Top Gun - Best high flying movie...ever??

Tools    

Has there been a high flying, high action, fighter craft movie since Top Gun?? I loved the F-14s in that movie and have never found a movie that can match since then. Behind Enemy Lines had one scene, but it was a. Just one scene and b. wasn't as good as Top Gun.

I'm sure you guys have your opinions, so let's hear them!

Iron Eagle was smokin':

Has there been a high flying, high action, fighter craft movie since Top Gun?? I loved the F-14s in that movie and have never found a movie that can match since then. Behind Enemy Lines had one scene, but it was a. Just one scene and b. wasn't as good as Top Gun.

I'm sure you guys have your opinions, so let's hear them!
I always preferred the prop jobs to jets myself--the piston-engined aircraft of World War II or earlier. Those planes had personality and so did their pilots. Jets have become just flying computers with nerdy crews; at some point in the future, it will all be drones that can be built smaller and faster without a human crew.

A system of cells interlinked
This fits in with Ruf's post a bit...

Stealth
(Some bad director, some recent year)

I sat through maybe 30 minutes of this thing. Terrible film. It did have a lot of fighter action though...

Firefox (Eastwood, 1982) - My least favorite Eastwood film. Pretty cool plane, though. At least, it was then.

Okay, so Iron Eagle wasn't half bad.....

But it didn't match up to Top Gun according to me.

Stealth was okay, but it could've been SOOOOO much better! It had insane potentials, but they ruined it all.

I'm not much for the old prop planes.... They are too boring and not loud enough.... i'm the child of the 21st century haha

Does Star Wars count?

If so then there's no contest.

I would take Han and Chewie (or Luke by himself) over Goose and Maverick any day.

http://truemoviereview.com/top-10s/t...is-summer-2008

Naw man... hahaha can't compare it to Star Wars....

We're talking about REAL airplanes, not mini models haha

OK, last time I watched Top Gun I turned it off, not because it's an ultra-slick 2-hour armed-forces commercial, but because I just couldn't handle all the broody macho self-pity bs from Tom Cruise's character. Ben Stiller's parody in Mystery Men of the creepy "I'm an insecure baby under a tough loner exterior, everyone pay attention to me" vibe that pervades a lot of macho characters was spot on and was a good antidote for me to how wretched Top Gun made me feel. Maybe girls dig that and I'm a little jealous, but whatever the reasons, movies like that, where the main character is some super hot-shot who the writers come up with all sorts of reasons to make suffer in a transparent ploy to make them look more sensitive and "deep" really, really irritate me.

That said, if you don't have any aversion to anime, you might want to check out some entries from the Macross franchise. I think Macross Plus (movie or miniseries) is the most Top Gun-esque, but my favorite is the original series and movie, "Do You Remember Love?" It's about Earth being destroyed by warring races of alien giants (one race is male and the other is female). The human survivors are stranded in deep space in a giant alien fortress which becomes a sort of exiled city. They fly fighter jets that transform into robots. They wage a propaganda war against the aliens by blasting insipid pop music (complete with a giant holographic pop-idol) at them during battle (which, I guess, makes them remember love). It never fully makes sense, and though that might be expected from a movie that condenses 36 episodes into a couple hours, the original series never fully made sense either (the aliens wanted our "protoculture", which I think had something to do with male/female reproduction but I never fully understood because they sometimes vaguely talk about it as a tangible commodity). Anyway, yes, Macross is a must see.

I'm trying to think of good movies with real airplanes but I guess I haven't seen too many that weren't already mentioned. I will take Iron Eagles under advisement, as "breaking the speed barrier" is a fun bit of nonsense.

Maybe girls dig that

Not this girl... The only thing I like about Top Gun are the jet scenes... particularly where they land and take off the aircraft carrier... which I've always thought was just cool... even on the history channel... and I also like part of the soundtrack....

