Skepsis' Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Hey guys! Thought I might give this review thread thing a proper crack, see if I can spark some discussion on movies I consider to be under-exposed, under-appreciated, personal favorites or something new I watched recently.

Hope you enjoy!

Ratings
to

TRUST (2010)
Directed by David Schwimmer
Starring Liana Liberato, Clive Owen & Catherine Keener

David Schwimmer's latest directorial outing marks a significant departure from his debut, 2007's Run Fatboy Run. Trust follows the course of events leading up to and surrounding the sexual assault of a 14-year-old girl, and tackles the issue at hand with admirable sensitivity, as well as the realism necessary to deliver its vital message. As a film, though, it is not without its flaws.

The problems I have mostly surround the script. As a narrative it is solid, if not brilliant, but the dialogue is littered with cliches, and moments that should have been handled subtely are delivered with surprising obviousness - at one point to an extent where I felt my intelligence as a viewer was almost being insulted.

To give a great performance on the back of a great script is one thing, but to accomplish this with a mediocre one, and at only 15, is another thing altogether. Liana Liberato gives an ashtonishing performance here as the innocent if naive teenager Annie Cameron, whose emotional turmoil is seen just as clearly as you would see from an accomplished actor twice her age. It's a remarkably mature turn and I commend her for staying away from typical teenage roles - she could be one to watch for the future.

Solid support is provided from Catherine Keener (who, as far as I know does a good job in everything she's in) as Annie's mother, Lynn and Clive Owen as her grief-stricken, loyal but misguided dad, Will. Both characters are developed well and we see the division the situation causes between the two parents in full detail as Will misdirects his energy in the form of anger towards the criminal when he should be focussing on supporting his daughter.
There is a genuine emotional depth to this film, and some truly powerful moments. The characters we discover are very much real, as is the world they live in. As a viewer, it was easy for me to become emotionally invested in these characters, something which I feel great directing helped to achieve.

Ultimately, the conclusion I have to draw about Trust is that it is a very good movie - but one prevented from being great at the hands of a script with definite room for improvement. Great performances from pretty much the entire cast, helped in no small way by Schwimmer's skillful directing allowed me to push past this and enjoy it, but it is unfortunately not the truly powerful contemporary drama it had the potential to be. See it for the message if nothing else.
Verdict:

A system of cells interlinked
Thanks for the review!

Twas a good read.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Well done on starting up a reviews thread for yourself Skepsis. And nice review on Trust even if I've never heard of it! Passed me by somehow

Funnily enough I had actually been meaning to suggest you give it a try for the last few days now. Just as you seemed to be watching and rating quite a few films and did quite well at times detailing why you loved particular films

By the way did you watch/tape Sunset Boulevard?

Thanks JayDee! I'm glad you enjoyed the review. I'd definitely recommend you give it a watch.

You know, it completely slipped my mind. I'll rent it soon though, or catch it next time it's on.

Also thanks to everyone else who has given me +rep.

INVICTUS (2009)
Directed by: Clint Eastwood
Starring: Morgan Freeman, Matt Damon & Tony Kgoroge

With his 2009 offering Invictus, director Clint Eastwood has successfully translated the heartwarming and inspirational story of South Africa's 1995 Rugby World Cup triumph to the big screen.

Very much central to the story and vital to the film's success is Morgan Freeman in his Oscar-nominated role as the then newly elected South African President Nelson Mandela. In all honesty, I have to commend the man simply for taking this role on - I can only imagine the pressure that comes with playing one of the most inspirational and well-respected men of our generation. But, Morgan Freeman being Morgan Freeman, I came to realise that his talent and commitment to the role was never in doubt. He pulls it off once again with his trademark power, finesse and, above all, accuracy.
Matt Damon, as Springboks captain Francois Pienaar, is very good, as is most of the rest of the cast, but the film is not without it's lapses in terms of performances. Luckily most of these come from minor characters, but occasionally the dialogue can sound a little forced or cliched.

