Spider-man 2 Review Thread

→ in
Tools    

Originally Posted by reservoirdogs
sry about the replys but you mean to tell me you can't lay motionless in the water for a total of a two second clip without blinking? you must have parkenson's

hi guys

first off i loved the movie , but there were some things that had me a little dissapointed ,why did they kill off doc oc ... they could of had a ****load of villians to chose from if he lived and formed the "sinister six" now that would have been great! and y did everyone get to see his real idenity ...i was like "put ur damn mask back on spidey" and ya WHY the green goblin 2 please noooooo i hated the first costume where was the damn green and purple suit , its not like he was from the future or any thing .... but it was an amazing movie and i cant wait for # 3
about the villians PLEASE bring icrazy fool RHINO i loved him just even have a cameo of him run through the city walls with a bag of money or something that would be great!! but if they were to go the venom route that would be absolutly phenomenal and i agree with the guy before brock lesner would be a great venom

Originally Posted by Zzat
ummmmm i believe at the End Doc Ock became good and saved New York. and he is dead he lies motionless in the water with his eyes open not blinking. Thats the end of Doc Ock. Hmmm you ever realize in the spider-man movies Spider-Man always Reveled himself to every villian.
It's kind of like that in the new spiderman comics that recently started over from the beginning. It seems every tom, dick, and harry know his identity. Kind of comedic actually.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Originally Posted by Z-Meister
Look, when you hurl a 3000 to 4000 lbs car into a cafe, you expect someone to get killed. He knew Peter was in the cafe, that's why he went there to begin with. Trust me, just shattering the glass window is enough to get Peter's attention. I'm no scientist but hurling a car is meant to kill someone. If Peter wasn't spiderman, he would be DEAD! Like you said, he was not supposed to kill Peter -- throwing a car dead center at the cafe contradicts that order.
He was a mad scientist seduced by his new power...

If you're gonna point that out you might as well point out when he threw the vault door and Peter dodged that one as well.

Maybe he knew Peter was in the cafe, just not where. Its not like it was aimed at Peter, it was aimed at the window. The line Doc Ock says following that sequence would not have been as impactful had he not thrown a ****ing car through the window.

And his name is Bruce Campbell, not Ash. And he is, for the record, the man.

Originally Posted by OG-
...And his name is Bruce Campbell, not Ash. And he is, for the record, the man.

You should join an Ash..ahem, excuse me Bruce Campbell forum / fanclub as well.

Originally Posted by reservoirdogs
sry about the replys but you mean to tell me you can't lay motionless in the water for a total of a two second clip without blinking? you must have parkenson's
Well my brother works in the Movie Theaters and i got to see spider-man a couple of times. If you notice Doc Ock was motionless plus you can see that his Tentacles had a blue light. As they zoomed out of the scene where Doc Ock is laying motionless in the water and that blue light goes out. Those tentacles are connected to his brain. I guess when he died the tentacles died too. But believe what you want. I'm thinking hes dead and nice Avatar Reservoir Dogs never saw the movie but im planning too next week end... and Umm OG- is right please stop calling him ash....Its not Evil Dead... Bruce was known as The Snooty Usher in Spider-Man 2

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Originally Posted by jrs
You should join an Ash..ahem, excuse me Bruce Campbell forum / fanclub as well.
Don't mock the glory that is Bruce Campbell.

Your Puuuur-fect Movie Companion!
Originally Posted by rogers guy
and y did everyone get to see his real idenity ...i was like "put ur damn mask back on spidey"
I was the same way too, almost thought it was intentional too (like to have sharper Spider senses without the mask on) till I watched the movie for a 2nd time and realised that he seems to have thought he had the mask on, and forgot all about removing it at that point. That I can accept. But why he had to remove the mask when speaking to Doc Ock deludes me, unless it's 'cos he'd completely run out of ideas. Just seemed like he didn't try anything else before choosing to reveal his identity - which I thought was a bit unprofessional for a "masked vigilante".

