At $16/month, is IMDbPro worth it?

Tools    

I use IMDb all the time so I was wondering if IMDbPro, at $16 per month, is a worthwhile expense? Anyone here buck up for their "Pro" level access? If so, do you like it? The cost seems a little high to me.

BTW, I'm not real keen on IMDb's new format that was installed not too long ago. It seems like you just get comfortable with navigating a website and they go and "improve" it.

there's a frog in my snake oil
What would you be looking for from the pro account? I've always assumed it was mainly for those who want to massage their profile etc. Are you after the forum access?

(PS this site is going 3D in November)

I looked a little further into it and I don't think I really need the following services:

Find Showbiz Contacts

Contact Listings for over 80,000 people and 30,000 companies in the entertainment industry.
View Larger

Find a Job. Promote Yourself.

Add a Resume, Headshot, and up to 100 photos to your IMDb page. Browse hundreds of casting notices and job listings.
View Larger

Track Films In Production

In Production Listings for over 12,000 films and television projects from development to post-production.

What would you be looking for from the pro account? I've always assumed it was mainly for those who want to massage their profile etc. Are you after the forum access?
Yes. I see now that the "Pro" access is not for me -- it seems to be for those actually in the movie business. That explains the $16 a month.

You can send the $16 our way & we can make your experience here at MoFo worthwhile!!!

Also, with Pro I believe you can add Movie Connections, Trivia, etc...
You can use the forums free of cost... just enter your cellphone no. & they instantly message you a confirmation code..

You can send the $16 our way & we can make your experience here at MoFo worthwhile!!!
Well, I feel that between this site and free IMDb, I can learn just about everything I need to know about movies I haven't yet seen. What I've been doing is getting recommendations/references from this site for movies then going to IMDb to check them out further to see if I really want to invest the time watching them. I already have a list of a half-dozen or so movies that I plan to see -- I just have to decide if I want to buy them, rent them, or just wait till they are on cable.

Paying $16.00 per month for forum access is highway robbery!
I agree. But it does seem that there are other services, but mainly for those in the movie industry:

- Showbiz contacts
- Job listings
- Resume postings
- Tracking films in production

I'm just a movie lover -- not in it as a profession.

IMDB sucks anyway.... The world needs a new Movie database website.
I wouldn't go that far. Not real fond of the new format.

But I can get lost in the IMDb database (I know, that's redundant ). I start with a movie, then click on an actor, actress, or director, and then click on another movie, then another actor, etc. Soon, a half-hour has gone by. But I can also get lost in wikipedia.

That happens to me as well... I like the way Wiki has arranged the film in lists.
Fictional characters that smoke, are vegetarian, etc...

I get the new IMDB format at home, but in the office it's the old one.. & I have permanently logged in both he places.

I always found it a bit silly to complain about "free" things. I am not saying that I myself do not do it, but hey I am a silly guy. OTOH, if free is as good as or just slightly less attractive than the paid version (and this goes for anything) then why pay? There is a hooker/whore joke in here somewhere, but it eludes me atm.

I always found it a bit silly to complain about "free" things. I am not saying that I myself do not do it, but hey I am a silly guy. OTOH, if free is as good as or just slightly less attractive than the paid version (and this goes for anything) then why pay? There is a hooker/whore joke in here somewhere, but it eludes me atm.
I'm not sure I understand. I wasn't complaining about (free) IMDb. Oh, maybe a bit about the new format but, come on, I don't think my complaining about the new format would be considered excessive.

Also, when I'm bombarded with dozens of ads while viewing a "free" site, I think it's time to label it something other than a "free" website. I'm "paying" for the use of the site -- just not with money.

I'm not sure I understand. I wasn't complaining about (free) IMDb. Oh, maybe a bit about the new format but, come on, I don't think my complaining about the new format would be considered excessive.

Also, when I'm bombarded with dozens of ads while viewing a "free" site, I think it's time to label it something other than a "free" website. I'm "paying" for the use of the site -- just not with money.

Was not talking about you, so sry if it came of that way - and I can see why it did. I shoot thoughts off the cuff a lot and I should have explained better. It just reminded me of what I was talking about, but certainly I was not trying to accuse you of thus.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
I like IMDB -- very helpful when I'm watching something on TV and see an actor and get that, "where the hell have I seen them before?" thing--gotta look it up so I can enjoy the rest of the flick.

16 bucks though? That's pretty pricey IMO, even for the contacts. I'd first google the entertainment industry and see if they even use the service for casting, etc. Could just be a way for the headshots, git-yer-teeth-straightened, acting class, etc businesses to target aspiring actors. Depends how legit it is within the industry.

Yeah, it's a good site. But it's already a good site without extra goodies, at least for me. Sometimes I do feel an urge to post on a forum or two, but it's not very often. People are usually there to say what I wanted to say anyways.

Bluray Collector!
I use IMDB all the time and not enough Blurays use the feature of in movie searching - I believe that is on the Wolverine Bluray...got to rent that just to see if it works how I would imagine it to.