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Without a doubt, Top Gun rocks the scene where Maverick gives 'the bird' flying upside down is a classic

OK, last time I watched Top Gun I turned it off, not because it's an ultra-slick 2-hour armed-forces commercial, but because I just couldn't handle all the broody macho self-pity bs from Tom Cruise's character. Ben Stiller's parody in Mystery Men of the creepy "I'm an insecure baby under a tough loner exterior, everyone pay attention to me" vibe that pervades a lot of macho characters was spot on and was a good antidote for me to how wretched Top Gun made me feel. Maybe girls dig that and I'm a little jealous, but whatever the reasons, movies like that, where the main character is some super hot-shot who the writers come up with all sorts of reasons to make suffer in a transparent ploy to make them look more sensitive and "deep" really, really irritate me.

I'm trying to think of good movies with real airplanes but I guess I haven't seen too many that weren't already mentioned. I will take Iron Eagles under advisement, as "breaking the speed barrier" is a fun bit of nonsense.
I thought I was the only one who thought that about "Bottom Gun."

Real airplanes you want? How's about...

http://www.sizzlequiz.com/SelectFreeGame.aspx?c=Movies

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
I liked the scenes in Independance Day

Movie Forums Extra
The only reason I wouldn't feel comfortable about comparing Star Wars with Top Gun is that in space there is no oxygen, or gravity so you can do things there you can't do in a regular plane. Which means you have more creative license with a space movie than you would with an airplane based movie.

This fits in with Ruf's post a bit...

Stealth (Some bad director, some recent year)

I sat through maybe 30 minutes of this thing. Terrible film. It did have a lot of fighter action though...

Firefox (Eastwood, 1982) - My least favorite Eastwood film. Pretty cool plane, though. At least, it was then.
Probably the best mock-up of an airplane's controls and instrumentation I ever saw in a film was in Dr. Strangelove with the interior of that US bomber. Needless to say, the Air Force didn't like a film about an Air Force general going nuts and ordering a preemptive strike on Russia, so they didn't cooperate with production of that film, which meant no loan of a real bomber to shoot scenes inside. However, I understand from some people who know what the inside of one of those bombers looks like, and they said that set was very close to the real thing.

Okay, so Iron Eagle wasn't half bad.....

But it didn't match up to Top Gun according to me.

Stealth was okay, but it could've been SOOOOO much better! It had insane potentials, but they ruined it all.

I'm not much for the old prop planes.... They are too boring and not loud enough.... i'm the child of the 21st century haha
Obviously, you're not a pilot. But if you want to see a flim that is more like real Navy combat pilots than Top Gun, check out William Holden in The Bridges of Toko-ri. The very best film about hot shot pilots, however, is The Right Stuff, especially the part about Chuck Yeager, an old "prop-job" pilot who was the first man to break the sound barrier. Me, I'm not so turned on by combat jets--my favorite flying films are about commercial aircraft--No Highway in the Sky, The Crowded Sky, Fate is the Hunter, and especially The High and the Mighty.

The Aviator

It was good.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Are you crazy? I'd much rather watch a guy pee in a cup than watch a bunch of dudes playing volleyball without shirts.

Top Gun is not a good movie. I'd like to explain why, but I'm on my way out. Maybe I'll come grace you with my knowledge when I get back.

Personally, there were a couple of things about the movie that really bugged me. One was the female love interest who looked so much older than Cruse that their love scenes looked like child molestations. What bugged me most about her is that we are supposed to believe that this woman in high heels who has never been in military service nor--if I remember correctly--has ever flown military fighters herself is somehow an expert on not only US but Soviet fighter aircraft. Think about it: You're about to strap on a jet that flies 2-3 times the speed of sound and in sudden manuvers pulls maybe 20 times as much Gs as you'll ever experience on earth's surface and you're going out to face another highly trained pilot in a high performance jet and match rockets in a do-or-die fight to the death. And your instructor says, "Trust me--I've read every book ever written about these airplanes and have memorized all of the theories." I don't think so!

The other thing is that their Top Gun training is rushed up at the end and they don't even have time for a graduation ceremony because they've got to rush off for a major confrontation with--the Lybians???? A country whose only enemy aircraft kills came from putting a bomb on a civilian airliner? Besides, what was so special about this particular graduating class, other than it had Tom Cruse? Where were the pilots from the 999 other classes who had already been through the Top Gun school? Maybe they had all crashed trying to fly the lady instructor's theories.