Also I don't think Doc Ock intentionally threw the car at the cafe where Peter and Mary Jane was in. You realise after the car is flung, Peter and Mary stand there confused, and all there is is the thumping sound but no Doc Ock till a few secs later? If he wasn't there to see Peter in the cafe at the moment the car was flung, it was probably just an accident. Also you notice how he smashes Peter into the wall right before leaving with Mary Jane? Any regular person could've been killed in that impact. But it only goes to show how Doc Ock hasn't gained full control of his strength or his arms, or maybe he just doesn't bother.

OK that kitty guy talks alot of sence and I just wanna say that I loved the movie and Raimi has done an increddible job converting spidey into a great sieries of films. I believe that he will realise and know what is right for the next spidey film (along with good ol' Stan Lee).

******************************************************There are some small spoilers here but nothin that aint seen in the trail or nothin unknown by a spidey fan!!!

I personaly trust these guys to deliver as I feel that they each have ALOT more knowledge of spider-man than any of us. I mean come on Stan Lee is the man.

Anyway I do think that Doc throwing the car was a bit silly but it gave a great effect both (Great CGI) whilst making the whole scene realy tense and thrilling. And anyway it's a comic book movie things are just a bit silly in these but these things a what makes us love the films, comics, etc. I mean how do the people close to Peter not know that he is Spider-man because he talks to them and everythin!

Also can somebody please tell me where the hell does the web come from? I know it comes from his wrists as we see in the first film and just obviously anyway I mean there aren't any wholes or anythin in his suit. This is never made clear or has it? 'Cause even when he cant shoot he looks at his wrist and we can't see whats goin' on their.

We do get many views of his wrist and on the main poster where he is jumping towards us about to shoot some web we cant see how the web can get out. Can the web just go through his suit? And in the comics does Peter make a web shooting gadget or somethin'?

Also thats a pretty expensive looking suit with some high tech (seeming) materials. How could Peter possiby make this thing?

And yes the chip on the back of Dock Ocs' neck is a bit too fragile and unprotected for my liking (As someone already mentioned). But the tentacles could simply be a prototype or somethin.

And yes as someone else pointed out the tentacles are an amazing invention of their own which don't get much praise. (Someone else also brought this up)

Anyway these aspects of the film may seem a bit silly but this is just the nature of a comic book movie and I like some of these. I have just took some things that people have said which have gotten me thinking and thoughts of my own. I'm not trying to steal anyone's thunder or act like a "know it all" and try to take over someone else's thread I just wanna bring up some more points and ask some questions whilst letting out some thoughts of mine.

Also the whole Venom being that guy (sorry just suddenly forgot his name you know who I mean anyway) idea is great. The type of thing that I'm gonna be tellin' everyone which I couldn't think of myself. Don't ya jus' love this site!

Well I'm rambling on a bit here and Im sorry but I am just so excited after watching the movie JUST A FEW HOURS AGO! I was counting the days and the hours since I first viewed the trailer on this site.

Again Im sorry for the rambling with the spelling and grammer (I typed this realy fast) but what a great movie!

Raimi definately delivered and I'm sure that he will again with Spider-man 3

+ "Hellboy" looks realy crappy and stupid especialy when compared to the Spidey movies (although I aint' seen Hellboy yet it just looks crap)

Oh and when was the Stan Lee camio? I didn't notice it.

Originally Posted by KenkamaniaV1
I mean how do the people close to Peter not know that he is Spider-man because he talks to them and everythin!
I expect it's the suit that muffles the voice. It's hard to tell especially when he's strained (fighting the bad guys). Like how kidnappers put a cloth over the receiver and nobody can recognize them by their voice.
Also can somebody please tell me [b]where the hell does the web come from?
LOL Good point there ken. It probably comes out of the suit I guess. They should've made him leave a hole or something in the wrist area of his suit. Something else I was thinking about is how he sticks to the walls when he's got his suit on? Do the micro-hooks on his fingers penetrate the material?