The subject matter of the film means a fair bit of time is taken up by Rugby scenes. Predominantly, they are excellently done and the filmmakers make good use of those crunching, scraping and crushing sounds as well as intimate camera work to make you feel as if you are at the heart of the action. The accuracy problems most if not all sport films have is present though and some things, especially to someone who follows the sport, might not add up - technically or in terms of how the players/officials act. This is understandable though. You have to find a balance of accuracy and entertainment in these situations and for the most part that is achieved.
Invictus is a nice movie. Nothing more, nothing less. Apart from perhaps Freeman's performance, there is nothing groundbreaking but it is as far as I can tell an accurate portrait of the man and the events, and an interesting pseudo-documentary that is also entertaining on a dramatic level, and works whether you're a fan of the sport or not. A nice way to spend 2 hours.
Verdict:

This movie is really fantastic.I really liked it very much.
The story of the movie is very entertaining & heart touching.

LARS AND THE REAL GIRL (2007)
Directed by: Craig Gillespie
Starring: Ryan Gosling, Emily Mortimer & Paul Schneider

Films like this are hard to come by nowadays, in a movie industry dominated by summer blockbusters. Thank god for movies like Lars and the Real Girl, because when such delightful little gems, filled to the brim with warmth and a genuine heart, come along, a little of my faith is restored.

Perhaps the most amazing thing about it is that it manages this feat all on a premise that on first hearing, sounds 100% ridiculous. One reviewer before me remarked that, "it's nothing less than a miracle that [the filmmakers] have been able to make such an endearing, intelligent and tender comedy from a premise that, in other hands, might sustain a five-minute sketch on TV". To me, this is completely on the nose and indeed nothing short of a miracle.

In a role seemingly built for him, Ryan Gosling once again impresses as the cripplingly shy but incredibly kindly Lars, who develops a unique relationship with a doll, "Bianca", whom he orders off the internet. As his family and the inhabitants of his small town get to grips with his delusion, we see a story unfold that is a tribute to human kindness, tolerance and a willingness to sacrifice to help another - positive attributes seemingly lacking both in modern film and society at large. But I honestly felt as if I was watching something real here.
Such striking originality is also a rarity now and a concept such as this could quite easily have been derailed by a less talented directing/writing team. Nancy Oliver's script flows seamlessly and duly delivers with the obvious humor the idea provides, but never ruins it by taking it into the realms of cheesiness or mockery. More impressive is her ability to weave genuine heart-felt drama into a story that could have easily (but wrongly) taken a purely comedic route. That thoroughly touching drama is where the film is at its best and, I can't stress this enough, to make an audience really, deeply feel for a character and the events surrounding an inanimate object, indirectly through Lars' relationship and the people's reaction, is to me something absolutely incredible and a result of some genius writing. Oscar nod deserved.

In the director's chair, Craig Gillespie facilitates said wonderful script brilliantly, resulting in fantastic performances from Emily Mortimer and Paul Schneider, as Lars' worried but altogether supportive brother and sister-in-law, as well as the entire supporting cast. The cinematography of the small Canadian towns where the film was shot is fantastically intimate and serene, just as I would imagine them to be, and captures the mood of the film and the township's character perfectly.

Not everyone will like Lars and the Real Girl. It is severely lacking in car chases, explosions and gun battles, or any kind of excitement for that matter. But if you're looking for something real, something that will move you, something that will let you experience a piece of absolute genuine humanity, then I urge you to pick it up and give it a watch. Magnificent.
Verdict:

P.S. Thanks to JayDee for indirectly recommending this by putting it in his top 100. Good. Freaking. Pick.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
P.S. Thanks to JayDee for indirectly recommending this by putting it in his top 100. Good. Freaking. Pick.
Thank you very much Skepsis. Although I resent the fact that you wrote a better review of the film than I did! How dare you!!!

Quick Reviews #1!

Adaptation. (2002)
A great script and wonderful performances by Meryl Streep, Chris Cooper and especially Nicholas Cage. A must watch for fans of Charlie Kaufman - gives a genuine insight into his mind and process as a screenwriter, even if it is blown out of proportion somewhat by the exaggerated (but great) storyline.

Black Dynamite (2009)
Could be the best comedy of the last decade. Riotously funny from start to finish, whether or not you're familiar with the 70s "blaxploitation" movies it references.

