about the issue for your own knowledge. Also, I was NOT signed in on any of the phones.)

The ZTE Maven hasn't changed. It's still under the box. (See picture above.)

Then I checked it on a Samsung Galaxy Express 3, and it's also under the box.

Then I checked it on a Samsung Galaxy Express Prime, and it's correctly in the box, but notice the placement of the words "Show Member Review Threads".

Then I checked it on a Samsung Galaxy 6, and it's not on the page at all.

I also checked the Movie Reviews section, and it works on all the phones, and the words look the same on all four phones, but they're not in the box properly. This is the words "Show Member Review Threads" on the Samsung Galaxy Express 3 phone.

Attachments

Name:	Samsung Galaxy Express 3 - IMDB.png
Views:	211
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	29056   Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung Galaxy Express.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	29057   Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung Galaxy 6.png
Views:	206
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	29058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung Galaxy Express 3 - Movie Reviews.png
Views:	218
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	29059  

Re: not seeing it on one. That's probably the device you're logged in on. It's only showing up for new members.

Thanks for the reports on the Member Review Threads button. This stuff is very tricky since screen sizes differ so much, but I should have that fixed today.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Edit - NEVER MIND, IGNORE THIS POST.

Am I the only one getting this?

Attachments

Name:	background.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	29070  

Suspect's Reviews

Re: not seeing it on one. That's probably the device you're logged in on. It's only showing up for new members.

Yeah, that was Hubby's phone. I didn't know that he was signed in, but he said that he just never logs out.

Okay, overrode the font size for that button, and bumped the IMDB one down too even though it'll be gone soon. Should be good, I hope.

The "Members Reviews" button is good now, but the IMDB one is still under the box when the phone is held vertically, but I noticed that it fixes itself when I turn the phone horizontally.

It's probably not worth fixing it if the button will be gone soon.

This morning I noticed something odd going on:

Subscribed threads, with new activity that I just viewed are not being removed from my Subscribed Threads list under User CP. I clicked on each subscribed thread, then came back to User CP and the same threads were still there.

Previously when I'd viewed all of my subscribed threads with new activity, the list would be empty (until the next new post occurred).

This morning I noticed something odd going on:

Subscribed threads, with new activity that I just viewed are not being removed from my Subscribed Threads list under User CP. I clicked on each subscribed thread, then came back to User CP and the same threads were still there.

Previously when I'd viewed all of my subscribed threads with new activity, the list would be empty (until the next new post occurred).
I've been playing with thread marking options: for most of the site's history, it was visit-based. Then, when I ran into some issues with the Goto New Post links not working right, I switched to instant thread marking. Lately I (think I) fixed the New Post thing, but it involved going to back to the old visit-based system.

Put another way: it should work when your visit is over when you come back, which you can simulate by hitting Mark Forums read. It just won't be instantaneous during your visit, but this should be how it used to work all the time, anyway. Just not for the last couple of months, or however long it's been, while I was trying to debug the Ne Posts problem.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I've noticed on and off this morning that pages are very slow to open. Is that because you're tweaking things, Yods? Not whining; just curious.

Unlikely. And the server's purring pretty much all the time, so my best guess, apart from the admittedly glib sounding "maybe it's you" dismissal, is that it might be one of our DNS connections through CloudFlare, which speeds a lot of stuff up but might randomly be wonky for certain geographic locations.

...it should work when your visit is over when you come back, which you can simulate by hitting Mark Forums read. It just won't be instantaneous during your visit, but this should be how it used to work all the time, anyway. Just not for the last couple of months, or however long it's been, while I was trying to debug the Ne Posts problem.
That's too bad, I liked it the other way. I had come to rely on checking Subscribed threads to see if there was new post in them.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Unlikely. And the server's purring pretty much all the time, so my best guess, apart from the admittedly glib sounding "maybe it's you" dismissal, is that it might be one of our DNS connections through CloudFlare, which speeds a lot of stuff up but might randomly be wonky for certain geographic locations.

Thanks boss. And that's not glib. Our lines did seem to get hit very hard with the heatwave. I'll ask Mr D when he gets up.

That should still work, no? It doesn't style them slightly differently after you've read them? It does on New Posts, I believe.
Yes, that worked. I liked it the other way better, but not a big deal I guess. Thanks

Sorry about that. I didn't expect anyone would become reliant on the setting change while I was trying to fix the problem. If it helps, I can look at making the styling more obvious (if that is, indeed, also going on on the Subscriptions page; I don't recall offhand).

EDIT: I checked, and it does style them differently. So if you prefer to use that page, you still can. They won't disappear when you've read them, but you should still be able to see, at a glance, which ones you've already read.

Preemptively, yeah, I'm aware of all the weird display issues: we're switching to https (more secure), so things are gonna be wonky for a bit while I track all the little issues down. Hold tight for now; I'm probably aware of whatever problems you guys run into. But let me know if anything BIG, like basic reading or posting, is broken.