Also thats a pretty expensive looking suit with some high tech (seeming) materials. How could Peter possiby make this thing?
Another good point. I was wondering that myself, and especially since his suit gets burnt, torn and shredded so many times in the two movies. Another thing... spoilers below...
WARNING: "Spider-Man 2" spoilers below
In SM 2 we get a look in his closet and there's only one suit, so if one is torn, how does he make another so quickly?
Also in SM 2, his suit is found in the dump and immediately J. Jonah Jameson knows it is THE Spider-Man's suit. Why doesn't he think someone made one similar or bought it from the shop or something... there'd probably be plenty of Spider-Man suits in halloween costume shops. After all the guy in the lift seemed to be un-shaken, and it seemed like he believed it was just a regular man in a Spider-Man costume. So surely there must've been imitation suits around in the city.

+ "Hellboy" looks realy crappy and stupid especialy when compared to the Spidey movies (although I aint' seen Hellboy yet it just looks crap)
It was total crap. I actually felt stupid being in that theatre - And I don't usually feel stupid watching even kiddie shows like The Tigger Movie! Come'on - nazis as villains has been done before and getting old. And the son of Satan - a cigar smoking red guy with a giant left arm and two sawed horns as your typical hero? Only the guy with fins was somewhat interesting. Oh and the rest of it just felt like old fashioned WW2 propaganda - the allies are good godly self-sacrificing guys while the axis powers are evil, satanic and their hobbies are messing with black magic and reviving the dead/monsters for their sinister bidding. Thanks for reminding me... I completely left this out of the thread - 10 worst films of the year.

btw, I'm female

"Never let a dog pick what you watch."

Oh and when was the Stan Lee camio? I didn't notice it.

the part when DOck Oc and spidey are fighting on the building and he is trying to save Aunt May. some of the building breaks and falls to the ground and almost htis this woman but Stan Lee runs in and pulls her away saving her life.

Originally Posted by MichaelMyers
the part when DOck Oc and spidey are fighting on the building and he is trying to save Aunt May. some of the building breaks and falls to the ground and almost htis this woman but Stan Lee runs in and pulls her away saving her life.
I completely missed that, thanx

Thanx to you to KittyJunkie some more interesting things raised there.

Although the movies do have flaws I still feel as if they are perfect in a wierd way, if that makes any sence at all.

Oh, and sorry for not relising that you could be a female feline.

A system of cells interlinked
Gotta jump in here....

Just a quick reminder to try not to double (or triple) post. Try and consolidate all replies into one post like Kitty did.

As for the comments... I think Doc had absolute and complete control over his arms, as he wouldn't have attempted the experiment otherwise. Also, he catches a wine glass without breaking it, clearly not a clumsy move.

In the first film they show that Peter has some growths on his wrists (new glands maybe) where the webs come from. This was an intentional change by Stan Lee. He claims back in the 60s the comic would never have made it onto the stands if he didn't add the web shooters to the suit (to weird with the glands he claims).

As for Batman zipping in and drop kicking an innocent doorman who was only doing his job, I highly doubt that. Batman would NEVER uses violence on an innocent, even an annoying one.

Re: Hellboy I found this to be a wonderful sci fi flick. All the reasons some have listed as to why it is bad, are why I consider it head and shoulders better than many poorly crafted hero flicks (Daredevil, The Hulk, Shumacher Batman, Superman III and IV, The Punisher, the list goes on). Ron Perlman's character is extremely original. He was compassionate, funny, and convincing. I kind of have to agree with Kitty (you seem like a cool cat btw) about the nazi thing being overdone. However, I see many attacking Spidey II for slight deviation from the comics, and Hellboy was just sticking to it's source material. I applaud Del Toro for his work on Hellboy, and will watch it again when it hits DVD, as it is dripping with original style. The effects in this film were great as well, if not a bit on the slimy side.