Lord of War (2005)
So-so in every conceivable way. Not a waste of time, but also certainly not a great use of it. Cage was decent whist Jared Leto continues to bring his massively bloated ego to everything he does (suffice it to say I'm not a fan of his and his mere presence was the most annoying part of the film).

Pleasantville (1998)
So. Much. Fun. Loved every minute of it. The cast, setting and script were all fantastic - I could watch this one over and over. And over.

Black Dynamite (2009)
Could be the best comedy of the the last decade. Riotously funny from start to finish, whether or not you're familiar with the 70s "blaxploitation" movies it references.
Sir, I think you're right. Brilliant film and actually funny, unlike most comedies. There again, I love the the films it parodies.

Sir, I think you're right. Brilliant film and actually funny, unlike most comedies. There again, I love the the films it parodies.
See, I'm not really up on blaxploitation movies at all, and I still found it absolutely hilarious. I get the concept of the parody but I can only imagine how funny it would be if you get all the obscure references.

I agree that in jokes make thing funnier, but I do think it's a genuinely funny film. Glad to see you thought so too. I think the great thing about the film was that it parodied storylines and conventions more than individual incidents.

I agree that in jokes make thing funnier, but I do think it's a genuinely funny film. Glad to see you thought so too. I think the great thing about the film was that it parodied storylines and conventions more than individual incidents.
Absolutely. The deliberate goofs (boom-mic in shot, guy curbs car door, forgets to put hand brake on) were some of the best parts of the movie for me and I assume are homages/parodies unto themselves.

By the way, if you haven't already I recommend you check out the "Nerdist" podcast's Black Dynamite panel they did back in April. Very funny and informative interview with Director Scott Sanders and Writers/Stars Michael Jai White and Byron Minns. Pretty sure you can still get it free on iTunes.

Trust was a quality movie. Owen Wilson gave such a great performance in it. Thanks for the recommendation! (sort of) lol.

HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS: PART 2
Directed by: David Yates
Starring: You should freakin' know by now. Jeez.

Some of you might already know my views regarding the Harry Potter franchise - that the books are perfect, and the films are not. I've stuck with that for a long time. Going into The Deathly Hallows: Part 2 tonight, I expected more of the same - a loving but fundamentally flawed homage to what I consider the best series of books ever written. Happily though, I was proven wrong this time - it's a brilliant finale.

Perhaps my mindset changed more than anything. I consciously decided to try and look at this one as a stand-alone film, rather than an adaptation, and I think that helped. Rather than thinking, "that wasn't in the book", I thought, "hey, that's a nice addition".

A genuine emotion is brought to the performances here by the cast - there are many, many sad moments in the story and they are executed extremely well, something lacking in the previous installments. I wasn't even annoyed by Michael Gambon as much as I usually am. Throw in the usual stellar special effects and action sequences and you've got yourself a movie.

I was extremely pleased to see the very end of the movie stay faithful to the book - almost to the letter. As usual this is a spoiler-free review but those who have read will know. I thought it was extremely well done.

An extremely fitting conclusion, then. I may well add to this review tomorrow, I just wanted to get some thoughts posted while they were still fresh in my mind.
(Tentative) Verdict:

Quick Reviews #2!

Let the Right One In (2008)
Twilight fans take notice: this is how vampire flicks are done. Creepy with thriller & horror elements backed up wonderfully by the solemn, washed-out cinematography of the sleepy Swedish town that is the perfect setting for this story. What I loved most, though, was the offbeat romance at the heart of the film, and the two stunning performances by the young actors.

Blue Valentine (2010)
Would crumble completely without the awesome performances of its stars, Michelle Williams and Ryan Gosling. They drive the story forward remarkably well. For me, though, it was Gosling that deserved the Oscar nod if they were only giving out one.

Mulholland Drive (2001)
I quite seriously still cannot get this one out of my mind. There's just something about it, something explainable that's made me both excited and terrified to experience more of Lynch's work.

L.A. Confidential (1997)
A little hard to follow at times but I still really enjoyed it. Loved the performances, especially Spacey and Pearce.