The Room Next Door

Tools    

This is such wonderful news! Sony Pictures Classics has picked up Pedro Almodovar's next movie, The Room Next Door,, starring Julianne Moore and Tilda Swinton!

Sony Pictures Classics is reuniting with Pedro Almodovar and will release the cinematic legend’s first English-language feature film, “The Room Next Door.”

The indie studio announced it has acquired all rights in North America, the Middle East, India, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand to the film, which is set to star Oscar winners Julianne Moore and Tilda Swinton, along with John Turturro. The film will begin shooting this March in New York and Madrid. Almodovar has been thinking of directing an English-language feature for some time — at one point, he considered making 2016’s “Julieta” with Meryl Streep.

The news about the distribution deal is wholly expected (it would be more shocking if Almodovar found a different partner). That’s because Sony Pictures Classics has released nearly all of Almodovar’s movies. Most recently, it oversaw the distribution of “Parallel Mothers,” which earned an Oscar nomination for Penélope Cruz. It also released his short films “Strange Way of Life” and “The Human Voice.” The studio and Almodovar collaborated on the likes of “Pain and Glory,” “All About My Mother” and “Volver.”

“The Room Next Door” is produced by Almodóvar’s company, El Deseo. The director says the film is “about a very imperfect mother and her resentful daughter, who live separate lives because of a profound misunderstanding.”
I've been a fan of Almodovar's since the late 80s, and have followed his every movie ever since. It's amazing that he's still cranking out such excellent movies, and I'm more than curious about his English-language feature debut. (He's already cranked out a short film in English, which is quite good and highly recommended, especially for fans of Pedro Pascal).

Cast keeps getting better!