Scope out my review thread in the film review section for more thoughts on Hellboy if interested in another angle. I think Beale also posted a stellar review of the film, citing some other interesting ideas.

Spidey II is top notch though, and if they bring doc back, I will be disappointed. Time for something new (Venom please). I think they will use the Ultimate version of Venom if they go that route though ,and have it be a creation of Peter's father that he stumbles upon and attempts to get back into researching (Bio-suit to help in the fight against cancer).

Xol
I think the movie was excellent in every aspect of the word. The plot was witty, had moments of genuine comedy ( I laughed so damn hard when Peter fell from the roof, holy ****! ) and moved at a decent pace. I have no complaints with this movie except for the obvious loopholes that you have to go through to make a Movie adaption of a comic book. Overall it was a perfect 10/10.

I've been hearing some rumors of Venom being in the third movie. Rest assured, these are just rumors. The story of the symbiote suit would take up a huge section of the movie and not leave much room for The Lizard or Green Goblin #2. Since these will probably be the main villians in the third and final movie. That's right, it's only a triology.

And to all those people who said the movie's haven't been faithful to the comic books. Your ****ing retarded. Of course they can't make them exact, you think they can fit thousands of hours of reading time into roughly 8 hours of movie time? C'mon...gimme a brake. They had done a fantastic job thus far and I believe the third will be 100X better than the second. With Stan Lee and Sam Raimi at the helm, nothing can go wrong.

Originally Posted by Xol

And to all those people who said the movie's haven't been faithful to the comic books. Your ****ing retarded.

Originally Posted by Xol
C'mon...gimme a brake.
These statements go well together....

Originally Posted by Sedai
All the reasons some have listed as to why it is bad, are why I consider it head and shoulders better than many poorly crafted hero flicks (Daredevil, The Hulk, Shumacher Batman, Superman III and IV, The Punisher, the list goes on). Ron Perlman's character is extremely original. He was compassionate, funny, and convincing. I kind of have to agree with Kitty (you seem like a cool cat btw) about the nazi thing being overdone. However, I see many attacking Spidey II for slight deviation from the comics, and Hellboy was just sticking to it's source material. I applaud Del Toro for his work on Hellboy, and will watch it again when it hits DVD, as it is dripping with original style. The effects in this film were great as well, if not a bit on the slimy side.
Sorry for rambling on so harshly about Hellboy Sedai, I admit I haven't read a Hellboy comic so I didn't see it in that angle. You are right about the film needing to stick to the source material first of all. I totally agree... and I was as disappointed as you with those superhero movies you've described as poorly crafted.

I love superhero films, and often expect a lot out of them - especially after landmark films like the first two Batman movies, Superman, X-Men, Spider-Man and even Zorro. There is just so much potential for these films to snag a blockbuster judging from how popular the comics already are. Like making a film about Michael Jackson or Britney Spears - the directors don't exactly need to introduce their character too much since it has already been introduced via other means. They only need to portray it well, or to convert to screen a comic bestseller. It's just surprising sometimes how people can turn such a perfectly crafted character into such a major flop (on the top of my list; Schumacher's Batman).

So I'm very glad that Spider-Man has done so very well where so many others have failed - despite the minor discrepancies. I agree with Ken that its flaws make it somewhat perfect in a strange way. But every little mistake is a good chance for improvement in the third movie, because the audience is just gonna expect more and more from Sam Raimi. Let's hope our humble suggestions go towards the refining process of the film so that Spider-Man 3 can outdo part 2, as amazingly impossible that is!

ps: Sedai, you'd probably appreciate the Hellboy site I did for my company while the film was running http://www.planetmg.com/NewProd/promo/Hellboy/ Enjoy!

Right on! And no need to apologize, we are here to discuss!
I am at work right now and don't have the time to scope out your work for long, but it looks mint!! I like the control panel interface on the main page....

I also loved the X-men stuff....

Yeah nice site Kitty